Sports neurology: Emerging field or duplicate field?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HarveyCushing

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about this specialty as it is a fairly new field with a small group of clinicians specializing in it. While I understand what a neurologist brings to the patient, I'm just not sure how it is different than what a family physician or PM&R doc trained in sports medicine would bring to the equation. I guess this would be more neurology carving a niche in concussion and TBI treatment. But is that any different than what a sports medicine fellowship trained physician would do?

http://www.aan.com/go/about/sections/sports

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about this specialty as it is a fairly new field with a small group of clinicians specializing in it. While I understand what a neurologist brings to the patient, I'm just not sure how it is different than what a family physician or PM&R doc trained in sports medicine would bring to the equation. I guess this would be more neurology carving a niche in concussion and TBI treatment. But is that any different than what a sports medicine fellowship trained physician would do?

http://www.aan.com/go/about/sections/sports

ABPN is soon to start a TBI CAQ.

Can be money in sports neurolgy. I participated once in see wrestlers, paid in cash to sit there, enjoy the matches. I say again, CASH.

Combination of concussion evals and peripheral nerve stuff (carpal tunnel and other entrapment neuropathies, etc). Maybe some neck/spine stuff.

Neuro Clinics had a whole issue a couple years ago about sports neurology, you might want to check that out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Combination of concussion evals and peripheral nerve stuff (carpal tunnel and other entrapment neuropathies, etc). Maybe some neck/spine stuff.

Neuro Clinics had a whole issue a couple years ago about sports neurology, you might want to check that out.
sounds like PM&R....

Reactions: 1 user
ABPN is soon to start a TBI CAQ.

Can be money in sports neurolgy. I participated once in see wrestlers, paid in cash to sit there, enjoy the matches. I say again, CASH.

I have heard through the grapevines some fellowship are opening up in the near future. Is their a future for this? I assume with UFC, NFL, boxing, NHL...etc. there is enough concern about concussions that guidelines will be written. But does there need to be a neurologist doing this or could a FM sports med doc do just as good a job?

Any updates on this? It seems like sports neurology has really grown but honestly is a fellowship really required to be a sports neurologist? Seems like itd be similar to dementia in that there isn't much to offer in terms of treatment of concussion out of the scope of general neurology but there is plenty of research available to participate it.

Im kind of intrigued by this field but I also want to know if there is actual money in this and is there are market for it? some of these fellowship programs talk about treating migraines and peripheral nerve stuff but doesn't seem very procedure oriented.

Listen, I am all about expanding the reach of neurology. Do you need a fellowship to take care of healthy athletes? I don't think I need to answer that. I look at any specialty that starts with 'Sports' as a place for people to take care of people that aren't that sick.

Reactions: 1 user