Sports Medicine 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SportsMedDrToBe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied to over 30 programs for this year's Match (FM), and so far (as of the first week of August) every Program that has emailed me has said that they have not started reviewing their applications yet. Has anyone gotten any interviews or contact from a Program that says otherwise?

Anyone got an interview yet?

How many interviews should I realistically go to?

Members don't see this ad.

I've gotten one invite so far. I'd love to know the ideal number of interviews to take. I'm hoping to be able to take at least 7 or so. I applied to 22 places, so pretty broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Before fellowships went to ERAS (aka I applied during the last year of no ERAS), most fellowships had deadlines of aug/sept to turn in your application, and interviews were usually from end of sept - november. I never got the invites until late Aug. Mind you the first 2 months of fellowship is pretty much knowing the ins and outs of the program, fellows conference, and prepping for football, so a lot of programs won't start really looking until the end of August (beginning of football season). Best of luck to everyone!

Looking back to the 13/14 match in eras I got my first interview invite mid Aug and my last invite last week of oct. I believe I applied to 20 ish programs mostly in mid east and south east. I received 14 iv and went on about 13. (I could drive to many from my location). Good Luck!

Thanks everyone for sharing. Continue to contribute if you have anything else to add!

I applied to 11. Got my first offer this morning. Was told by the PD of the program that I'm rotating at now that they don't usually start looking till end of Aug. Same thing for my home institution's program.

I applied to 11. Got my first offer this morning. Was told by the PD of the program that I'm rotating at now that they don't usually start looking till end of Aug. Same thing for my home institution's program.

Does anyone have any idea of how many applications a program might get? Small community program vs big name university/D1?
I have received one interview invitation and only gotten a few "we have received your application" emails. Only one of my letters has been uploaded so far and I'm paranoid this is going to burn me if they aren't in soon. Not sure if the lack of letters is why I haven't even gotten more of those initial emails. Ughhh.

Does anyone have any idea of how many applications a program might get? Small community program vs big name university/D1?
I have received one interview invitation and only gotten a few "we have received your application" emails. Only one of my letters has been uploaded so far and I'm paranoid this is going to burn me if they aren't in soon. Not sure if the lack of letters is why I haven't even gotten more of those initial emails. Ughhh.
Wouldn't sweat it. I don't think it's uncommon for many programs to not even review applications until the end of August.

How can I tell if a Program has downloaded my paperwork yet (LORs, PS, Transcript)? When I click on 'track assigned documents' it just shows me 'Available - 7/15/16.'

Which programs are people getting invites from? I am PM&R by training, applied to only 12 programs, half primary care and half PM&R. It's a risk applying narrowly, but I am picky regarding where I go, and if it doesn't work out it wasn't meant to be for me. But of course now hearing mostly crickets thus far, I'm nervous..

Which programs are people getting invites from? I am PM&R by training, applied to only 12 programs, half primary care and half PM&R. It's a risk applying narrowly, but I am picky regarding where I go, and if it doesn't work out it wasn't meant to be for me. But of course now hearing mostly crickets thus far, I'm nervous..
12 is narrow? Yikes.

Mine were all primary care as I'm coming from FM residency.

I thought it was, most people I know are applying to 20+

Members don't see this ad :)
MSU (Michigan State) contact me this morning stating that they will not start reviewing their applications until the FIRST WEEK of OCTOBER. Also they mentioned that they are only interviewing 12 applicants. Interviewing really late no?

How many should I apply to? Depends on:
1. Your specialty (FM, IM, EM, Peds, PM&R)
2. Where you want to end up (location) (Only want to live on East/West Coast, in the South, Midwest, Mid-Atlantic, Northwest etc.)
3. Any restrictions to state (CA & TX) for your medical school (applies to IMGs)?
4. What type of career you are looking for? (Non-surgical ortho option, add-on to your primary FM/peds clinic, teaching position etc)
5. Are you military? [Military docs may be restricted (??)]

Personally I only want to do a fellowship at a large University/D1 program. There are a ton of community-based programs (most of them).
There are 120 for FM, 7 for EM, 16 for Peds, and 15 for PM&R. There are some additional Programs that are not accepting applications on ERAS.

Maybe you apply to 10?20?30?50?100+? This is different from residency. Less competition. Can you realistically take off time for 20 different interviews? Can you afford to fly/drive to that many interviews? Will your Program give you enough time off for all of these interviews? These are all questions you should ask yourself when trying to decide how many Programs to apply to. Thoughts/Comments?

Which programs have sent out invites for interviews already? FM here applying to 13 programs in the Midwest and only a handful have even downloaded my app and most have said they don't start reviewing apps until end of aug/oct. Just curious.

Which programs have sent out invites for interviews already? FM here applying to 13 programs in the Midwest and only a handful have even downloaded my app and most have said they don't start reviewing apps until end of aug/oct. Just curious.

How do you know if they downloaded your app?

Don't worry they will come. My program had not started reviewing applications yet for the reasons mentioned.

Is there any benefit to interviewing as early as possible? Got an interview invite and given a choice between October and November. November works better for me as I have another commitment on the October interview date. I could cancel that commitment and make it to the interview if interviewing early is important. What do you guys think? Thanks for the advice!

I hope to interview as early as possible, but only because I'm super pregnant and want to get the travel done safely and comfortably...otherwise I see no advantage. Curious as to others thoughts.

Is there any benefit to interviewing as early as possible? Got an interview invite and given a choice between October and November. November works better for me as I have another commitment on the October interview date. I could cancel that commitment and make it to the interview if interviewing early is important. What do you guys think? Thanks for the advice!
I think you just interview when you can interview. Between limited days off and travel I think you have to just get them when you can. Especially since some places are really limited on date options.

Any fellows, grads or faculty that care to weigh in on how many interviews is a good number to attend? How many applicants are interviewed at a program. I'm sure a community FM program is different than a large university with 4 fellows. Thanks

In my opinion I would say get the interviews done as early as you can. There will be programs that you are waitlisted on and late in the season they may come asking about an interview. If you schedule for the later dates you might be booked if a program contacts you.

Anyone know how many people (on average) get interviewed for each fellowship position (like in FM residency its usually 8-10:1)?

Anyone know how many people (on average) get interviewed for each fellowship position (like in FM residency its usually 8-10:1)?
Nah I can't imagine it's that many. I saw something from one program that said they interview 18-20 people for their spot. So I'd think somewhere in there.

Hopefully this is the week the invites start rolling in.

Any idea on when is the latest programs tend to interview. Trying to decide if I need to switch blocks around to allow more flexibility in nov/dec

Any idea on when is the latest programs tend to interview. Trying to decide if I need to switch blocks around to allow more flexibility in nov/dec
I was under the impression that most interview between October and November.

I know Duke and Oregon State only have 2 or 3 dates in November.

Not exactly...4 total now. Hoping for more, but the hope dwindles every day that I don't get another one. Thinking maybe I over-estimated myself and should have applied more broadly, but also couldn't afford to and only want to live/work in certain regions. :arghh:

Reactions: 1 user
8 offers and 1 rejection so far for me. I've noticed some of the programs who have offered had their application deadlines as Sept 1st. Maybe programs wait for all apps to be in before deciding to,offer interviews?

Last edited:
4 total, no rejects. feeling good cause my top choices offered.

Anyone have any suggestions on good questions to ask during an interview? Interested to hear from current and recent fellows. Anything you wish u would have known or asked?

Also, anything that an applicant should look out for during the interview and tour? Red flag things? For example one fellow told me to watch the interaction between ortho Surg and the pcsm program and try to gauge whether surgery is supportive of the primary care fellows.

Thanks in advanced!

FF

Reactions: 1 users
Heard from several Programs today as far as updates, most of them were either currently reviewing their applications or will start Oct 1 and decide thereafter. One PD said this year he received the most applications ever.

Is this in response to you emailing programs or unprovoked?
Oct 1 seems late to start reviewing as most places I've heard from have their latest interviews in mid Nov. Isn't the rank list due around late Nov?

Provoked by calls/emails. Yes very late I thought as well. They will be cutting it close for the amount of time to interview and our amount of time to set/make the actual interview (scheduling wise).

I think rank list is due on December 14th.
Oct 1st is not late at all, because traditionally that has been the due date for most programs.
Before ERAS, a lot of the due dates for applications (paper applications!) were due Sept 15/Oct 1. Interview season was around Sept - Nov. I applied the last year where everything was paper before the match.
I remember going to the AMSSM meetings about the pending join on ERAS, and a lot of people were complaining that July open date for applications was too early, because none of us even looked at applications until September. Apparently it was a decision by ERAS to open the app cycle in July, to coincide with the other subspecialties.

Remember that July/August is crucial to fellows. We have about 6-8 weeks to teach fellows as much about sideline coverage and logistics before football starts. This is why programs don't start looking at apps until end of August/Sept (even Oct)

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 1st is not late at all, because traditionally that has been the due date for most programs.
Before ERAS, a lot of the due dates for applications (paper applications!) were due Sept 15/Oct 1. Interview season was around Sept - Nov. I applied the last year where everything was paper before the match.
I remember going to the AMSSM meetings about the pending join on ERAS, and a lot of people were complaining that July open date for applications was too early, because none of us even looked at applications until September. Apparently it was a decision by ERAS to open the app cycle in July, to coincide with the other subspecialties.

Remember that July/August is crucial to fellows. We have about 6-8 weeks to teach fellows as much about sideline coverage and logistics before football starts. This is why programs don't start looking at apps until end of August/Sept (even Oct)
Good to know.

I'm doing a rotation with a D1 program now and the faculty reassured me that their program and a lot of others are so busy with football and such that they don't even sit down and really sift through apps until after their application due date (for then the end of this month) so it's not surprising a lot of places haven't sent invites yet.

Reactions: 2 users
Wassup folks. Havent been on SDN since before medical school. Wanted to stop in and say wassup. I have 7 interviews and 1 rejection. Things have been quiet on my end for the past couple of weeks but its all good. Good luck to all!