Spinal tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliDreamin4Life

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting to do a lot of joints and struggling with entering intrathecal space in those old ASA3's with significant osteoarthritis and/or kyphosis. Tips? Routines? Advice welcome.

My OB spinals are fine...

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

My really experienced attendings who are always the backup/go to guy for the difficult ones often go paramedian in this population.

Haven't done enough myself to tell a difference, but I trust their experience immensely.

Bigger needle. Don't worry they won't get a headache.
Also going lower--even l5-s1 sometimes makes it easier

Members don't see this ad :)
22g needle. Paramedian helps. When you hit os, ask the patient where they feel it deep in your back and redirect from there.

If you are going to go midline, find the spinous process and place between your two fingers. Wiggle back and forth to convince yourself that the spinous process is inbetween those two fingers (gives midline). Then localize just above the top tip of this process. This is imperative it is just above that top corner of the spinous process. With your local needle, go straight in. Since most spinous processes are angled down, you should hit OS if you go straight in. Walk the local needle up that process. This gives you midline and angle. Placing the spinal needle is way easier after this.

The problem I see is people try and put the local and spinal needle in the MIDDLE of the space between the two processes. When you hit Os in this scenario, you have no idea what you are hitting. Is it the process above? Process below? Lamina? Facet? But if you do what I suggest and you hit Os going straight in, you know exactly where you are and how to redirect. It makes a huge difference.

Also to reiterate a comment above - I had an attending once tell me, the best spinal needle is an 18g Touhy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The largest interspace is L5/S1 in most patients. A paramedian approach is easier than the midline approach for the most part. The spinous processes are sometimes elongated and the interspinous ligament is calcified in some. Occasionally one side of the interlaminar space is smaller than the other due to a more inferior extending lamina on one side. Sharp needles are easier to pass through hypertrophied and calcified ligaments than blunts. The sitting position is the easiest to identify the anatomy by palpation compared to lateral position. Prone position placement is more difficult than sitting or lateral positioning due to the interlaminar windows being smaller in the neutral or slightly hyperextended position of lying prone. If a lateral position or prone position placement is necessary, placement in 20 degrees reverse Trendelenburg will make identification of the subarachnoid space easier due to producing an increased hydrostatic pressure (the hydrostatic pressures in the lateral or prone positions without reverse T may be very low in some patients requiring significant time before efflux is seen from the needle). Another trick is to attach a syringe and aspirate on advancement beyond the skin. Note: the interlaminar ligament is frequently hypertrophied at the same level as a disc herniation making it sometimes more of a challenge to penetrate. Finally, in issues of critical spinal stenosis, there may not be any CSF at all flowing distally beyond the level of the stenosis. Therefore, if a spinal block is placed at L5S1, there may be no spinal fluid at all obtained, resulting in multiple attempts and penetrations at that level, with an increased risk of nerve injury. If an injection is somehow performed at a level without CSF due to critical stenosis above, it results in a very patchy block that is limited to a few inferior dermatomes. Pronounced lumbar flexion can increase the cross-sectional area at a level of critical spinal stenosis, and thereby increase the flow of CSF across this level.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Positioning is uuuuuuge in the orthopedic neuraxial crowd. Since their windows are likely narrowed by arthritic changes and calcifications, it is even more important to optimize their position than in the OB crowd. Assuming you are doing these sitting on either the OR table or gurney, bring over a stool or chair for the pt to put their feet up up. This helps the pelvis roll forward a bit and take the lumbar lordosis out of their back a bit more. Try it yourself sometime and see how much easier it is to curl up with your feet elevated. You can also use a padded mayo to let them rest their head and arms on to slouch even more.

Starting to do a lot of joints and struggling with entering intrathecal space in those old ASA3's with significant osteoarthritis and/or kyphosis. Tips? Routines? Advice welcome.

My OB spinals are fine...

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

They are hard sometimes. I use a 22g whitacre for all my TKA/THA/TURP patients. I find it cuts through the calcified ligaments and doesn't bend as easily.

Just feel where the space is and stick it in

Reactions: 1 users
Algos is right. It might not be their hip but the critical spinal stenosis that is actually causing the pain.

Have a low threshold for switching levels (or sides if paramedian). If I feel confident in my landmarks and I don't get in after a couple attempts, I assume it might not be possible there. Do enough injections on arthritic/scoliosis folks under fluoro and you'll see how impossible it'd be blind if you pick a tough spot.

And yes, bigger needle. If you need an introducer it's not big enough.