Speeding Ticket

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

narutoverse13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, a few weeks ago, I got a speeding ticket for going 80 in a 55 on the highway. Now, the officer didn't put reckless endangerment on the ticket, and I was actually able to get defensive driving approved for the ticket and only had to pay court costs, so the ticket should NOT be on my record. Would this count as a misdemeanor and would I have to report it on the AMCAS application despite the ticket never really being "on" my record? Do you recommend I run a background check on myself?

Members don't see this ad.

So, a few weeks ago, I got a speeding ticket for going 80 in a 55 on the highway. Now, the officer didn't put reckless endangerment on the ticket, and I was actually able to get defensive driving approved for the ticket and only had to pay court costs, so the ticket should NOT be on my record. Would this count as a misdemeanor and would I have to report it on the AMCAS application despite the ticket never really being "on" my record? Do you recommend I run a background check on myself?

Amcas asks for misdemeanors and felonies. Schools sometimes ask for moving violations, although this is school specific, but most ask not to include tickets. To your question, I am not aware of your state specific code on what constitutes a misdemeanor traffic violation.

Check that with your favorite internet search engine.

But regardless, this will not be a blemish on your app or impact your chances.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Does this mean you weren't actually charged with the ticket? Or that you were, took it to court and were acquitted or got it dismissed? All three of those would be different situations.

I honestly don't know how much it varies by state, but typically a standard speeding ticket is a moving violation or a traffic infraction, not a misdemeanor/felony. Your court paperwork should specify exactly what it was you were charged with, and you should be able to figure it out from there. You could probably go talk to the county clerk and ask if you've got an afternoon to kill and don't mind being patient.

Regardless, med schools typically don't ask about moving violations and they don't show up on most background checks. Misdemeanors are different, obviously.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol. It's prolly a summary charge, OP... and it don't mean ****. Sleep easy.

Reactions: 2 users
There are only a few states to my knowledge that make speeding a misdemeanor. Other states have a completely separate system for classifying speeding tickets so that they are neither misdemeanors nor felonies but rather traffic violations. I know of at least one state where even a DUI is a traffic violation and not technically a misdemeanor or felony, although the specific reporting requirements might be murky.

I'm from a state where any speeding violation is a misdemeanor, which I found out after I had submitted my AMCAS application. I called the schools that had accepted me to see if it would be a problem. They basically rolled their eyes at me and told me not to worry about it. If I were you, I'd run a background check on myself to see what shows up. If the speeding violation shows up as a misdemeanor, put it on your AMCAS just for disclosure's sake and rest easy knowing that a speeding ticket, regardless of classification, isn't going to affect your chances for admission.

@narutoverse13

I had this happen to me in VA, 80 in a 70 and they gave me reckless driving speeding (with my bright yellow NY license plates). As soon as you contest it they offer you a $120 fine for defective brake light or some nonsense and it's gone forever. This is not the kind of thing Certiphi would show nor is it my understanding that any school will care whatsoever.

If you're worried, you can run the background check in a month or so after things are settled just to make sure. Also consider printing an abstract of your driving record (usually online through DMV) at the same time to compare reports.

Really though, you're gonna be fine!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I think it's really unlucky if you come from a state that speeding is a misdemeanor and then that reflects on your background check for med school admissions...like AMCAS should just have a general rule that moving violations don't matter. Or if they do matter, list the ones they care about.

[quote

Check that with your favorite internet search engine.

[/QUOTE]

Mine is google. I also like being hijacked by bing

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

A misdemeanor is 30 more then the limit. If the cop didn't cuff you then it isn't a misdemeanor. (Disclaimer that's for most states).

The easiest way to solve this is to go to your states dmv and have them print your driving record. If the offense is listed it will say if it was a criminal charge or not, and if not then your good. You would only need to report it if they specifically asked.

And you would think that it's silly that they ask but when I took a federal job with the USDA they dug into my history and pulled up everything including my failure to stop at a blinking red light.
Luckily my paranoid self had reported it otherwise they would have fired me on the spot for not giving them my whole history all the way back to which nut the sperm that made me came from. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
lol damn I need to stop speeding. I get pulled over all the time but my adorableness let's me off. ;)

Anyone know what the rules for CA is?

I must say I am very aware of my driving behavior

pretty sure speeding isn't a misdemeanor in CA lol

CA has three separate categories of tickets: parking, infractions, and misdemeanor. Parking tickets are pretty self-explanatory. Infractions generally include offenses like speeding or running a stop sign, etc. More serious traffic offenses get lumped into the misdemeanor category and these are usually used for more egregious offenses. So like driving without a license or excessive speeding. I'm not sure what level of speeding would cause the ticket to be bumped from an infraction to a misdemeanor or how much discretion the police officer has.

Just a heads up, you don't need to be "cuffed" by a cop to have a misdemeanor. In some states (especially in VA, where this is a huge concern), you will get cited for a misdemeanor if going 25+ over the speed limit. A lot of people will think they simply got a regular speeding ticket but later realize it's an actual misdemeanor (i.e.- shows up on background checks). Be careful out on the road.

CA has three separate categories of tickets: parking, infractions, and misdemeanor. Parking tickets are pretty self-explanatory. Infractions generally include offenses like speeding or running a stop sign, etc. More serious traffic offenses get lumped into the misdemeanor category and these are usually used for more egregious offenses. So like driving without a license or excessive speeding. I'm not sure what level of speeding would cause the ticket to be bumped from an infraction to a misdemeanor or how much discretion the police officer has.
How much over the speed limit (65mph) on CA freeway will result a speeding ticket?

I must say I am very aware of my driving behavior

In California 30 or move over the limit is considered criminal. But anything under that is considered just a moving violation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much over the speed limit (65mph) on CA freeway will result a speeding ticket?
dang you're really interested in this, you speedin' in CA daily or what? hahaha

@narutoverse13

I had this happen to me in VA, 80 in a 70 and they gave me reckless driving speeding (with my bright yellow NY license plates). As soon as you contest it they offer you a $120 fine for defective brake light or some nonsense and it's gone forever. This is not the kind of thing Certiphi would show nor is it my understanding that any school will care whatsoever.

If you're worried, you can run the background check in a month or so after things are settled just to make sure. Also consider printing an abstract of your driving record (usually online through DMV) at the same time to compare reports.

Really though, you're gonna be fine!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hmm, my mid-western state license plate didn't get me a reckless driving ticket for going 80 in a 70 on Rt 81. Maybe they don't like New Yorkers? The ticket wasn't cheap though. As a student, the thought occurred to me that fines should be set at a base, but then indexed to income. What does a billionaire care about a $450 ticket? It could ruin the next 5 years of an unemployed former coal miner in Appalachia though... simply doesn't feel like justice to me.

dang you're really interested in this, you speedin' in CA daily or what? hahaha
Just about everyone speeds in CA...IF you happen to be lucky enough not to be stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. Old joke about the 210 freeway in the LA area...Is 210 the name of the freeway or the speed limit? :D

It depends on your state. Some states classify speeding as a classified misdemeanor, and technically in Virginia, if you were pulled over, you were "arrested."

Just about everyone speeds in CA...IF you happen to be lucky enough not to be stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. Old joke about the 210 freeway in the LA area...Is 210 the name of the freeway or the speed limit? :D
i'm from california

And do you drive at 65 when you're not in bumper to bumper? Most freeways the traffic flow is closer to 75-80.

haha what's your point. i'm not arguing with you about how i drive dude!