MD & DO Specialties In Medicine Podcast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpecialtiesInMedicine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Medical Students<

We are two 3rd year medical students tasked with the decision of our lifetimes’: choosing which specialty in medicine we will ultimately pursue. Despite our limited exposure and lack of first hand accounts in the numerous fields of medicine, we are forced to choose one for residency. In the search to find where lies our interest, statistics proved abundant while personal perspectives were limited. Residency is the next step in defining your identity as a medical professional after receiving your degree, but how do you know you'll be making the correct choice? This is where the premise of Specialties in Medicine was born.

In this podcast, our main goal is to explore numerous specialties throughout medicine and inquire about first hand perspectives from physicians who live it everyday. We discuss many topics including the physician's path into medicine and residency, how each specialty is changing, what populations are seen,but MOST IMPORTANTLY we emphasize the human aspect... the motives and influences that have forged their careers. Are they happy with their life decisions and would they do it again? What advice do they wish they had beforehand?

At the end of every episode, we discuss statistics for residency (avg Step scores, quantity of applicants accepted, etc), in addition to stats about each specialty (avg salary, hours worked weekly, satisfaction scores).

If you have a few minutes and would like to listen to the intro, please do! Also, our first episode is posted so please let us know what feedback you may have. As always, study hard but do not forget to take time for yourself! Thanks for allowing me to share this with you all and I hope it may be helpful in your future.

Episode 2: Emergency Medicine - In process

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
need to get info about plastic surgery and peads
which speciality is better to choose

need to get info about plastic surgery and peads
which speciality is better to choose
That is a pretty night and day choice, I don't think you could have picked two more separate specialties to consider. The most important thing before thinking about both of these is are you a US medical school graduate and what are your step scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have a look at pages 243 for plastics and 217 for pediatrics. Note that there were 3 people in the entire world that matched plastic surgery in the united states that graduated from foreign medical schools, and they most likely had completed a plastic surgery residency at home first and did research fellowships over here in america before applying to plastic surgery. Pediatrics is much more manageable for a foreign graduate.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-IMGs-2016.pdf

thank you so much for ur concern
i am not interested to apply for usa
i have the freedom to choose the residency programme as i will pay for the residency