All Branch Topic (ABT) Specializing.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

P0W3RL1FT3R

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how specializing in the armed forces works?

Members don't see this ad.

They have their own residencies... you apply to those residencies. There is a phone interview if they select to interview you. Some residencies are in multiple locations, some are only in one. If you get it they will put you at one of those locations and you can rank which one you want the most, no guarantee you'll get it.

They have their own residencies... you apply to those residencies. There is a phone interview if they select to interview you. Some residencies are in multiple locations, some are only in one. If you get it they will put you at one of those locations and you can rank which one you want the most, no guarantee you'll get it.
Are you also allowed to apply to civilian programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I take it the numbers aren't posted anywhere specific? lol..
Oral Surgery takes about half that apply right out of dental school, the 2 year AEGD takes about half that apply from dental school, The one year aegd a little less than half. Endo takes pretty much no one and wants you to do an AEGD, Same for perio but a little higher chance than endo. Pedo and ortho you need to practice for a bit in the army, and prosth I have no idea. This is for the army.

Amazing training (up to par with the best civilian programs), amazing patients and amazing pay (well, it beats the heck out of any stipend you may get on the outside). You get an additional ADSO (active duty service obligation) when you finish training, which means you get additional experience post-residency without having the stress of finding a practice... Then again, I'm probably biased ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Amazing training (up to par with the best civilian programs), amazing patients and amazing pay (well, it beats the heck out of any stipend you may get on the outside). You get an additional ADSO (active duty service obligation) when you finish training, which means you get additional experience post-residency without having the stress of finding a practice... Then again, I'm probably biased ;)
I'm assuming you specialized military. Did you find it any more or less competitive to specialize than your civilian peers applying to civilian residencies?

I'm assuming you specialized military. Did you find it any more or less competitive to specialize than your civilian peers applying to civilian residencies?
I'd say more competitive, but it's probably specialty dependent. In the Navy, I believe 8 people applied for pedo the last cycle and they chose 1. You'll have better odds than 8:1 on the civilian side. I think ortho was 12:1. I don't have the selection list in front of me. I'll try to remember to update this.

Big Hoss

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So if you have an opportunity to specialize during the 4 year payback time does it still count as a neutral year or does it count as a payback year? I know that the AEGD and a GPR does not count as a payback year

So if you have an opportunity to specialize during the 4 year payback time does it still count as a neutral year or does it count as a payback year? I know that the AEGD and a GPR does not count as a payback year

So you want to the spend your entire payback period getting more training ? How is that fair to the military (after having dished hundreds of thousands of dollars in your dental school education)?

If you specialize you will have an ADSO (active duty service obligation) requirement after your are done - Usually 3-4 years (depending on what residency you complete)

Reactions: 1 user
So you want to the spend your entire payback period getting more training ? How is that fair to the military (after having dished hundreds of thousands of dollars in your dental school education)?

If you specialize you will have an ADSO (active duty service obligation) requirement after your are done - Usually 3-4 years (depending on what residency you complete)
That isn't what I ever wanted to do or thought I could do. It was a simple question so relax buddy.