Southern College of Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waapo2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I applied to SCO recently. I got an email from SCO saying my OAT was low and that they wanted me to retake it. However, I received interviews from UAB, ICO, and NOVA. Is there a chance I could get into SCO with my stats?
Here are my stats:
CUM GPA: 3.46
SCI GPA: 3.15
AA: 300
TS: 310
BIO: 310
GEN CHEM: 320
ORG CHEM: 320
PHYSICS: 280
READING: 290
QUANTI. REASONING: 290
SHADOWING HOURS: 72 HOURS
Volunteer/Extracurricular (over 100 hours): Undergraduate Research, Biology Peer Learning Assistant, Biology Teaching Assistant, Volunteer at elementary school science fair, volunteer at Chick-fil-a half-marathon, UGA Pre-Optometry club Secretary, UGA Science Olympiad Volunteer, UGA Snelling Dining Hall Employee, UGA 9th grade visit Tour Guide.

HONORS/AWARDS: Dean's List, Georgia HOPE Scholarship, Tracey E. Smith Scholarship, and Patterson Family Scholarship (in recognition of academic achievement).

Members don't see this ad.

If you really wanna go to this school and they asked you to retake the OAT, then you should probably do it. But your interview lineup looks pretty solid so far. Good luck!

If they asked you to retake the OAT for reconsideration, how is there a chance you'd get into it with those same scores??

Members don't see this ad :)
SCO is undeniably a great school, but ICO and NOVA are also fantastic options (don't know enough about UAB to judge). If I already had interviews lined up at some of the best schools in the nation, personally, I wouldnt retest unless I had a substantial list of reasons why SCO is a better options than any of the alternatives. So I guess now the questions become are there any particular reasons why you have such a great desire to go to SCO? And are they worth it to go through the effort to retest? And would you be okay going to any of your second/third/fourth choices?

Reactions: 1 user
I should have looked at this thread before replying to you on the Class of 2022. I'm about to be a first year at SCO and from my experience from last cycle, they almost put the OAT above GPA. If they recommend retaking it- I'd retake it. The class fills up fast so I doubt they'll consider you unless you retake it.