Sorta fell off the wagon. What's changed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthomyxo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was interested in medical school a few years ago but never applied. I am finally working with physicians in a clinical setting, and am pretty much dead set on it at this point. But now I'm kinda lost at where to even begin.

I have a BS in biology so I'm pretty sure I've covered all the pre-reqs (unless the requirements are now different). I did graduate in 2013 though and I'm not sure how long those grades are "good" for. Do DO schools still do grade replacement, e.g. you retake a course and they use the most recent grade to calculate GPA?

Also can someone briefly explain how the application cycle works?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

grade replacement is no longer a thing. your grades will always be reported. I would say only time they don't count as much is if you finished college took 10-15 years to work and then took classes they would still look at all of them but probably look at the more recent ones more. Application cycle works by going to aacomas for do and filling out their applications for each school then submitting. that is of course the basic rundown. feel free to pm specific questions if you want

grade replacement is no longer a thing. your grades will always be reported. I would say only time they don't count as much is if you finished college took 10-15 years to work and then took classes they would still look at all of them but probably look at the more recent ones more. Application cycle works by going to aacomas for do and filling out their applications for each school then submitting. that is of course the basic rundown. feel free to pm specific questions if you want
Thanks for replying. I'm not sure if you were referring to this when you mentioned the 10-15 year thing, but I just want to clarify that the grades for pre-reqs I took in 2009 for example are not considered "too old" for consideration. I know that all the grades will go into AACOMAS regardless but wasn't sure if that's a thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for replying. I'm not sure if you were referring to this when you mentioned the 10-15 year thing, but I just want to clarify that the grades for pre-reqs I took in 2009 for example are not considered "too old" for consideration. I know that all the grades will go into AACOMAS regardless but wasn't sure if that's a thing.
From my knowledge yes they should count

Yea your grades are def not too old. And no, grade replacement is gone. PCOM and AZCOM are honoring it to a degree this cycle but likely gone for good after that.

If I were you I'd plan on taking the MCAT this upcoming February or thereabouts. In the meantime, id shadow a DO (having a DO LOR and general experience with one is important for DO app). Maybe start volunteering on weekends if you have time. In general, be proactive for your app.

Take the MCAT, do well ( you can do it! Use the AAMC real materials IMO) and apply early next cycle (cycle starts in May for DO, june for MD. The earlier the better)

I had pre-req. grades from 2003, your fine.