SOPHAS Application Confusion: Experiences vs. Resume

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConfusedAsUsual

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've just been looking over the application format for SOPHAS (will be applying for the 2018 cycle). I just have a couple of questions regarding supporting information:

1. What's the difference between "Experiences" and a brief CV/Resume? Wouldn't they highlight the same exact things?

2. What's considered "brief" for the CV/Resume? 1 page? I feel like that's hella brief though.

3. Under experiences, there only seems to be room for work, volunteer, and research experiences. What about leadership experiences from undergrad (i.e. being a resident assistant, orientation leader, teaching assistant etc.)?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

There are many different ways to interpret what SOPHAS wants. If you are really concerned about it, email the program directors of the schools you're applying to. Here's my answers to your questions though:

1) There will be a lot of overlap. I think the CV/Resume is a place to elaborate briefly on some of the experiences you list as well as list other things that wouldn't be an "experience" (awards, publications, etc.) You should know that once you submit your applications, it's possible to add experiences, but it's not possible to edit or re-upload a Resume/CV.
2) No more than 2 pages. Mine was 2 pages, and I took the "big picture" route by including everything I did in college and after (work, volunteer, awards, etc.). The other popular approach is to be selective about what you include and only choose things more directly related to public health-- but that only works if you have some experience in the field, which a lot of applicants don't. The latter approach might be more likely to result in a 1 page document. This is a generalization, but I'd say that if you're applying straight out of undergrad, 1 page is probably best no matter which approach you take. Get creative with font sizes, layout, and margins if you have to.
3) Did you get paid for those things or not? If so, they are work experience; if not, volunteer. Or, you could choose to leave them out of Experiences but include them in your CV/Resume.

Reactions: 1 user
There are many different ways to interpret what SOPHAS wants. If you are really concerned about it, email the program directors of the schools you're applying to. Here's my answers to your questions though:

1) There will be a lot of overlap. I think the CV/Resume is a place to elaborate briefly on some of the experiences you list as well as list other things that wouldn't be an "experience" (awards, publications, etc.) You should know that once you submit your applications, it's possible to add experiences, but it's not possible to edit or re-upload a Resume/CV.
2) No more than 2 pages. Mine was 2 pages, and I took the "big picture" route by including everything I did in college and after (work, volunteer, awards, etc.). The other popular approach is to be selective about what you include and only choose things more directly related to public health-- but that only works if you have some experience in the field, which a lot of applicants don't. The latter approach might be more likely to result in a 1 page document. This is a generalization, but I'd say that if you're applying straight out of undergrad, 1 page is probably best no matter which approach you take. Get creative with font sizes, layout, and margins if you have to.
3) Did you get paid for those things or not? If so, they are work experience; if not, volunteer. Or, you could choose to leave them out of Experiences but include them in your CV/Resume.

Late, but thank you! :) Would you recommend maybe focusing more on public health related activities under "experience" and then doing general college stuff and everything else on the resume?

Also, do you think admission committees focus on one more than the other?

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, that sounds like a logical way of doing it. From your post in the WAMC thread, it seems like you've got plenty of public health experience.

I have no idea what admissions committees prioritize or if it's similar across schools. What I imagine happening-- and this could be *totally wrong*-- is that they see the experience section first on the SOPHAS report and then get to the resume (and other uploaded documents like rec letters, personal statement, etc.) at the end. So, front loading your public health activities into the experience section (and leaving the other stuff for the resume) might be a good way to quickly emphasize that you are a candidate with a lot of related experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, that sounds like a logical way of doing it. From your post in the WAMC thread, it seems like you've got plenty of public health experience.

I have no idea what admissions committees prioritize or if it's similar across schools. What I imagine happening-- and this could be *totally wrong*-- is that they see the experience section first on the SOPHAS report and then get to the resume (and other uploaded documents like rec letters, personal statement, etc.) at the end. So, front loading your public health activities into the experience section (and leaving the other stuff for the resume) might be a good way to quickly emphasize that you are a candidate with a lot of related experience.

Alright, awesome! Thank you again and good luck with your graduate school! :D

I came on here to ask the same/similar question. Ön the experiences page, SOPHAS says, "Please refer to the Checklist on the program materials section of the application to determine if this section is required for your program application.
Ï couldn't find the checklist that they are referring to though. Perhaps this is laziness, but I don't really care to fill out this section if its not going to be referenced. It just seems like so many online job applications where you upload a resume and then have to enter it all in again line by line...