Soecialization in UK/Ireland for non-EU citizen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faycelina

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody :)
I'm looking for some information for my fiancé (who is at work now and we're gaining info together :)).

Well, he's a general practitioner in Tunisia. He graduated from a University in Tunis, Medical Faculty. He speaks fluent English, both general and medical.

He's interested in doing his specialization in UK or Ireland (he prefers UK, I'd love to move to Ireland ;)). We can't find answers for some questions. So can you please help us?
1. Does he need to have any exam that confirms his proficiency in English? Or it's enough that somebody from a hospital (responsible for employing him) talks with him in English and states that his level is OK?
2. Can he do his specialization in a private clinic? Will it be recogonizable and validated in other countries? In our countries only public university hospitals are able to have specialization "courses" that's why we're asking.
3. Will he be paid during his residency? If yes, how much is it? Enough for monthly bills and rent?
4. Does he need to sit any medical exam enabling him practising medicine in these countries?

Thanks for your cooperation and help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody :)
I'm looking for some information for my fiancé (who is at work now and we're gaining info together :)).

Well, he's a general practitioner in Tunisia. He graduated from a University in Tunis, Medical Faculty. He speaks fluent English, both general and medical.

He's interested in doing his specialization in UK or Ireland (he prefers UK, I'd love to move to Ireland ;)). We can't find answers for some questions. So can you please help us?
1. Does he need to have any exam that confirms his proficiency in English? Or it's enough that somebody from a hospital (responsible for employing him) talks with him in English and states that his level is OK?
2. Can he do his specialization in a private clinic? Will it be recogonizable and validated in other countries? In our countries only public university hospitals are able to have specialization "courses" that's why we're asking.
3. Will he be paid during his residency? If yes, how much is it? Enough for monthly bills and rent?
4. Does he need to sit any medical exam enabling him practising medicine in these countries?

Thanks for your cooperation and help :)

I can answer the first question. He needs to do the IELTS, most require it.

Last edited: