SOCM or 18D guys applying or already applied?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sfpa07

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any SOCM or 18D’s applying or have already applied? How did your school look at your prior experience? How much did it help you gain entry into higher ranking schools? What was your Gpas, and MCAT? What schools are you going to?

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any SOCM or 18D’s applying or have already applied? How did your school look at your prior experience? How much did it help you gain entry into higher ranking schools? What was your Gpas, and MCAT? What schools are you going to?

Not a vet, but schools look upon your service very, very highly.

We have some 18D guys. Most civilian schools look at all service as being a bonus, but having medic experience on top of that is a double bonus. The guys I know who got in had pretty average stats in undergrad but rocked a 3.9-4.0 in a postbacc and had respectable MCATs, so it's hard to say how much it makes up for. That said, I have been told on here by adcoms to add ~5 points to my LizzyM score, so I'd say it helps a bit.

Oh, and I've read a few of their personal statements. They were all almost 100% about their experiences on deployment.