SOAP chances for a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smiths11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-DO student, poor scores
-Failed to match in EM
-Applied to FM as a backup but ended up not ranking it since my plan was to do prelim year in case I don't get EM
-I realize this was a stupid decision and am now SOAPing for:

1) FM, 2) IM, 3) prelim Surgery, 4) prelim IM

I have a combination of FM LORs and EM SLOEs. Obviously I feel scared and devastated and at this point would rather just take FM and not worry about this next year.

What are my chances as a DO with poor scores?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd look at former AOA programs that are now acgme , go the family route if you your scores are barely passing . Did you try matching AOA this year ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Didn't try AOA because I didn't have EM AOA rotations.

Of course all of this looks idiotic of me in hindsight, and I recognize that.

I have a FM oriented personal statement. It focuses on my interest in primary (outpatient) and preventive care. In what ways can I tweak that to cater to my IM applications? Should I even tweak it at all?

Theres alot of Internist that act as part time hospitalist and part time outpatient docs. Personally i wouldn't half ass two things. Id put all my chips on one thing vs the other. but maybe @gamerEMdoc can give much better knowledge than i can

I already sent in the 45 applications.

So are you saying I keep my FM oriented letter and give it to IM. Or maybe just change it to say "I want to be an internist because I love primary and preventive care, outpatient work, etc etc."

Instead of saying family physician

what im say is you pick IM or FM, and put all your power towards soaping into that. Dont try to cast a wide net with a vague Personal statement. I say stick to FM if thats what you want and your letter is geared towards it

Theres alot of Internist that act as part time hospitalist and part time outpatient docs. Personally i wouldn't half ass two things. Id put all my chips on one thing vs the other. but maybe @gamerEMdoc can give much better knowledge than i can

I can't say I know exactly what IM likes in their personal statements, but you can also play up the road to critical care fellowship out of IM as an interest if you are addressing not matching in EM in the statement.

Reactions: 2 users
I can't say I know exactly what IM likes in their personal statements, but you can also play up the road to critical care fellowship out of IM as an interest if you are addressing not matching in EM in the statement.
Thanks for your input, Its always good having input from the other side of the aisle

IM can be primary care, and its what I emphasized on my personal statements and during interviews and matched this year. There's actually a push for IM docs to do primary care. (But I dual applied so maybe i got an FM residency.)