so, say i get in....finish in 40 months....then?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wvupremed2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in applying for January 2009 entry. I will finish my B.S. in Biology in December, and I'm looking into the "jumpstart" that's possible by starting in January. I've been reading that it's technically possible to finish in 40 months, but the clinical rotations have to be scheduled back-to-back and students are having difficulty with this?

If there were no issues and someone enters in the january 2009 term, they should technically be able to finish in May 2012, right? so on the timeline for getting into a residency, where does this put them? and if the rotations don't work out to allow such a quick finish and they're pushed into the summer or fall before finishing rotations, then where do they stand for residencies? do they all begin at the same time of the year and you just "miss the boat" and have to wait until the next round? if this is the case, is there any advantage of beginning in january over the other semesters?

My whole thought process originally was "hey, i can graduate undergrad and go into med school in january and finish an entire calendar year ahead of the time i'd graduate med school if i do the US application cycle." but if rotations push over longer than expected, will i be forced to wait and apply for residency at the same time i would have if i would've waited for August entry to begin with?

i'm hoping there are residency spots for the early graduates (or late, depending on residency cycle), but i'm honestly clueless about how the entire residency timeline works. can someone please explain how this works?

Members don't see this ad.

That might not fly buddy.... Many if not all state medical licensing boards REQUIRE that you gain your medical degree within 4 years, nothing less... SO a "fast" track M.D. degree... won't cut it... and if you do decide to go along with it... you might find yourself STUCK in someplace illegally practicing medicine because no state will allow to legally practice.....:laugh:... Make a wise choice....

Don't post if you have no idea what you're talking about.

There is no such requirement.

Med schools are only required to complete a certain set of basic science requirements and clinical requirements.

If a school has 3 semesters per year instead of 2, then they will finish earlier. They just don't get the summer off. No difference in what is taught.

That might not fly buddy.... Many if not all state medical licensing boards REQUIRE that you gain your medical degree within 4 years, nothing less... SO a "fast" track M.D. degree... won't cut it... and if you do decide to go along with it... you might find yourself STUCK in someplace illegally practicing medicine because no state will allow to legally practice.....:laugh:... Make a wise choice....

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't post if you have no idea what you're talking about.

There is no such requirement.

Med schools are only required to complete a certain set of basic science requirements and clinical requirements.

If a school has 3 semesters per year instead of 2, then they will finish earlier. They just don't get the summer off. No difference in what is taught.

I might have mis-worded this however I meant that the medical school should have a FOUR year based curriculum... Do you honestly think that a medical student who's obtained his MD in less than 3 years is capable of becoming a "competent" physician? Let alone receive licensure?

Condensing the current 4-year curriculum to a 3 year curriculum would be suicide! As I've seen with my own eyes medical schools that advertise they can get you an MD in 3 years and their curriculum lacks much of the needed courses...

A schools CURRICULUM should consist of FOUR years of Medical Education.

Let a school who only has a 3-year curriculum apply for California approval...Without a doubt, a school like this should be disapproved....

BTW completing a 4-year curriculum, is different from actually being at a school for 4 years...

Don't know if you understand or see the difference...but....

I'm only stating things I've seen... But then again thats only what I'VE seen... Maybe others have seen different....

It would have been better if you had admitted that you are wrong and that you do not know how medical school works. Instead, you dig a bigger hole and make yourself look even worse.

Try to re-read my post. You get the same education, but you do not take the summer off, hence 3 semesters instead of 2.

People who do not admit mistakes do not go very far in life.

I might have mis-worded this however I meant that the medical school should have a FOUR year based curriculum... Do you honestly think that a medical student who's obtained his MD in less than 3 years is capable of becoming a "competent" physician? Let alone receive licensure?

Condensing the current 4-year curriculum to a 3 year curriculum would be suicide! As I've seen with my own eyes medical schools that advertise they can get you an MD in 3 years and their curriculum lacks much of the needed courses...

Let a school who only has a 3-year curriculum apply for California approval...Without a doubt, a school like this should be disapproved....

BTW completing a 4-year curriculum, is different from actually being at a school for 4 years...

I'm only stating things I've seen... But then again thats only what I'VE seen... Maybe others have seen different....

its not suicide as you say because the only difference is that some schools maintain a regular schedule during the summer as previously mentioned....also some people may never become competent physicians no matter how many years they are trained....the best physicians are highly skilled but they also have something called common sense

It would have been better if you had admitted that you are wrong and that you do not know how medical school works. Instead, you dig a bigger hole and make yourself look even worse.

Try to re-read my post. You get the same education, but you do not take the summer off, hence 3 semesters instead of 2.

People who do not admit mistakes do not go very far in life.

Ahhhh.. Once again I am misunderstood... I've been researching medical school for a couple years now.. And that is ONE thing that I myself can vouch for knowing.... I've done extensive research on medical schools, the system, and how things "work".. So please don't insult me by telling me that I have NO idea on how things work....

I'm misunderstood because I NEVER said that a school that offers medical degrees in 3 years will be a detrimental factor in you gaining licensure... I said or MEANT that their curriculum should mirror (in reference to courses taken) that of a *standard 4-year medical institution... I apologize if I worded things wrong... The reason I even said this, was because I've seen schools (Caribbean) that advertise their 3-year program and when you go to look at their curriculum its ALL bogus... They have courses that are missing in which are NEEDED to take the boards within your full capacity.

And I was NOT referring to ANY school in the US....

I WILL admit that I WAS WRONG in the way that I wanted to convey my point... But my original belief still stands... If you can even understand it...

I don't even know why I answered the OP in the first place... Because 40 months of medical schooling isn't faulty....

But whatever.. I don't want to "dig" myself any deeper as McGill grad said...:laugh:

BTW I'll admit my mistakes any time any day... I've made quit a few in "life", and have learned to acknowledge them.... So your preaching to the choir....Lol!

ECMFG requires 32 week years x 4, so you can finish in 128 weeks so that is
divided 4 weeks in a month is 32 months also, divided by 12 months a year is tech 2.66 years but no medical school does this and there is lag time during clinicals so most will not finish untill 3.5 to 4.5 years is over.

My school for example is 4 16 week basic sci semesters then 96 clinical weeks to equal

64 plus 96 = 160 wks more then 4 years of work

This coming from you who actually wanted to apply without finishing your Bachelor's degree. :rolleyes:
The kid was just trying to ask a simple question, get of his case.

UM. NO. I was recently accepted to LECOM at their Lake Erie campus and was offered a seat into their 3 year primary care program. (Its an intensive course and offers little to no time off between semesters, it practically evades any clinical rotations in specialties that are surgical based or non-related to primary care). I think they (LECOM) are even considering applying this to their GA campus.

You clearly dont know what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

PPS. And yea, im choosing the carib MD route over the US DO route. :)

I'm misunderstood because I NEVER said that a school that offers medical degrees in 3 years will be a detrimental factor in you gaining licensure... I said or MEANT that their curriculum should mirror (in reference to courses taken) that of a *standard 4-year medical institution... I apologize if I worded things wrong... The reason I even said this, was because I've seen schools (Caribbean) that advertise their 3-year program and when you go to look at their curriculum its ALL bogus... They have courses that are missing in which are NEEDED to take the boards within your full capacity.

No they are not bogus, if you have not attended and gone through the courses you have no idea what is taught, also years are not accurate where weeks are.

Many Caribbean schools have a standard 3 semester year, no long breaks, most breaks I had during the year were 10 days including the weekends and during Christmas was 3 weeks including the weekends, so no you really do not know the facts here, if 16 weeks was too short then the USA would not allow Licensure, but 16 weeks is long enough for 1 semester and hence 32 weeks is an academic year.

I keep posting that Caribbean is not easier but tougher now you see it is.
This is why Caribbean students study for the step one longer then US students we have had 1/2 year less time in some cases, in other cases the schools have a "5th" semester, an additional 16 week semester but in some cases this is a Joke semester and the time spent in it is better spent studying for the boards.:smuggrin:

Whatever... I WAS WRONG.....! SIMPLE....
*Please disregard everything that I've said...for misinformation purposes... SO GET ON WITH YOUR LIVES...:cool:

Whatever... I WAS WRONG.....! SIMPLE....
*Please disregard everything that I've said...for misinformation purposes... SO GET ON WITH YOUR LIVES...:cool:
Hey its fine, I think you have brought up good points and a good debate, I have been researching this crap for over 4 years now. I made sure I was not going into debt without practicing.

I think the Dominican Schools are safer and less Risk then most of he Caribbean schools save the Big 4. :thumbup:

This coming from you who actually wanted to apply without finishing your Bachelor's degree. :rolleyes:
The kid was just trying to ask a simple question, get of his case.

I had to come back and reply to this.. In a way so that I can clear it up...

When I asked the question about applying to the DR med schools without a bachelors it was because I knew that even if I received my bachelors I most likely would have to repeat at least a couple pre-med classes, its common over there... I knew enough about some of the other Carib schools and the process in which needs to be taken in order to gain licensure... But I was CLUELESS about the Dominican Medical Schools... Well after a while of researching these schools and calling them EVERY SINGLE day, visiting their web site, sending hundreds of emails, speaking to several physicians from the DR, current/past medical students, as well as the schools administrations, I think I have all of the information I need. As a matter of fact I think they literally hate me at all the medical schools in DR because I call so much...Lol

However I DO liberally admit that in this thread I was dead wrong and couldn't convey part of what I meant correctly, and I'm at falter for this misinformation... I could erase what I've written, but it's a good example of how misinformation can be fed and be allowed on SDN if no one stops it before hand.. Thats how rumors and stupid lies start...

Anyways to counter your remark, I decided that I'm going to apply without a B.S. and finish a couple undeserved credits over there, if I wanted to I could get my B.S. here within a year but that would be literally killing myself by taking 7 classes including labs (I'm currently at 6), I wish I could but I work over 60-65 hrs a week so thats a little out of my reach for now. However by the time I matriculate in 2008 I will have ALL of my pre-reqs done...

You may ask: Why don't I just wait and matriculate in 2009; And I'll respond: Its not that I'm inpatient, I'm just focused on my goals... And I'm a strong believer (from past experience) that the sooner I can start working towards my ultimate goals the harder it'll be to get deviated and distracted... Of course with the acknowledgment that I know what I'm getting myself into...;)

So realistically speaking I have no idea why you chose to wrongfully depict this within this thread... Thus, the reason I'm even waisting my breath and responding to you is just to show how irrelevant that remark was... What does applying with a B.S. and not applying with one have anything to do with this subject? But just whatever....:D

BTW.. I appreciate the insight you gave me when I asked the DR med school question about a month ago....:)

No problem man. I just thought it was rude the way you responded to the original poster, considering he/she was asking a legitimate question. Good luck in your choice and keep on studying. No hard feelings right?:thumbup:

No problem man. I just thought it was rude the way you responded to the original poster, considering he/she was asking a legitimate question. Good luck in your choice and keep on studying. No hard feelings right?:thumbup:

Definitely... Now that I re-read it, I can see that I was in fact rude, and should have not responded like that or shouldn't have responded period... Thank You! Nope! No hard feelings... If its one thing that I've learned on SDN and it's not to take things too too literal and take them to the heart...:laugh:...Lol...:thumbup: