So frustrated with section bank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coltuna

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Second post on the section bank this week. I've consistently scored 126-127 in Psych/Soc on every single full length exam I've taken until now. I did the first 18 questions of the section bank and got 5/18 correct. Really looking for some words of encouragement from people who've done poor on the section bank and well on the actual test...

I literally feel like AAMC perused through every available term and picked the ones absolutely no one would focus on.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From my understanding the section banks are much harder than the actual exam?

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah the section bank is full of tricky questions. However, understanding their tricks will be helpful for exam day.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually ended up with 67% on the Psych/Soc, and I guess that's a pretty okay score.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're in good shape for the exam if you can hit 70-80% on the Section Bank questions.

Hey just as a reference. My friend who got the bulk of his studying done spent the last week working on section bank material and averaged low 70s on all 3 section banks. He got a 520 on the actual test which was in par with his practice tests (so it wasn't like he did particularly well that day). The section bank material should be more of material where you should be dissecting exactly what kind of questions the MCAT may throw at you and how to solve them. They are supposedly (because I didn't take the MCAT myself yet) a representative of the HARDEST passages you will encounter. And if you notice that on all these conversion charts and whatnot, the general theme seems to be that people score BETTER on the actual MCAT than on the scores they get on most representative practice tests (minus the AAMC FL2).

The section bank is a jungle. Be prepared for the most insane questions, thinking, and an endless number of charts, figures, diagrams, and mechanisms to be presented to you.

Relax. Take a deep breath.

For the section bank, don't focus on how many you got right/wrong, or your overall percentage. Yes, there are pseudo-conversions on SDN and reddit that will say "if you get ___% on the Phys/Chem Section Bank you're going to get a 129 on the real test" that's all just correlation and guess work.

For the section bank, do the passages untimed. Its not uncommon to spend 20 to 30 minutes on a passage this way. Now, focus thoroughly on the passage and the questions. Read the passage word for word - you have no idea how many salient details are hidden away in there, and learning how to read looking for these clues is absolutely pertinent for the real MCAT. Once you master this and take your time solving the questions, you'll feel better because you've learned a lot, and you'll start to get more questions correct.

Also, while the section bank is generally harder than the real MCAT, expect anywhere between 2 to 5 section bank level difficulty passages on the actual MCAT phys/chem and bio/biochem sections.

Reactions: 4 users
The section bank is a jungle. Be prepared for the most insane questions, thinking, and an endless number of charts, figures, diagrams, and mechanisms to be presented to you.

Relax. Take a deep breath.

For the section bank, don't focus on how many you got right/wrong, or your overall percentage. Yes, there are pseudo-conversions on SDN and reddit that will say "if you get ___% on the Phys/Chem Section Bank you're going to get a 129 on the real test" that's all just correlation and guess work.

For the section bank, do the passages untimed. Its not uncommon to spend 20 to 30 minutes on a passage this way. Now, focus thoroughly on the passage and the questions. Read the passage word for word - you have no idea how many salient details are hidden away in there, and learning how to read looking for these clues is absolutely pertinent for the real MCAT. Once you master this and take your time solving the questions, you'll feel better because you've learned a lot, and you'll start to get more questions correct.

Also, while the section bank is generally harder than the real MCAT, expect anywhere between 2 to 5 section bank level difficulty passages on the actual MCAT phys/chem and bio/biochem sections.
Thank you for this!

I was thinking of using this strategy originally, but I'm so close to my test now that I don't want to mess up my timing. If chem/phys is my weakest section and I test in 7 days, would you recommend working through Q bank (haven't done these yet) or Section bank one more time before my test? I just did the Chem/Phys section bank over 3 days this past week.

Thank you for this!

I was thinking of using this strategy originally, but I'm so close to my test now that I don't want to mess up my timing. If chem/phys is my weakest section and I test in 7 days, would you recommend working through Q bank (haven't done these yet) or Section bank one more time before my test? I just did the Chem/Phys section bank over 3 days this past week.
If your test is in 7 days and you haven't finished the section bank, you may not want to hear this, but I'd suggest taking the test and voiding. Yes, that means a gap year. But, a low score will follow you forever and stigmatize you far worse than a gap year.

I'd suggest you stick to section bank.

Are you considering delaying or you're gungho about next week's exam? In general, you want to have completed AAMC Sample Test, AAMC Scored FL 1, AAMC Scored FL 2, and the entire section bank (all 300 questions) approximately 2 to 3 times. No student can learn everything she/he needs to with one pass through the section back or AAMC exams, etc., which is why I suggest you don't score it.

If your test is in 7 days and you haven't finished the section bank, you may not want to hear this, but I'd suggest taking the test and voiding. Yes, that means a gap year. But, a low score will follow you forever and stigmatize you far worse than a gap year.

I'd suggest you stick to section bank.

Are you considering delaying or you're gungho about next week's exam? In general, you want to have completed AAMC Sample Test, AAMC Scored FL 1, AAMC Scored FL 2, and the entire section bank (all 300 questions) approximately 2 to 3 times. No student can learn everything she/he needs to with one pass through the section back or AAMC exams, etc., which is why I suggest you don't score it.
Oh I'm finishing the Section bank today (Have like 30 more bio/biochem questions then I will have done all 300). Doing FL2 on Monday. My GPA is >3.7, and I'm applying strictly DO, so I'm pretty gungho about taking the exam haha. I scored 504 on FL1 one month ago. I appreciate the advice! Bolded above was my plan originally, but life happened so I've been scrambling a bit.

Oh I'm finishing the Section bank today (Have like 30 more bio/biochem questions then I will have done all 300). Doing FL2 on Monday. My GPA is >3.7, and I'm applying strictly DO so I'm pretty gungho about taking the exam haha. I scored 504 on FL1 one month ago. I appreciate the advice! Bolded above was my plan originally, but life happened so I've been scrambling a bit.
Ah ok. With a 3.7+ you're in good consideration for DO schools. Yes, finish the section bank today and review ALL 300 questions as much as you can. If you can review approximately 4 to 6 passages per section per day, you'll be in good standing. Life happens to all of us, I feel you mate. a 504 on FL 1 is good. Make sure you review it thoroughly and all anything else you're weak on before taking AAMC FL 2 on Monday and you'll be golden. For DO schools, my general advice is 505-510 to be a very strong candidate. Yes 500-504 students get in, but aim for higher and be a top tier candidate is my philosophy :).

Additionally, I've completed the section bank many MANY times, if you have any questions, inbox me, its more than fine, I'm happy to elaborate as much as you want.

Ah ok. With a 3.7+ you're in good consideration for DO schools. Yes, finish the section bank today and review ALL 300 questions as much as you can. If you can review approximately 4 to 6 passages per section per day, you'll be in good standing. Life happens to all of us, I feel you mate. a 504 on FL 1 is good. Make sure you review it thoroughly and all anything else you're weak on before taking AAMC FL 2 on Monday and you'll be golden. For DO schools, my general advice is 505-510 to be a very strong candidate. Yes 500-504 students get in, but aim for higher and be a top tier candidate is my philosophy :).

Additionally, I've completed the section bank many MANY times, if you have any questions, inbox me, its more than fine, I'm happy to elaborate as much as you want.
I appreciate it! I should've been more explicit; I'm reviewing Section Bank as I do the passages afterwards, so I have 30 more to complete and review! Yeah my score breakdown surprised me a lot on FL1 (124/128/126/126) as 125 was my lowest on any chem/phys section and 125 was my highest on any CARS section for FL's up until then (Altius and NextStep). I really think those 2 sections fed on my weaknesses and strengths respectively. I took CARS on FL2 a week later because I was SO convinced my CARS on FL1 was a fluke and received a 126, so I think I'm in good position there. If I don't get 127+ in Psych/Soc on test day, I will consider that section a failure for me as I've memorized the 100 page Khan document and done every Khan academy passage. Just need Chem/Phys to come through for me and perform my average (126) on Bio/Biochem to be happy with my score!

I appreciate it! I should've been more explicit; I'm reviewing Section Bank as I do the passages afterwards, so I have 30 more to complete and review! Yeah my score breakdown surprised me a lot on FL1 (124/128/126/126) as 125 was my lowest on any chem/phys section and 125 was my highest on any CARS section for FL's up until then (Altius and NextStep). I really think those 2 sections fed on my weaknesses and strengths respectively. I took CARS on FL2 a week later because I was SO convinced my CARS on FL1 was a fluke and received a 126, so I think I'm in good position there. If I don't get 127+ in Psych/Soc on test day, I will consider that section a failure for me as I've memorized the 100 page Khan document and done every Khan academy passage. Just need Chem/Phys to come through for me and perform my average (126) on Bio/Biochem to be happy with my score!
You got this. You're a smart test taker, you know your strengths and weaknesses. If possible, do AAMC FL 2 sooner rather than later. You've already seen and liked my June MCAT commentary, but be warned, AAMC FL 2 Psy/Soc is very different than what you're used to seeing. It make come as a shocker, and my MCAT was exactly the same style as AAMC FL 2. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You got this. You're a smart test taker, you know your strengths and weaknesses. If possible, do AAMC FL 2 sooner rather than later. You've already seen and liked my June MCAT commentary, but be warned, AAMC FL 2 Psy/Soc is very different than what you're used to seeing. It make come as a shocker, and my MCAT was exactly the same style as AAMC FL 2. Good luck!
Thanks again!

Has anyone seen as much metabolism pathway stuff in the real exam as much as the section bank? That's my weakest section and on the test bank there were a lot of those but on my practice exams I've usually only run into 1 or 2 of them. Wondering if it's worth the time focusing on metabolism or if I should continue my focus in other areas since no matter how many times I review metabolism I can't seem to keep it all in my head. Section bank just worried me now because if that much shows up on the real thing my B/B section would take a hit.

Has anyone seen as much metabolism pathway stuff in the real exam as much as the section bank? That's my weakest section and on the test bank there were a lot of those but on my practice exams I've usually only run into 1 or 2 of them. Wondering if it's worth the time focusing on metabolism or if I should continue my focus in other areas since no matter how many times I review metabolism I can't seem to keep it all in my head. Section bank just worried me now because if that much shows up on the real thing my B/B section would take a hit.

I tested June 30 and honestly I don't remember any metabolism being on there.. I didn't do as well as I wanted on the Section Banks too cause they really present you with a lot of the possible content areas.

It is risky though man, if you can think of some mnemonics or something I'd recommend it. You'd have to have a whole passage about Krebs or something that kills your B/B. But again I don't recall anything major, just some questions about like what would happen if the electron transport chain got disrupted, etc.

I don't recall any specific metabolism passages either, but I agree with above poster.

I tested June 30 and honestly I don't remember any metabolism being on there.. I didn't do as well as I wanted on the Section Banks too cause they really present you with a lot of the possible content areas.
It is risky though man, if you can think of some mnemonics or something I'd recommend it. You'd have to have a whole passage about Krebs or something that kills your B/B. But again I don't recall anything major, just some questions about like what would happen if the electron transport chain got disrupted, etc.

I don't recall any specific metabolism passages either, but I agree with above poster.

I'm fine with the main overview of each and what they do. But when I get questions about random enzymes especially ones that aren't super important like the limiting steps and all that they just all get jumbled in my head and I can't keep them straight. Other than that my biochem is pretty strong so I guess I'll squeeze in some time to work on it a bit. Really don't wanna leave my exam score up to luck XD.

On practice exams so far I've been fine as I've only gotten a simple question or two but I've been hearing AAMC likes to randomly make our lives more difficult so I won't risk it.

I'm fine with the main overview of each and what they do. But when I get questions about random enzymes especially ones that aren't super important like the limiting steps and all that they just all get jumbled in my head and I can't keep them straight. Other than that my biochem is pretty strong so I guess I'll squeeze in some time to work on it a bit. Really don't wanna leave my exam score up to luck XD.

On practice exams so far I've been fine as I've only gotten a simple question or two but I've been hearing AAMC likes to randomly make our lives more difficult so I won't risk it.

The limiting steps tend to be MORE important.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Woops that came out wrong, meant it as not as important as the limiting steps lol

I wouldn't be too worried.. I limited myself to know all the inputs and outputs of glycolysis, Krebs, and the ETC. I also memorized the major steps of Krebs, and I knew the 4 complexes of the ETC and had an idea of the enzymes involved.. theres an acronym around here for Krebs people like. I wouldn't force yourself to know all these specific enzymes.

hey, i had a question about the p/s sb question 2. i thought the auditory cortex was in both regions of the brain. so if intrusion were to occur, wouldn't the right unattended ear have to travel to the left hemisphere in order to be interpreted by the language hemisphere? I'm so confused. thank you

hey, i had a question about the p/s sb question 2. i thought the auditory cortex was in both regions of the brain. so if intrusion were to occur, wouldn't the right unattended ear have to travel to the left hemisphere in order to be interpreted by the language hemisphere? I'm so confused. thank you
You should start your own thread in the MCAT Discussion forum.

Just my two cents, don't take your performance on the section banks too hard. Just look at every question you get wrong as an opportunity to better understand the material...and the AAMC. Don't get discouraged! I had a hard time with section banks too, but ended up doing very well on the test. I think as long as you dissect what went wrong with each question you miss, you're on the right path ;)

I just finished the first 6 passages on B/B section bank and am doing better on these than the Bio Qbank. They are all research design questions. I have a 40/45 so far for this section. Is that what the MCAT will be like?!?! I haven't taken a practice test yet, so if this is what it's like, HOLY F*CK AM I EXCITED! That said, I have not even started studying for C/P or P/S and am super nervous, as my test is like 25 days away :sorry:

I just finished the first 6 passages on B/B section bank and am doing better on these than the Bio Qbank. They are all research design questions. I have a 40/45 so far for this section. Is that what the MCAT will be like?!?! I haven't taken a practice test yet, so if this is what it's like, HOLY F*CK AM I EXCITED! That said, I have not even started studying for C/P or P/S and am super nervous, as my test is like 25 days away :sorry:
Yeah my test was MUCH more section bank-like than question bank-like; Most of the feedback I read from the 2017 tests would agree but idk about 2018 tests. Also, FWIW I'm OP and ended up scoring a 129 in psych/soc on test day lol. It's crazy looking back on posts like these and remembering what a roller coaster ride this process has been.

Yeah my test was MUCH more section bank-like than question bank-like; Most of the feedback I read from the 2017 tests would agree but idk about 2018 tests. Also, FWIW I'm OP and ended up scoring a 129 in psych/soc on test day lol. It's crazy looking back on posts like these and remembering what a roller coaster ride this process has been.
I am taking the MCAT on June 16, I'm trying to divide up my AAMC Bundle in the most effective way. Can I please PM you?

I am taking the MCAT on June 16, I'm trying to divide up my AAMC Bundle in the most effective way. Can I please PM you?
Absolutely. It's been a year since I took my MCAT, so I'm a little rusty but I'll certainly try to offer some guidance!