SNS powder nails in the OR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegreatjaspy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Artificial nails are not allowed but what about gel or SNS powder nails? It is hard to find up to date information since it seems that the popular nail treatment is always changing. Sns powder does not involve adding an artificial nail tip, does that mean it's ok?

Members don't see this ad.

lol or just forget it
You mean don't worry about it? I'm such a rule follower and worry about getting in trouble or worse than that actually getting a patient sick. Just trying to do my due diligence.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Generally speaking, neither nail polish nor artificial nails are allowed in the OR if you are scrubbing into cases.

Reactions: 1 users
When I read this and saw that @OrthoTraumaMD was the last commenter and then saw that not much information was on UpToDate about this, I thought this was an Ortho thing I'd never heard of.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on the hospital. If it doesn't chip, nail polish is allowed, except artificial nails.
Agreed. No artificial tips, no chipped polish is my rule.

I am loving OPI's gel in "Keep It In Neutral" these days for a sheer neutral that doesn't catch the eye of the more militant OR nurses but still makes my hands look well-groomed.

Reactions: 2 users
Every hospital has a policy for scrubbing in. Some places allow normal or gel nail polish which isn't chipped. Some allow nothing.

Reactions: 2 users