SMP Georgetown for class of 2017-2018 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have any insight on what would be considered a "late" (if it's not already late) application for this program?

As I am currently waitlisted with no acceptances, I have recently become more open to the idea of a post-bac.

I'm pretty sure its already late, the deadline for submitting without scores is in Early May. I haven't submitted yet but will soon

Members don't see this ad.

yeah they accept AMCAS app

Last edited:
GT's website says you can upload a copy of your most recent AMCAS/AACOMAS application. Does it have to be verified? Say for example if I fill one out once it opens in May (which of course it won't be submitted until June). Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure it does have to be verified and it's mainly used for applicants who had previously applied to medical school but did not get in (i.e. you cant use the one that opens up this may). They accepted my verified AMCAS application.

I'm pretty sure it does have to be verified and it's mainly used for applicants who had previously applied to medical school but did not get in (i.e. you cant use the one that opens up this may). They accepted my verified AMCAS application.
Yeah I was coming back to say I found the answer to my question. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
is the class full? or still reasonable chance of getting accepted if i send an app this week?

is the class full? or still reasonable chance of getting accepted if i send an app this week?

I submitted my application last week (4/12) but wasn't complete until yesterday (4/17) because I was waiting on a letter of rec. I'll let you know how it goes, but when I sent them an e-mail about applying back in early April, they said "Thank you for your email. We will continue to accept and evaluate applications for the SMP Class of 2018 that are submitted before May 15."

Can't hurt to submit :)

So I was recently accepted and am currently deciding between the GTDT campus program (due to the integrated clinical volunteer experiences) and the BU MAMS program (many opportunities to shadow and volunteer within the Boston area, but they specifically recommend that you do nothing except study the first semester).

Does anyone have any experiences with the GTDT program and if they had any problems with the (mostly) online lectures?

edit: am an idiot, this was already talked about and I will PM jamieneutron about this :p

So as a followup to totafan's question, does anyone have any insight regarding time-management for the GTDT curriculum? I was under the impression that for the program at the main campus, you basically have no time to volunteer/shadow. So how do the GTDT students usually fit it into their schedule? Do they just have less time to study than the main campus students? Or are the GTDT classes shorter, or something?

hey everyone,

a late applicant here. This basically applies for all my apps but georgetown is my first choice so just gonna ask the question here; how bad are late recommendation letters? I currently have 2 on hold as they are being written. As they count as supporting/supplementary material, they can be submitted after the may 15th deadline, but do they read your application or make a decision on it before reading your rec lettesr? thanks for any input

Wait listed. Visited multiple schools and at this point I can say gtown would be my #1.

I've already been accepted to an in-state program that starts this summer though, so I can't really wait until July to see if I'll get in. I don't want to risk an acceptance I already have on a maybe either, as the program actually has a reputation in my state. Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks in advance

Update - Accepted!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted last night!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! mind sharing your stats?

Thank you!! So excited!!
3.49 cGPA/3.28 sGPA/509 MCAT
Undergrad: 3 years of extensive Neuropsychology research with decent amount of health related/non-health related volunteer experiences
Gap year: 1 year of full-time ED scribing and part-time personal tutoring

Best of luck to everybody still waiting!

Hello
Awesome! Congrats!!

I guess this is a question for everyone that got in. Now that you've been accepted are you going to apply to med schools as well this year to get into the cycle following your smp? Or will you wait so you are able to put the smp on your transcript? do they suggest you said or apply...just confused and if anyone has any insight that would be great!

Thanks

Thank you!! So excited!!
3.49 cGPA/3.28 sGPA/509 MCAT
Undergrad: 3 years of extensive Neuropsychology research with decent amount of health related/non-health related volunteer experiences
Gap year: 1 year of full-time ED scribing and part-time personal tutoring

Best of luck to everybody still waiting!

Hello
Awesome! Congrats!!

I guess this is a question for everyone that got in. Now that you've been accepted are you going to apply to med schools as well this year to get into the cycle following your smp? Or will you wait so you are able to put the smp on your transcript? do they suggest you said or apply...just confused and if anyone has any insight that would be great!

Thanks
They highly encourage the class to apply to M.D./D.O. programs during the year that you are in the program. From their website: "AMCAS APPLICATION: If you are accepted, and are going to attend the SMP, we strongly encourage you to apply to medical school (for August 2018 matriculation), before you come to orientation. The program faculty and staff will be working with you during the application cycle, but you should have your AMCAS application in since you are actively working to improve your application by attending the SMP. Please see our AMCAS page for additional information. There will be very few exceptions, and if you are not applying this year (expired MCAT, not positive you want to go to medical school), please contact us prior to orientation."

I plan on applying to a handful of medical schools this cycle (~8-10) and then applying again next cycle to slightly more (~15) if I don't have any luck this cycle. You definitely would be more competitive with an entire year of classes completed, but med schools will be able to see your grades in 5 medical school classes by Mid-December, so its definitely worth applying this cycle.

I'm in! (I think - odd scenario, but I got the "congrats" email from them today)

I'd like to jump ahead on the housing thing though since when I visited students told me to definitely lock that down earlier. Ideally, I'd like to live fairly close to campus - bikeable - and with maybe 1-2 other roommates.

By chance is anyone interested in apartment hunting together in June?

Hi, I'm not too sure if this is the right place to post this but I'll let you be the judge of that. If you had to choose between Georgetown, Case Western, and Rosalind for SMP, which do you think is the best program to offer greater chance of getting into US medical schools (or other international med schools, though not too desirable)?

Wait listed. Visited multiple schools and at this point I can say gtown would be my #1.

I've already been accepted to an in-state program that starts this summer though, so I can't really wait until July to see if I'll get in. I don't want to risk an acceptance I already have on a maybe either, as the program actually has a reputation in my state. Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks in advance

i just got accepted today from the waitlist. I've been updating with them periodically about my new experiences. Since I'm taking the MCAT on June 17th, they asked for my practice FL scores to help with their admission decision and I did send them 3 of my FL scores with an upward trend. I would recommend you to call them and ask why you were waitlisted/what should you do that may improve your chance of getting in. They told me they want more non-clinical related volunteer (They said Georgetown consider this as very important) so I started a volunteer at local homeless shelter. Do things like that. Be directional. Also tell them you're very determined and dedicated to georgetown. This is your first choice/if admitted you'll go for sure. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

i just got accepted today from the waitlist. I've been updating with them periodically about my new experiences. Since I'm taking the MCAT on June 17th, they asked for my practice FL scores to help with their admission decision and I did send them 3 of my FL scores with an upward trend. I would recommend you to call them and ask why you were waitlisted/what should you do that may improve your chance of getting in. They told me they want more non-clinical related volunteer (They said Georgetown consider this as very important) so I started a volunteer at local homeless shelter. Do things like that. Be directional. Also tell them you're very determined and dedicated to georgetown. This is your first choice/if admitted you'll go for sure. Good luck!

Hey! Sorry, I should've updated my other post- will do it now. I was also just accepted yesterday as well! I'm still waiting on the official acceptance though, so I can safely withdraw from my other program. I didn't realize non-clinical was important as well, so I'm volunteering at a food pantry this summer, along with taking biochem (they asked about this).

See you this fall!

Did you have to submit a GRE or anything else to them besides your FL practice tests? Or did they say your practice tests were sufficient for the admissions? Also if you don't mind can I have the email address of the person you sent the scores to? I was told to contact "Rachel" but I have no email to go about doing that!

Thanks!

Did

I am in the program now. I think if you really want to do the SMP you should apply. They take a very personal approach to reviewing applications and won't simply write you off for not retaking the MCAT yet. I also had an old score and when I applied they contacted me asking if I plan to retake, and I said I was planning to in June (2016). I was waitlisted for the SMP and then when I saw my practice scores weren't up to where I wanted them to be, I let them know I was postponing my MCAT until August (but still before the program would start). I know a lot of people take the MCAT after the program is finished also, and have significantly higher scores since you learn so much bio and biochemistry, and learn how to really study effectively. The program is a lot of work and they probably use the MCAT to see if you are up to studying hard even if your GPA doesn't reflect that for some other reasons, but depending on your applications strengths and how motivated you are, its still worth a shot to apply.
HI JAMIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone! I was recently accepted to the Georgetown SMP and to BU MAMS, trying to decide between the two. If anyone would be able to comment on their experience at Georgetown I would really appreciate it! Also, I was wondering if anyone chooses just to apply to Georgetown during the year due to being evaluated in a separate group of candidates... I applied this past cycle without much luck and am not sure I would want to reapply until next year because I feel my application won't have changed much, but due to the advantage of applying as an SMP student and the fact that I didn't actually apply to Georgetown this past cycle I would consider just applying there! Thanks for any insight

I loved my experience at Georgetown. I would not go into the program thinking you will ace all the tests and get a 3.9, get an interview from GUSOM and all goes swell. It might happen, but don't bank on it. It's a hard year, and although I hear they are changing the curriculum from tests every two weeks to tests about every eight weeks.

I can't comment on BU MAMS. It seems different in that you can take it over two years. Also, while they have a couple of classes that are "med" classes, GU provides (now that the curriculum has changed) eight classes WITH the med students. You compete WITH the med students. For better or worse.

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats for the 3 FL? I am not taking the MCAT until June 17th as well, and have been taking practice exams but was unsure when to send them, as I was also put on the waitlist.

Did you have to submit a GRE or anything else to them besides your FL practice tests? Or did they say your practice tests were sufficient for the admissions? Also if you don't mind can I have the email address of the person you sent the scores to? I was told to contact "Rachel" but I have no email to go about doing that!

Thanks!

Did
Yes I did submit a GRE score. Otherwise they won't even consider the application as completed :(
After I got waitlisted by Georgetown, Amy Richards (I think she is the director of the program) sent an very encouraging email saying it's good to be on the waitlist/you still have chance things like that. And she said since Im taking the MCAT in June, I could send in my practice FL scores to help with admission re-evaluation. I just sent to [email protected]. I think it's always Rachel replying me tho lol. I do think you should email them and ask will any of my practice FL scores be helpful for admission decision. If they said yes, you may send in your FL scores.

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats for the 3 FL? I am not taking the MCAT until June 17th as well, and have been taking practice exams but was unsure when to send them, as I was also put on the waitlist.
As I suggested before, I think you should email them and ask will the practice FL scores be helpful for their admission decision. If they said yes, you may send in your FL scores. Also try to emphasize that Georgetown is your first choice/if admitted you'll definitely go, something like that.
My FLs weren't that fancy at all...but it's kinda in an upward trend I'd say? My CARS sucks like hell...totally hopeless. I skipped CARS in FL3 because I really didn't like KAPLAN CARS style : P
KAPLAN FL1: 124/125/127/126
KAPLAN FL2: 126/123/127/126
KAPLAN FL3: 128/skip/129/129
AAMC sample: 86%/68%/80%/85%
AAMC scored: 130/124/129/127 total 510

Amy Richards is one of the secretaries for the program and Rachel is a former alumni of the program who stuck around and is helping Amy with the administrative things. The program directors are Dr. Mulroney and Dr. Myers (who to the extent of my knowledge got recently married). :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys. Congrats to all who got in! I decided not to apply til October because I want more time to study for the MCAT.
I'm just curious what everyone's stats are and see if it matches mine?
I'm currently 3.0 GPA (idk what my science gpa is), Got 400+ hours shadowing here and from abroad, 100+ volunteer, and doing research in neuroscience starting this august (In other words I haven't had much experience yet on research). Is anyone who got accepted similar to what I have? I want to see what my chances are, because I believe I will get like 500 or higher since I improved my study skills and all. And i have great professors and a doctor that I shadowed for recommendations. Thanks in advance!

I'm in! (I think - odd scenario, but I got the "congrats" email from them today)

I'd like to jump ahead on the housing thing though since when I visited students told me to definitely lock that down earlier. Ideally, I'd like to live fairly close to campus - bikeable - and with maybe 1-2 other roommates.

By chance is anyone interested in apartment hunting together in June?

Anyone have any suggestions on looking for housing?

How long from completing the application and getting the email saying it is being sent to the admissions committee and getting a decision did people wait? I have other offers I'm considering expiring this week and Georgetown is my #1 but I want to be able to wait for that decision.

How long from completing the application and getting the email saying it is being sent to the admissions committee and getting a decision did people wait? I have other offers I'm considering expiring this week and Georgetown is my #1 but I want to be able to wait for that decision.

I applied May 21 (literally the deadline), had all my letters sent by May 25, got an email June 2 saying my application was under review, and another email June 11 saying I was accepted (I didn't see it earlier since I was away this weekend). So looks like about 9 days of review for me.

That being said, I had a June 5 deadline to accept an offer at another SMP that I applied to around the same time, so I went ahead and took that rather than wait for Georgetown. Bird in the hand is better than two in the bush. Haven't got the email that would let me decline the offer yet, but once I do, I'll be sure to fill it out right away and get someone off the waitlist ASAP.

I actually applied to Georgetown's SMP last year and got rejected then, so here are my stats:

Spring 2016 (rejected): ORM, Majored in Neuroscience at a top private school; strong leadership-based ECs; about 600 hours nonclinical and clinical work experience plus some shadowing; minimal research experience; upward GPA trends in last half of undergraduate leading to a 3.3cGPA, 3.1sGPA; 509 MCAT (129/124/127/129), I think CARS plus low GPA killed me

Spring 2017 (accepted): Spent gap year working at an urgent care and getting tons of patient experience (~1200 hours); took enough post-bac science classes at a state university to raise my GPA to a 3.4cGPA, 3.2sGPA; retook MCAT and got a 521 (131/129/129/132).

I applied May 21 (literally the deadline), had all my letters sent by May 25, got an email June 2 saying my application was under review, and another email June 11 saying I was accepted (I didn't see it earlier since I was away this weekend). So looks like about 9 days of review for me.

That being said, I had a June 5 deadline to accept an offer at another SMP that I applied to around the same time, so I went ahead and took that rather than wait for Georgetown. Bird in the hand is better than two in the bush. Haven't got the email that would let me decline the offer yet, but once I do, I'll be sure to fill it out right away and get someone off the waitlist ASAP.

I actually applied to Georgetown's SMP last year and got rejected then, so here are my stats:

Spring 2016 (rejected): ORM, Majored in Neuroscience at a top private school; strong leadership-based ECs; about 600 hours nonclinical and clinical work experience plus some shadowing; minimal research experience; upward GPA trends in last half of undergraduate leading to a 3.3cGPA, 3.1sGPA; 509 MCAT (129/124/127/129), I think CARS plus low GPA killed me

Spring 2017 (accepted): Spent gap year working at an urgent care and getting tons of patient experience (~1200 hours); took enough post-bac science classes at a state university to raise my GPA to a 3.4cGPA, 3.2sGPA; retook MCAT and got a 521 (131/129/129/132).

Gotcha, I was marked under review on the 2nd so I'm hoping to get an email within the next few days.

WOAH awesome jump in MCAT score. How/what did you study to get such a massive increase in score. Congrats!

Reactions: 1 users
So as a followup to totafan's question, does anyone have any insight regarding time-management for the GTDT curriculum? I was under the impression that for the program at the main campus, you basically have no time to volunteer/shadow. So how do the GTDT students usually fit it into their schedule? Do they just have less time to study than the main campus students? Or are the GTDT classes shorter, or something?

I believe that they way the lecture material is delivered to the students at GTDT is different than GUMC, so that most of the learning at GTDT is done on the students' own time, and the time that would normally be spent in class can be used for volunteering and shadowing.

Still waiting to hear but compiling possible housing for all my options since its getting later in the summer where are people looking?

Depends, do you want to live with roommates or get a single?
Still waiting to hear but compiling possible housing for all my options since its getting later in the summer where are people looking?

The two most common neighborhoods for SMP students were Burleith (the blocks just north of the hospital) and Fox Hall (the blocks just to the west of the hospital/campus). Others were scattered about or they were commuters. No person I knew lived in Georgetown proper (probs a $$$ thing), nor did anyone I know live in the DC neighborhoods that are usually pretty popular like Adams Morgan, the Hill, Navy Yard, etc. Georgetown is not particularly metro accessible, and noone I knew actually took the metro.

I would recommend scouring the Facebook groups for housing/sublets in the DMV area, or the groups for incoming Georgetown grad students and accepted SMP students. Georgetown also has a site for off-campus student living: Georgetown Off-Campus Housing Search.

My advice:
•if you have to room/live with people whom you don't know, live with other SMP students. Having the same schedule in a house is convenient.
•don't jump on the first listing or housing opportunity that seems good. Shop around and see what others are paying in other areas. All things being equal you could probably live in Burleith for $700-900/month if you wait on the right opportunity.
•Burleith is by far the most convenient as it's a 10 minute walk to class. Fox Hall, Wisconsin Ave, et al are also good choices though and are doable.

I believe that they way the lecture material is delivered to the students at GTDT is different than GUMC, so that most of the learning at GTDT is done on the students' own time, and the time that would normally be spent in class can be used for volunteering and shadowing.

GTDTers had a personal teacher/prof of sorts for all the material and sometimes personal demonstrations/interaction with the professors themselves. They did have forced volunteering during certain days/periods, though. The difference between the lecture material being presented is that they watch lecture capture of the lecture, and then have like review or problem-solving sessions with their professor to integrate the material.

Accepted today.

Stats for those interested MCAT - 506 (retaking, submitted practices scores of 511/513)
gpa - 2.98 sgpa - 2.89

Reactions: 4 users
GTDTers had a personal teacher/prof of sorts for all the material and sometimes personal demonstrations/interaction with the professors themselves. They did have forced volunteering during certain days/periods, though. The difference between the lecture material being presented is that they watch lecture capture of the lecture, and then have like review or problem-solving sessions with their professor to integrate the material.

Did you attend the GTDT or GUMC, and might you have any advice for the incomers? How did you do in the program, if you don’t mind me asking?

Did you attend the GTDT or GUMC, and might you have any advice for the incomers? How did you do in the program, if you don’t mind me asking?

Yeah, of course. I was on main campus.

Any advice for incoming students? It depends on a lot of factors and advice about what? I could give advice but you would need to be more specific cause it depends on the person's personal situation.

I did fine in the program. Considering what my uGPA was, I am happy with my performance. Did it fulfill the expectations I had in the beginning of the year? No, not at all.

Accepted today.

Stats for those interested MCAT - 506 (retaking, submitted practices scores of 511/513)
gpa - 2.98 sgpa - 2.89

Yeah, the average GPA of the program may be 3.2, but it has a WIDE RANGE. I had an uGPA/sGPA of around 2.6/2.7, so if that is you, you are not alone. As well, there were people in the program who had worse uGPAs than mine. There were also a lot of people with the same situation (low uGPA, high MCAT).

So, if you think you have no chance at getting in, you should at least try and put you best foot forward. I did not think I would get in...

Yeah, of course. I was on main campus.

Any advice for incoming students? It depends on a lot of factors and advice about what? I could give advice but you would need to be more specific cause it depends on the person's personal situation.

I did fine in the program. Considering what my uGPA was, I am happy with my performance. Did it fulfill the expectations I had in the beginning of the year? No, not at all.

What kind of expectations are you referring to?

What kind of expectations are you referring to?

Yeah that was a poorly worded sentence. What I meant was I had expectations of doing very well in the program and did not meet that goal. I did not do as well as I thought I was going to or wanted to. That's why I'm loath to give advice without knowing the individual situation for someone heading into this program!

Yeah that was a poorly worded sentence. What I meant was I had expectations of doing very well in the program and did not meet that goal. I did not do as well as I thought I was going to or wanted to. That's why I'm loath to give advice without knowing the individual situation for someone heading into this program!

I see what you’re saying, sorry that was a very general question lol! My undergrad GPA was eh, I ended up with a cumulative 3.28, so there is a lot of pressure to do well in this program. I’m trying to do my best to research study methods and mentally prepare myself in order to do well, but wow I’m just super nervous. I know its not feasible to expect to get a 3.9, but do you possibly have any advice on what you did that worked for you or maybe somethings that didn’t? I know what worked for you won’t work for everyone, but your insight would be appreciated! :)

Yeah, the average GPA of the program may be 3.2, but it has a WIDE RANGE. I had an uGPA/sGPA of around 2.6/2.7, so if that is you, you are not alone. As well, there were people in the program who had worse uGPAs than mine. There were also a lot of people with the same situation (low uGPA, high MCAT).

So, if you think you have no chance at getting in, you should at least try and put you best foot forward. I did not think I would get in...

Would you mind sharing your GPA in the SMP?

Hi! I was just recently taken off of the waitlist and accepted into the SMP program starting Fall 2017. I am concerned about the grading as we have to outperform the current medical school students in order to get an A (apparently). Is this true? Also, what are the chances of getting accepted into the medical school if you are a part of the SMP program? Thanks!

Hey all,

I am considering applying to GEMS for the fall of 2018. Could anyone in the program now give me some advice on what it is like? Also, a rough idea of my chances at getting in to Georgetown Medical School after?
I am nervous because Georgetown is my top medical school, but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket with this program. I currently attend the University of Michigan, I have a 3.2 sGPA and a 3.3 cGPA. I double majored in chemistry and neuroscience and have a minor in social work. I have tons of extracurriculars (including medical experiences) and positive recommendation letters. I also am hispanic (family from came in from venezuela, although my closest relatives currently live in Puerto Rico) and very socio-economically disadvantaged (which adds to my nervousness about this program because I have to be conscious about costs and I want to make sure its worth it). I have a 510 on the MCAT as well and am a Michigan resident. Would this program be a good idea for me? Or should I just apply to the normal MD program? I really would love to go to Georgetown, but I have read such mixed reviews on this program that I am not sure if it is worth it.