SMP Georgetown for class of 2017-2018 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HaartSurgeon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I didn't see an application thread for the new Georgetown SMP cycle (2017-2018) so I thought I would post one!

Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
cGPA: ~3.2 sGPA:~3.18, MCAT 506 but I am retaking in January because I think that score was a fluke and I know I can do better. ECs are okay, nothing too crazy. I don't have any research experience.
I'm taking the MCAT for the first time in January as well! Good luck!

Are you doing any prep courses?

Nope! I think they're a waste of money. Did you apply without an MCAT?

And good luck to you as well!

I don't think they take applications without an MCAT score! I'm really not to prepared to take it but I really want to get into this program so idk if I should risk taking it or not. I don't want a gap year without school.

Have you heard of anyone who's gotten in with just a gre score? I will take the MCAT eventually in June but I don't think my app will be processed without the score.

Hey anyone applying using a GRE score? I have a 3.6 GPA and 321 GRE, graduated with highest honor for my research. ECs are okay...volunteer, research, teaching etc...I don't really know whether I could get in since I heard they prefer the MCAT. I plan to take the MCAT around May so I won't use my MCAT.
3.6? Why don't you just take the MCAT and apply to medical school?

Reactions: 1 users
Would applying to this sort of program this cycle make sense if I'm taking the MCAT in April/May?

debating applying.. not having much success this cycle (0 II), with a 3.6 gpa (3.4 ish sGPA) and 513 mcat- any thoughts?

debating applying.. not having much success this cycle (0 II), with a 3.6 gpa (3.4 ish sGPA) and 513 mcat- any thoughts?

I'm in a similar situation, also 0 II with 3.6 GPA (3.6 sGPA) and a 516 MCAT. My EC's are a bit weak and i might have a bad rec letter, so i thought i could get one from an SMP program.

Stats are gpa 3.7, sGPA 3.6 took the mcat and totally failed (497), applied to the georgetown smp but not really sure if I will get in because of my mcat score. ECs are good, have about a year of chemistry research. What do you thing my chances are?

Stats are gpa 3.7, sGPA 3.6 took the mcat and totally failed (497), applied to the georgetown smp but not really sure if I will get in because of my mcat score. ECs are good, have about a year of chemistry research. What do you thing my chances are?
retake the mcat. I wouldn't do smp if I were you

Reactions: 3 users
I was just accepted today! Very excited :)

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!
Mind sharing your stats?

Thank you!
3.33 cGPA/ 2.81 sGPA/514 MCAT
3 years of public health research, 2 years of clinical research with a good amount of patient contact (just part time projects I've been doing since I'm still in school, nothing full time), lots of volunteering/teaching with probably half of it being unrelated to healthcare, and other random stuff sprinkled here and there
I think most of my ECs fall into the "good-but-pretty standard" category if that makes sense. I think applying early really helped!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone what do you think my chances are applying to this program with a 3.23 cGPA/3.1 sGPA/22 MCAT (2014 havent retook)
2 years of undergraduate research (indepedent project, 1 poster presentation at conference), 1.5 years of research at UPenn following graduation (indepdent project, author on 1 publication) lots of volunteering during undergrad years/shadowing during undergrad years and here at Penn. Probably won't be retaking MCAT until May

Hey everyone what do you think my chances are applying to this program with a 3.23 cGPA/3.1 sGPA/22 MCAT (2014 havent retook)
2 years of undergraduate research (indepedent project, 1 poster presentation at conference), 1.5 years of research at UPenn following graduation (indepdent project, author on 1 publication) lots of volunteering during undergrad years/shadowing during undergrad years and here at Penn. Probably won't be retaking MCAT until May
I am in the program now. I think if you really want to do the SMP you should apply. They take a very personal approach to reviewing applications and won't simply write you off for not retaking the MCAT yet. I also had an old score and when I applied they contacted me asking if I plan to retake, and I said I was planning to in June (2016). I was waitlisted for the SMP and then when I saw my practice scores weren't up to where I wanted them to be, I let them know I was postponing my MCAT until August (but still before the program would start). I know a lot of people take the MCAT after the program is finished also, and have significantly higher scores since you learn so much bio and biochemistry, and learn how to really study effectively. The program is a lot of work and they probably use the MCAT to see if you are up to studying hard even if your GPA doesn't reflect that for some other reasons, but depending on your applications strengths and how motivated you are, its still worth a shot to apply.

Reactions: 1 user
How is your class doing so far with interviews/acceptances? And whats the typical profile of the people getting admitted to GUSOM?
I am at the downtown campus so I am not sure of stats about people having interviews and stuff because theres only 25 people at our campus vs. the main campus which has close to 200. I know multiple people in my class have had interviews, and we just sent out our fall grade updates so I assume more may come now. I have the lowest GPA of anyone admitted to the SMP and I haven't had any interview invites but I am still on hold for grades at some schools so I am optimistic. I realized though that getting in the year of the program is unlikely, you'd have to have had a relatively strong application before the SMP or get lucky, because the fall grades aren't in until mid-January and most schools have already sent out the majority of interview invites by then so its kind of late. Most people get in the year after the SMP for that reason I assume. But the year of the SMP you do get special consideration for Georgetown.
I don't think theres a profile of people who get into GUSOM except that they LOVE Georgetown. They were super involved in volunteering and clubs during the SMP and took every opportunity to show how dedicated they are to Georgetown and the community.

Just got accepted! I am in absolute shock. I really thought I wasn't qualified, but I am so so relieved that I still have a shot at this.
Yay congrats!! It's a really amazing program and group to be a part of! I'm happy to answer any questions you have.

@jamieneutron how did you choose the downtown campus? Can you shed some light on the differences/advantages?

@jamieneutron how did you choose the downtown campus? Can you shed some light on the differences/advantages?

I ended up choosing the Downtown campus because I like volunteering and I liked the idea of having built in service time each week. I didn't need the service time, but if you do need it, I would definitely suggest the downtown campus. I also liked the idea of being able to watch the lectures at home at my own pace, and then having follow up classes to review and do practice problems, as opposed to the traditional style of going to a 300 person lecture hall and sitting in lectures all day. The only downside I would say is they instituted a 60% attendance policy at downtown, whereas at the main campus you don't ever have to go, and you can still watch the lecture captures on your own. If you're behind in the lecture watching schedule, going to class can actually hurt you cause it obviously takes time away since you won't really benefit if you didn't watch the lecture before hand --- but the key is to not be behind, lol. I prefer being in a class with only 20 people though, its easier to ask questions and have things explained more in depth if needed. Some of the professors do still come to campus to teach, so you can ask them things directly too. I also feel like you have more time because the classes are usually only 2-4 hours, whereas the full lecture classes are sometimes all day. The only potential downside is that our schedule is a week behind, which means we always have an exam right after a holiday break but the main campus has exams right before and get a true break. but i looked at this as an advantage, more time to study (its less than a 1 year program, don't need that many "official breaks"). Feel free to message me if you have other questions or want more specific details!

I ended up choosing the Downtown campus because I like volunteering and I liked the idea of having built in service time each week. I didn't need the service time, but if you do need it, I would definitely suggest the downtown campus. I also liked the idea of being able to watch the lectures at home at my own pace, and then having follow up classes to review and do practice problems, as opposed to the traditional style of going to a 300 person lecture hall and sitting in lectures all day. The only downside I would say is they instituted a 60% attendance policy at downtown, whereas at the main campus you don't ever have to go, and you can still watch the lecture captures on your own. If you're behind in the lecture watching schedule, going to class can actually hurt you cause it obviously takes time away since you won't really benefit if you didn't watch the lecture before hand --- but the key is to not be behind, lol. I prefer being in a class with only 20 people though, its easier to ask questions and have things explained more in depth if needed. Some of the professors do still come to campus to teach, so you can ask them things directly too. I also feel like you have more time because the classes are usually only 2-4 hours, whereas the full lecture classes are sometimes all day. The only potential downside is that our schedule is a week behind, which means we always have an exam right after a holiday break but the main campus has exams right before and get a true break. but i looked at this as an advantage, more time to study (its less than a 1 year program, don't need that many "official breaks"). Feel free to message me if you have other questions or want more specific details!
So what would a typical day look like for you at the downtown campus? Do classes start at the same time on both campuses?

Will definitely PM you so I don't clutter this thread! :)

They're listed above! I really don't know why they accepted me, I was fully expecting a waitlist pending my new MCAT score. I guess they saw potential in my app elsewhere? No idea.

Edit: For anyone reading now or in the future my app was submitted in early December, complete in late January, 'under review' in early february, and I got my decision just a few days after that :)

hey congrats on your acceptance!! A little question here...I actually submitted my application late Jan but I do not have my test score ready. I'm applying using my GRE score but it's still not available. And I'm also waiting for my last LOR. So right now my application says "incomplete". I was wondering when was your application become "under review"? Does it have to be completed? I remember they said supplements are okay to be late. But they do want all three letters to be there in order to be considered as "complete" right? Thanks a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So what would a typical day look like for you at the downtown campus? Do classes start at the same time on both campuses?
I don't know much about the schedule at the main campus, but I know they have a few hours of lectures most days and classes on Fridays. At the downtown campus, we typically have class from 10-2. Some days will be only until 12, some days will go until 3. It's usually 1-2 hours of review per topic, and an hour for lunch break. We don't have classes everyday, usually have classes 2-3 days a week. No classes on Fridays.
Friday or Saturday you are assigned to a various volunteering rotation, which can be anywhere from 2-8 hours depending on the assignment, most are about 4 hours. You do have to find your own transportation to the volunteering, and some of them can be kind of far if you don't have a car.
The classes are a mix of review and the prof. pointing out major things to focus on, and practice problems either individually or in groups. This year there is a 60% attendance requirement, so you can usually miss one or two sessions if you want to just study at home or are behind. I am not sure if next year will be the same.
The downtown campus is in chinatown area. It is a brand new, very quiet building, most of the other classes there are night time business students so it's mostly empty during the day. There are a lot of private rooms with whiteboards and tables to study, and theres a little coffee shop inside. The only downside about the building is its open at 8am, so if you like to study early (like me) its harder. But it is open until 11:30 PM. Its close to trains and buses and most people live walking distance. There is a free shuttle nearby that goes to the main campus, and theres the GU Law library close by also which is nice to study in.

Removing this post because I was just accepted to MD school!

Best of luck to every one!

Last edited:
I don't think they take applications without an MCAT score! I'm really not to prepared to take it but I really want to get into this program so idk if I should risk taking it or not. I don't want a gap year without school.

Have you heard of anyone who's gotten in with just a gre score? I will take the MCAT eventually in June but I don't think my app will be processed without the score.
People do not commonly get in with a GRE score alone. It happens on occasion, but not often. Definitely do not take your MCAT until you are ready though. I understand not wanting a gap year; however, a bad MCAT score can be extremely detrimental to your overall application and won't help your application to the SMP either.

Would applying to this sort of program this cycle make sense if I'm taking the MCAT in April/May?
Yes. The only thing that needs to be in by the May deadline is your primary app. You can send in MCAT scores after that deadline. They prefer test scores from MCATs taken no later than May but do accept scores from June tests so you should be golden.

You would need to retake the MCAT. Their minimum MCAT is a 505 and although it's a soft cutoff they don't go much lower. Look at the reg MS program at GU. They don't require an MCAT score and your stats are way more in line with their program!

I posted this in the 2016-2017 thread this morning, before I found this one. Hope someone can provide some advice for my situation:

I'm an URM who graduated UG in 2010 with a 3.62 cGPA, 3.37 sGPA. I took the MCAT in July 2017 and scored a 500. I took a prep course prior to the MCAT, but honestly it had been so long since I'd taken the courses (and no biochemistry) there was a lot of re-learning of information and I was working full time.

Under the guidance of an advisor I went forward with applying to around 20 MD schools, and netted one interview, for which my application is on hold (school has semi-rolling admissions with remaining decisions expected to be released in the next two weeks).

While there's is still a chance I will be accepted to med school, I am considering post-baccs, SMPs or an MPH for this fall to strengthen my application. I believe pursuing med school on a part time basis while working full time in a non-clinical setting, combined with the time since completing the pre reqs (10 years in some cases), has obviously not helped my application. If I'm not accepted, I will be leaving my full time job and going back to school.

Thoughts on if this SMP may be a good fit for someone in my situation? Should I just focus on retaking the MCAT? Pursue a masters? I'm concerned that if I retake without additional coursework I won't significantly increase my score, but am also concerned about the risks (and costs) of an SMP or postbacc.

I should add, the Georgetown SMP is what I'm leaning towards. I live in MD and currently work in DC. I would want to stay in DC/MD for personal/life reasons for the postbacc/SMP (though applied broadly for Med School).

Thanks
Your overall GPA is on the higher end for the GU SMP and they'll likely want to see a stronger MCAT score. Look into the regular MS in Physiology. They are still geared towards pre-health students but more towards individuals with higher ugrad GPAs. You get to take a lot of upper level science courses in their program as well and the MCAT won't be a disqualifying factor. They also have higher graduating GPAs than the SMP because their students don't take medical schools courses.

Your overall GPA is on the higher end for the GU SMP and they'll likely want to see a stronger MCAT score. Look into the regular MS in Physiology. They are still geared towards pre-health students but more towards individuals with higher ugrad GPAs. You get to take a lot of upper level science courses in their program as well and the MCAT won't be a disqualifying factor. They also have higher graduating GPAs than the SMP because their students don't take medical schools courses.

Thank s for your response, this is helpful. . Ironically I was considering the regular MS, but thought the SMP my be more advantageous because of the med school focus.

Thank s for your response, this is helpful. . Ironically I was considering the regular MS, but thought the SMP my be more advantageous because of the med school focus.
In my opinion, if you're absolutely set on med school the SMP is better than the MS. If you're also considering graduate school, the MS might be a good option. The SMP is very well known by a lot of schools and you're actively taking medical courses and are graded against the M1s already in the seats, so I feel like it carries more weight arguing why med school. They also provide a lot of help with primary/secondary writing and interview prep. If you think you can study hard for the MCAT and score higher and don't want to spend the $$ on the SMP you should do that, but taking the SMP will also train you how to study effectively and you will do way better on the MCAT after it also.

Hi Everyone!! I also just got accepted on Friday! I’m so excited!
For those who have also gotten accepted, how long did it take for you all to receive the “official acceptance” from the graduate school after you received the initial congratulations email from the SMP?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys...so I'm in a real hard situation here now. I submitted my primary Georgetown SMP app around early Jan, 2017. I graduated from Emory in 05/2016. My EC are normal. Decent amount of volunteer and good leadership experience. Huge amount of undergraduate research. I recevied highest honors in neuroscience for my thesis. I believe my LOR should be good and they were already submitted to georgetown. I have 3.6 overall GPA and about the same sGPA. However, I only had one super bad GRE score two years ago (V151/Q163) and a super bad MCAT score (502, 127,122,126,127, totally failed CARS). Right now I really don't know whether I should send this bad MCAT score in...or just use this bad GRE score. I'm retaking the MCAT in June 1st. What should I do...:( I feel like no matter which score I send, it will be detrimental...

Hey guys...so I'm in a real hard situation here now. I submitted my primary Georgetown SMP app around early Jan, 2017. I graduated from Emory in 05/2016. My EC are normal. Decent amount of volunteer and good leadership experience. Huge amount of undergraduate research. I recevied highest honors in neuroscience for my thesis. I believe my LOR should be good and they were already submitted to georgetown. I have 3.6 overall GPA and about the same sGPA. However, I only had one super bad GRE score two years ago (V151/Q163) and a super bad MCAT score (502, 127,122,126,127, totally failed CARS). Right now I really don't know whether I should send this bad MCAT score in...or just use this bad GRE score. I'm retaking the MCAT in June 1st. What should I do...:( I feel like no matter which score I send, it will be detrimental...

First, your GRE score really isn’t bad at all. I sent in my GRE score although I knew it wasn’t the best (151Q, 158V), to show that I could do reasonably well on standardized testing in general. I think it would be good to send in both scores, and emphasize that you are going to be retaking the MCAT in July.

First, your GRE score really isn’t bad at all. I sent in my GRE score although I knew it wasn’t the best (151Q, 158V), to show that I could do reasonably well on standardized testing in general. I think it would be good to send in both scores, and emphasize that you are going to be retaking the MCAT in July.

Congratulations on your acceptance!! So happy for you! Really hope we can be classmate in the future lol.
And thanks for letting me know. I do have a really bad AW score tho...it was a 3. I read from their website saying they want at least a 5 (i was surprised. That's almost an impossible score lol) Praying that the admission officers don't really care about AW. I'll definitely email them about my plan to retake the MCAT this year. Thanks for the advice!

With a 3.6 GPA I really do not think an SMP is a good idea for you, actually it could downright be a BAD idea. Definitely consider retaking the MCAT, the rest of your app looks fine.
Sigh. I'm an international applicant so 3.6 GPA is actually really low. They usually look for 3.8+ for international. I need to do additional academic work and a good MCAT score to show my academic ability. And actually because of the bad MCAT, I have to take an additional gap year. I've been working as a scribe this year and I just really wanted to be back to school...That's why I decided to do SMP as my second gap year instead of working. I heard it's a good preparation for first year in med school. Mind telling me why you think it would be a bad idea?

@GregoryHouseCirca1995 why is it a bad idea to do an SMP with a 3.6 GPA? I'm currently deciding whether to apply to this program. I'm from Northern Virginia and my stats are as follows: 3.3 science GPA, 3.51 overall GPA, 499 MCAT after retake (125/125/125/124). URM, great extracurriculars (2000+ hours in AmeriCorps hospice volunteer w/homeless people, RA in college, university award for commitment to service, tutored urm in math/science, research fellows program/1 publication, etc.). Would it be a good idea to apply? MCAT is low, but I'm not sure if I have time to retake. I'm starting a full time job soon because I am low income/ disadvantaged (no money to apply for medical school), and am afraid I will do worse if I retake...

Wow 2000+ hours of volunteer. I guess to apply or not really depends on whether you want to be at school or working for the next year. If I were you and decided to apply, I'll just take the GRE and use GRE to apply. GRE is so much easier to prepare. And use the majority of your time to study the MCAT and get a good new score.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi everyone! I was recently accepted to the Georgetown SMP and to BU MAMS, trying to decide between the two. If anyone would be able to comment on their experience at Georgetown I would really appreciate it! Also, I was wondering if anyone chooses just to apply to Georgetown during the year due to being evaluated in a separate group of candidates... I applied this past cycle without much luck and am not sure I would want to reapply until next year because I feel my application won't have changed much, but due to the advantage of applying as an SMP student and the fact that I didn't actually apply to Georgetown this past cycle I would consider just applying there! Thanks for any insight

Reactions: 2 users
Hey Guys
Has anyone gotten in and have any advice on financial aid.
1. should I file as myself? with zero income. (My parents are not helping me pay)
or should I file as them? Will I get a better package with their FAFSA over mine.

2. does anyone know of any good scholarships or grants for graduate school to help with finances!

Hey Guys
1. should I file as myself? with zero income. (My parents are not helping me pay)
or should I file as them? Will I get a better package with their FAFSA over mine.

2. does anyone know of any good scholarships or grants for graduate school to help with finances!

Not sure what you mean. When you fill out FAFSA you have to put in your info as well as your parents, regardless of how old you are or if they will help you pay or not.
There are no scholarships or grants, at least at GU. You will have to take out loans to pay tuition and for living expenses. For the SMP it is around 70-80K depending on how much you need to live in DC.

waiting waiting waiting

Last edited:
Hey Guys

I do think they have scholarships available. This is an email I got from them:

"Thank you for your application to the Georgetown SMP. I wanted to inform you of a couple of scholarships offered by the Office of Biomedical Graduate Education, available to US citizens.

If you submitted your application via ApplyYourself on or before January 24, 2017, you have until 4:00PM on February 14, 2017 to submit a scholarship application. If you submitted your ApplyYourself application after January 24, 2017, you have 2 weeks from your submission date to apply. If qualified, you may apply for a scholarship prior to learning your admission decision.

1) Hoyas for Science (20% of tuition costs) - open to anyone who can uniquely contribute to the diversity of the BGE community. See the factors considered here: Hoyas for Science

2) DC/MD/VA ($10,000 ($5k/semester)) - DMV (DC/MD/VA) Hoyas Biomedical Academic Scholarship

You can visit the websites above to see how to apply for these scholarships. I encourage you to apply, if you meet the qualifications.

Additionally, the SMP has a few merit based scholarships (5k - $2500 per semester) that are awarded to the incoming students with the highest academic credentials from his or her undergraduate career. You do not need to apply to be considered for this - all students admitted will be reviewed for these scholarships. You will be contacted directly if you are selected for a merit based scholarship."

So I'd say you definitely should email them to ask about this.

Hi, I am planning to apply but lately I have been stressing out scared :/ Last semester I didn't do well because I literally went through bad stuff. But this semester I am working hard to get better grades. I was a straight A student when I started my freshmen year as an undergrad, but then things messed up, and now im getting somewhat better. But still. I want to really get into SMP. And i know its a rolling admission, but I have been stressing out on what to say in my personal statement and I am planning to submit that with my application next week. My current gpa is like a 3.145 And it might go up to 3.2 by the end im done with summer. (Someone told me that if I do get admitted I can still finish up my undergrad in the summer by August 3rd) My only fear is that I am having trouble with one class bc (not trying to blame or point fingers, and literally everybody in my whole school believes it) but my genetics professor is a terrible teacher. And I am scared that I might en up with a D in her class, but I hope I wont. My goal is to aim for a C.... but I am scared that it won't look so well with my other grades (Bs and A). I know I'll have great recommendation letters, I think I have good experience bc I went out of the country to shadow, did volunteer work over 100 hours, shadowed about 300 hours, and I think my personal statement should suffice in why I want to persue medicine. For those who got accepted, what do you think my chances are? Please be honest with me. I am so anxious and I really don't want to get rejected or waitlisted.... Will Really appreciate your reply!

hey guys,
also applying to GU here!

Has anyone here submitted their apps yet?

I have yet to because I'm waiting for a rec letter, and also my MCAT is scheduled in May, which is before the deadline for submission without test scores.

Hi, I am planning to apply but lately I have been stressing out scared :/ Last semester I didn't do well because I literally went through bad stuff. But this semester I am working hard to get better grades. I was a straight A student when I started my freshmen year as an undergrad, but then things messed up, and now im getting somewhat better. But still. I want to really get into SMP. And i know its a rolling admission, but I have been stressing out on what to say in my personal statement and I am planning to submit that with my application next week. My current gpa is like a 3.145 And it might go up to 3.2 by the end im done with summer. (Someone told me that if I do get admitted I can still finish up my undergrad in the summer by August 3rd) My only fear is that I am having trouble with one class bc (not trying to blame or point fingers, and literally everybody in my whole school believes it) but my genetics professor is a terrible teacher. And I am scared that I might en up with a D in her class, but I hope I wont. My goal is to aim for a C.... but I am scared that it won't look so well with my other grades (Bs and A). I know I'll have great recommendation letters, I think I have good experience bc I went out of the country to shadow, did volunteer work over 100 hours, shadowed about 300 hours, and I think my personal statement should suffice in why I want to persue medicine. For those who got accepted, what do you think my chances are? Please be honest with me. I am so anxious and I really don't want to get rejected or waitlisted.... Will Really appreciate your reply!

hey there, I'm in a similar position as you, started poorly freshman to sophomore year but got my **** together and made myself more qualified in the latter years. In reality I think all the applicants are in a similar position, otherwise we wouldn't be applying for an SMP

your gpa is within the SMP range, are you taking the MCAT?

Yeah but my first MCAT was 478 (this is from August 2016) I'm planning to retake it in May :/ My goal is to hit hopefully at least a 510 or higher. regardless im freaking out... since im kinda applying late. My transcript wouldnt be available until after may 15

Yeah but my first MCAT was 478 (this is from August 2016) I'm planning to retake it in May :/ My goal is to hit hopefully at least a 510 or higher. regardless im freaking out... since im kinda applying late. My transcript wouldnt be available until after may 15

i'm also taking it in May. If I'm not mistaken GU wants us to submit our apps with or without the test scores (deadline in early May), so you can send them your scores later in June when its released. As for transcript I think you can also send it late? But you should attach the most recent trancsript you have on your application.

Anyone have any insight on what would be considered a "late" (if it's not already late) application for this program?

As I am currently waitlisted with no acceptances, I have recently become more open to the idea of a post-bac.