Smelly Feet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tentomruler

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m not trolling; this is a genuine question. I’m interested in podiatry and certainly don’t mind non-odiferous feet. I’m wondering if you ever have to work around people with smelly feet? Does somebody clean them beforehand? Do you get used to the smell?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure an attending will be able to answer wether they've "gotten use to" any smells. My advice is to never let a lecturer or textbook trick you into thinking psuedomonas has a "fruity" odor...you'll be in for a rude surprise when you walk into that first room with a patient who's got an infection

Do you brush your teeth before going to the dentist? Shower before going to the OB or urologist? Do they also wear exam gloves when doing the physical? Pretty common sense, man.

Members don't see this ad :)
My gramps (a pod) used to always send the really bad ones to an assistant for a 'standard' whirlpool foot bath, at that time in the state he practiced in, he could bill for the whirlpool bath as well, so everybody was a winner!!:laugh::laugh:

I'm pretty sure there are much worse places on the human body to work on!! :D

That s what i say everyday in anatomy lab, gastro, gyno, uro, oral, yeah, diabetic feet dont sound too bad put that way!

Sent from my SPH-D600 using SDN Mobile

Hello,

I’m not trolling; this is a genuine question. I’m interested in podiatry and certainly don’t mind non-odiferous feet. I’m wondering if you ever have to work around people with smelly feet? Does somebody clean them beforehand? Do you get used to the smell?

Thanks

i haven't really worked around smelly feet yet but i have had to do a few rectal examinations and often times i will see fecal matter in my gloves and you just get use to it. I learned to become comfortable with these things and learned that its all part of good medicine.

i haven't really worked around smelly feet yet but i have had to do a few rectal examinations and often times i will see fecal matter in my gloves and you just get use to it. I learned to become comfortable with these things and learned that its all part of good medicine.

Thanks, now I've really enjoyed my dinner. There are some things I will/would never get comfortable with, and I can assure you that seeing fecal matter on my gloves is one of those:eek:

Can't wait until you have to drain a peri-anal abscess on a patient with less than optimal hygiene. That's an anaerobic smell you will NEVER forget. Couldn't get that smell or the thought of that smell out of my proboscis for days. Yes, all part of good medicine.

Now let me put some Vicks Vaporub under my nose to cover that pleasant odor.

and the whole time I was applying to pod school the most common response from people I told was, "Feet, how can you work with feet? They're so disgusting, medicine is cool and all but I could never work with feet!" This from other premeds, students looking to get into pa or np school, etc. Oh how irony is sweet! (and smelly!)

Hello,

Thanks

When all parts of the body are "clean" like after a shower, and someone wears a shoe and walks to work/school/grocery store and takes off their shoes, the feet seem smelly.

When you're talking about pathology or disease, the feet don't seem as bad.

I had to do a rectal exam on a homeless man at 4am in a VA hospital. That will humble any man.

I don't like dirty "stuff" in general, and being a podiatrist has been a wonderful choice for me.

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd ask...

You performed rectal exams as a podiatry student?

Because podiatrists are able to prescribe medications, diagnose/treat, and are expected to manage their own patients (especially a hospital employed podiatrist), so standard clinical rotations are a must to ensure proper care.

Reactions: 2 users
Virgin hands right here...and I turned out just fine

Reactions: 1 users