Small Animal Surgery/Neuro Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildDog

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am hoping to pursue a small animal surgery residency (neuro is a top contender) but had a question about the importance of being in the top 25%. I am in the top 30% but unfortunately was not able to make it 5% higher and into phi zeta. Will this effect my shot at getting a residency? I'd love to stay in academia but will consider private practices, since I'm assuming academia is much more competitive. To off-set this, I've participated in research and have a couple of publications (will that help?). I did match to my top choice internship, but I know internships are much easier to match and get your pick....

Not giving up hope...just trying to learn what to expect realistically....

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the residency program, but I think you still have a good shot. In general, private practice residencies are easier to get into and you definitely have a shot at those with a top 30% class rank. Academia is more competitive, but with stellar LORs, research experience, and pubs, you will still be a good candidate. I know a few surgery residents who weren't in the top 25% of their class.

It may hurt you at some programs, but other do look more holistically at applicants. I would focus on building connections during your internship for stellar LoRs and network your heart out.