SMA syndrome vs nutcracker on posture?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pzh200707

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
SMA syndrome is triggered in supine position due to narrowed angle.
Nutcracker syndrome leads to orthostatic proteinuria and varicocele, and symptoms relieved in supine position.

UW said: when the patient is recumbent , much of the blood returns to systemic circulation and the varicocele diminished in size.

cant understand....help

Members don't see this ad.

SMA syndrome is triggered in supine position due to narrowed angle.
Nutcracker syndrome leads to orthostatic proteinuria and varicocele, and symptoms relieved in supine position.

UW said: when the patient is recumbent , much of the blood returns to systemic circulation and the varicocele diminished in size.

cant understand....help
SMA syndrome involves compression of the transverse portion of the duodenum between the SMA and aorta leading to bowel obstruction.

Nutcracker syndrome is the compression of the left renal vein between the SMA and aorta which leads to proteinuria and left-sided varicocele. When recumbent, venous return to the heart increases due to gravity no longer forcing blood to stay in the venous pool. This relieves the varicocele.

Edit: sorry, I re-read your post and see where the confusion lies. SMA syndrome is a mechanical obstruction that is exacerbated by laying down due to angle narrowing. With nutcracker syndrome, the reduced effects of gravity on the venous circulation overcomes the SMA/aorta angle narrowing when recumbent.

Reactions: 1 user
SMA syndrome involves compression of the transverse portion of the duodenum between the SMA and aorta leading to bowel obstruction.

Nutcracker syndrome is the compression of the left renal vein between the SMA and aorta which leads to proteinuria and left-sided varicocele. When recumbent, venous return to the heart increases due to gravity no longer forcing blood to stay in the venous pool. This relieves the varicocele.

Edit: sorry, I re-read your post and see where the confusion lies. SMA syndrome is a mechanical obstruction that is exacerbated by laying down due to angle narrowing. With nutcracker syndrome, the reduced effects of gravity on the venous circulation overcomes the SMA/aorta angle narrowing when recumbent.

Thanks. I think the only thing I can't accept is the fact that the reduced venous circulation can OVERCOME the angle narrowing. :dead: