SLP drafuate student thinking of medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SLPinsight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone who cares,

I am currently in a master's program in speech language pathology in NYC. It was SUPER difficult to get into the program as it is a Cuny school. I understand that most don't get the opportunity that I did. However, I fear my mind is not at peace.

I am considering taking pre-reqs and applying to medical school but I am stumped because I am already in this program. SO, I have 1 year and a half to finish plus a CF to do. I am 23 years old. I will finish when I am 25 years old. I wonder if anyone has ever done pre-reqs for medical school during a master's program. I am also considering a PhD in this field but I am very unsure. I am worried I will not be able to support myself and a kid (if I have one) with the lousy money SLPs get these days. :mad:

I wonder if anyone else had these thoughts and actually did this. Im sure it can be done but medical school is a longggg process. I really want advice on what I should do. Most people I talk to say to finish the master's and then think about it to make a wiser choice, but I don't want to waste time and hold back on doing the pre-reqs! Please give me helpful advice to the best of your ability. I am really struggling here and am going a little insane. This is my future after all! Thank you and please be kind. I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I have not gone through exactly what you are going through now, I have met several people who went from SLp to dental school. I loved being an SLP (then got an MPH) and worked in various places, I would finish the program and try out the field - work in a hospital, you can always do pre reqs, you are still early in your career and young. Many people go back to med or dental school much later ! Definitely consider dental school. If I had known all of the interesting things that dental / MDs do I would have considered it more heavily. (Now I am well into my 40s and do not want to sink my finances again after 2 Masters degrees. )More MDs, DMDs get to supervise, teach, direct health centers, etc. Unfortunately an MPH did not equip me with enough hard skills like stats analysis, evaluation etc to really have the kind of jobs I would have liked so I am considering PhD in Speech or Pub health. Good luck !!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not gone through exactly what you are going through now, I have met several people who went from SLp to dental school. I loved being an SLP (then got an MPH) and worked in various places, I would finish the program and try out the field - work in a hospital, you can always do pre reqs, you are still early in your career and young. Many people go back to med or dental school much later ! Definitely consider dental school. If I had known all of the interesting things that dental / MDs do I would have considered it more heavily. (Now I am well into my 40s and do not want to sink my finances again after 2 Masters degrees. )More MDs, DMDs get to supervise, teach, direct health centers, etc. Unfortunately an MPH did not equip me with enough hard skills like stats analysis, evaluation etc to really have the kind of jobs I would have liked so I am considering PhD in Speech or Pub health. Good luck !!

I appreciate your feedback a lot. I check daily to see if anyone has advice. I have decided that will finish the program (Masters in speech pathology) as it would be silly of me not to. do not feel that young! All my friends are already a year from finishing what they want to do and I am the last one. I don't know what it is about the 20s but it is a very confusing age. Where have you worked as an SLP?

I started in acute rehab then went to early intervention / pre school (home & center based), then to adult home care., and eventually SNF.

I am 25, also an SLP. I hate it. I'm beginning med school reqs now.

I know this is an old thread, hopefully you're still checking here. I graduated with my MS SLP in May 2015, took a job with a private practice doing home visits, mainly with children (even though I already knew I would dislike it, but wanted to at least get my full license). Hated it more than I could have imagined, applied for a CF job in a SNF and was offered it in September 2015. From then til January 2016 was working with their attorney's office because I'm Canadian and needed a visa. They weren't sure if I would get a visa, but we're trying a tactic they thought might work (slp isn't one of the professions on that visa). Was denied the visa near the end of January 2016 (of course) and now I'm out of a job, had to quit the one I hated by October 1 2015 because annual registration fees in ontario were due (didn't wanna pay if I wasn't gonna be working here), so don't have a license and would have to start all over. Sooo....

Medicine has always been my first career of choice, and now I'm very seriously considering it. I need to take a lot of courses to boost my gpa though (didn't enjoy undergrad at all so barely studied, not quite sure how I got into grad school..). I just feel like this was the drastic turn of events I needed to try and pursue medicine.

I was wondering how each of you are doing with pre-reqs and how your process is going transitioning into pre-med and applying to med school?

I am not going back to school BUT I know lots of people (check some of the non trad student forums on here)are so determined to get into med school that they stick with that path at all costs, even if it means applying multiple times. If I recall you are younger than most of the non traditional students on the forums, (dental or med). My former co worker had an MPH and worked in hospitals for several years, before deciding to go back and do the post bacc courses for pre-med, she is now 30 at just started applying to med school. She does not care where she goes and is open to whatever program will accept. I think if your gpa is in question people recommend taking other courses to boost it, such as Master's level ones, or even another grad degree (though that is a LOT to take on I realize). If as you say it has always been your career of choice then you should NOT wait and you will not be satisfied until you are on that path to pursue it ! Good luck !

I went to nursing school (bachelors). Practiced as a nurse for a few years. Went back and took my medical school pre-reqs (same as you would have to take). Applied to medical school and was accepted.

Its a long road. However, follow your dream and enjoy the journey!

I know this thread is old, but any updates from SLPs who went back for med school or tried and got in? What path did you take? School you got into? I desire to be a highly-specialized ENT-SLP to further both fields. Any advice for my situation? (26YO female, married but no kids, in first year of grad program —graduating next July) — TIA!!!