SLOE Trouble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMTA2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've searched the forum and found a similar question asked, but did not find any definitive answers, so I hope it's ok that I am asking again.

I am a DO student with a good application, very good scores, and so far no red flags. I did one away rotation last month and suspect I got honors, as well as some very strong comments.

I am rotating at a program this month and have been getting bad vibes every shift, so decided to browse SDN a little bit and found some really concerning things. Multiple people have noted that they got excellent feedback during the rotation and were then blindisded by a bad SLOE.

Additionally, we have been unable to use the programs evaluation system until yesterday, and I am just now able to send out evaluations for my shifts over the past two weeks (I'm sure the attendings don't remember me by this point). I had done 1/3 of my shifts already, so a pretty significant portion.

All of this, plus a few more things, has me concerned about the SLOE. I'm wondering if it would be better to not release the SLOE from this rotation than to potentially be blindisided by a bad letter. If I choose to not release, I will have one SLOE in by Sept 15, and have 2 more coming from September and October rotations.

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really sorry you're going through this - I'm also suffering from the SLOE woes. It's hard to sit and wait and hope things work out.

I'm wondering if it would be better to not release the SLOE from this rotation than to potentially be blindsided by a bad letter.

Is not releasing a SLOE even allowed? Won't programs know that you're withholding a SLOE because they'll see the "What rotation # is this?" question on everyone else's SLOE?

Tongue-in-cheek advice: If it turns out that selectively releasing SLOEs is a valid strategy, I suppose you could always test it out by adding a bunch of programs you're not interested in to your list and only assigning the questionable SLOE to them. If you get a bunch of invites from them, then you know it was a good SLOE and can add it to other programs! This only works if programs read SLOEs before sending out invites, though, which I'm not sure is always the case. HMMM. Science is hard.

If you think the SLOE is not ideal or even good, wait to release it until after interviews are given out then release it. They will probably ask for it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
If you think the SLOE is not ideal or even good, wait to release it until after interviews are given out then release it. They will probably ask for it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Can programs see the date the SLOE was uploaded to ERAS? Or just the date the SLOE was released to the proram? Either way, there's a date field at the bottom of the SLOE form. If I were a program, I would be wondering what the applicant is trying to hide by waiting over a month to submit a SLOE.

Reactions: 1 user
Is not releasing a SLOE even allowed? Won't programs know that you're withholding a SLOE because they'll see the "What rotation # is this?" question on everyone else's SLOE?

Can programs see the date the SLOE was uploaded to ERAS? Or just the date the SLOE was released to the proram? Either way, there's a date field at the bottom of the SLOE form. If I were a program, I would be wondering what the applicant is trying to hide by waiting over a month to submit a SLOE.

It's definitely allowed, and will definitely raise questions. I guess that's what I'm asking - is it better to have some questions raised or is is better to release a SLOE that could very well be bad. I would think the latter would be worse, but that's just speculation.

It's definitely allowed, and will definitely raise questions. I guess that's what I'm asking - is it better to have some questions raised or is is better to release a SLOE that could very well be bad. I would think the latter would be worse, but that's just speculation.

Worse to have a bomb in your app.

Reactions: 1 user