SLOE/LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onagoodday

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will have 3 SLOEs by beginning of November.

Should I just wait for these 3 SLOEs to be my LORs, or should I send a LOR i received at the beginning of my 3rd from IM rotation and the first 2 SLOEs I receive?

I see a lot of programs only want 3 letters total. Would November be too late to have the 3 letters in?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Similar question: I was a super late conversion to emergency medicine and don't have my home rotation until September and an away in October. Besides looking for reassurance (am I screwed?), I'm wondering if I should just assign my "other" LOR (chair of IM, very strong, personal letter) when ERAS opens and assign SLOEs when they come in?

I'm a very competitive applicant otherwise and don't want to get locked out of a bunch of interviews just by virtue of my late SLOEs.

@gamerEMdoc
Yes, you will need 3 letters at some point. If you're truly a rock star you'll get plenty of interviews... when your first SLOE comes in.

Similar question: I was a super late conversion to emergency medicine and don't have my home rotation until September and an away in October. Besides looking for reassurance (am I screwed?), I'm wondering if I should just assign my "other" LOR (chair of IM, very strong, personal letter) when ERAS opens and assign SLOEs when they come in?

I'm a very competitive applicant otherwise and don't want to get locked out of a bunch of interviews just by virtue of my late SLOEs.

@gamerEMdoc

Submit the great IM letter, then the two SLOES as they roll in. Late converts happen. And you cant go back in time. No point in worrying about it now. Like the post above said, if you are a great candidate, this wont sink your chances.

Reactions: 1 user
I am still wondering if I should just wait for the 3 SLOEs or if I should send an IM letter from 3rd year now and send the SLOEs as they arrive- and then would end up with 4 letters.

I will have 2 sloes by Sept. 15th. My last rotation is in October, so that sloe won't be available until november. Is it worth asking for a letter from faculty I've worked with in order to have 3 letters going into Sept? Or is 2 letters until November okay?