Sleep or study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dara678

Hello Kitty Fan
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so it's the night before our heme exam. Should I sleep, so I get all the benefits of having a clear brain to think tomorrow, or should I study, just so I can cover all those little details I didn't catch before and possibly get extra points?

This is always a dilemma for me ...every night before an exam ... *eek*

Members don't see this ad.

For me at least the night before an exam I can't seem to learn anything new. I guess I get too freaked out. I would say get some rest.

depends what position you are in. If you literally know next to nothing, you would benefit from studying. If it's the difference between getting 85% or higher, than i think sleep gets you more marks.

Members don't see this ad :)
SLEEP! Integrate what you've learned into longer-term memory! Consolidate brain pathways! It'll help!

whatever you choose i'm sure spending time on sdn isn't the answer.

I agree with Nicko18. Most people can know next to nothing and cram and make a passing grade on the majority of exams (at least at my school). The learning curve for the remainder of the material, the material that will get you an A, is MUCH more horizontal.

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

i am absolutely non-functional without it.

how did your exam go? :luck: :luck: :luck:

it went well!! thanks for asking :) i ended up sleeping for like five hours hehe.

I dunno, it just seems like some of my classmates never sleep before the exam and I wonder if they know something I don't know.

And yeah i shouldn't be spending time on sdn the night before... but when you've been studying anemia and coagulation for days and days it does get a little dry :p

some of my classmates who never sleep before exams always look like they might pass out during the exam.

congrats on your test :thumbup:

dara678 said:
Okay, so it's the night before our heme exam. Should I sleep, so I get all the benefits of having a clear brain to think tomorrow, or should I study, just so I can cover all those little details I didn't catch before and possibly get extra points?

This is always a dilemma for me ...every night before an exam ... *eek*

I normally choose study- as long as I get at least 4 hours of sleep. Everybody's different, but I have found that I need at least 4 hours of sleep to think straight. I still remember my first organic exam sophomore year.... I didn't sleep at all- and I knew the material extremely well- but the lack of sleep killed me. I made a ton of stupid mistakes. Since then, through some trial and erro, I have determined 4 hours is the magic # for me. You just need to figure out what works for you.

Seems like you are not doing either (sleeping or studying) when you are on here (SDN). Maybe next time, get off of SDN and then come up with a plan.

The 4 hour rule seems to apply to me as well. Of course, 6 or 7 is better (and actually needed in the long run) but for short periods of time, when I really need to push it, 4 hours is enough. When I start getting less my mental capacity is noticeably impaired.

Does anyone avoid sleeping? I think something might be wrong with me. I really do not like to sleep. Or.. I do not like going to bed. I happen to like sleep in the morning, it is the going to bed thing that i have a hard time with.

I've prob sleeping before exams, except those crummy ones..

Makes no difference..sleep.. :thumbup: