Sleep medicine to boost PCC application ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IM3003

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an R2 in a medium size community program with no in house fellowships. I'm honestly interested in PCC but I feel my options are limited coming from a community program and being on J1 visa. I feel like I have time ( not married , no commitments and still 27) and was thinking about doing a year of sleep to go to a bigger place and make connections and add some publications on my cv and then apply to PCC.
Would appreciate any thoughts on this !

Members don't see this ad.

Could it help? Sure. Will it help a lot? Probably not.

Most people go the other way around. You can bring a lot more of what you learned in a PCC fellowship training to a Sleep Medicine fellowship than the other way around. A few SM fellowships actually have tracks for people who are not of the pulmonary background that gives them extra training in pulmonary so that they can better understand and diagnose sleep pathologies.

Focus on boosting your PCC application with things like research, away/internal rotations with PCC physicians and getting good LORs, or more ICU experience. Those will go further in making your app stand out. Not to mention the issue of focusing on programs that have their department core in PCC (the division of Sleep Medicine falls under various departments depending on the program) to help with your connections which would limit your application further aside from the fact that you'd be competing mostly with guys who have already done PCC and applying to SM.