Sleep Medicine Fellowship 2018 start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepas2ndcareer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there applying this year for a sleep medicine fellowship. I am applying to programs in the midwest around chicago. I can't apply far away due to family constraints to the area.

No interviews offered yet but it has only been 1 business day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I'm in as well. Applied only to East Coast (similar family reasons). Just received my first interview today. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I'm in as well. Applied only to East Coast (similar family reasons). Just received my first interview today. Best of luck!
On your eras page do the documents still say "available " to programs or does it change to downloaded or something different? Best of Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, applied on july 18 - no interviews.
Where did you hear from so far?
Let's keep a list - I think there's only a few of us on SDN and not that many we know apply, so keep it updated and fresh on here - will be a huge help.
Cheers.

Have not heard from California/Chicago programs, Seattle, Emory, OHSU.

Does any one know what months/ how early or late interviews usually run? trying to switch schedules and figuring out if I should have most flexibility in august vs. September vs. October.
also, how soon after invites do people usually respond for scheduling?

My two scheduled interviews are August and September.
I try to reply within the hour of seeing the email.

Last edited:
Heard back from George Washington today.
They had interview dates in August then in October. No clue why September seems to be skipped.

Best of luck y'all!

Last edited:
Interviews sent out based on consolidated list and adding mine:
Emory
George Wash
Stanford

My interviews dates have been Aug/Sept/Oct - but only the first week of Oct.
I would favor keeping Sept most open.
I reply back pretty quickly - dates get taken up.

@CDI - add your two interviews.

Good stuff, this is helpful....

Has anybody heard back from the programs in Florida?

Updated consolidated list:

Drexel
Emory
George Wash
Seton Hall
Stanford
+1 in NC

If there is anyone who would like to contribute to this list but wants privacy on what interviews they are getting, you are welcome to PM me and I will update the list for you ^.-

Drexel (x2)
Emory
George Wash
Seton Hall
Stanford
Thomas Jefferson
Mt. Sinai
Maryland

Last edited:
Adding some more:

Drexel (x2)
Emory
George Wash
Seton Hall
Stanford
Thomas Jefferson
Mt. Sinai
Maryland
Baylor
UTSW
UT Houston
Dartmouth
MCW

Baylor
Dartmouth
Drexel (x2)
Emory
George Wash
Maryland
MCW
Mt. Sinai
Seton Hall
Stanford
Thomas Jefferson
Uni of Chicago
UT Houston
UTSW

Looking back at last couple of years threads - first two weeks of August were good for interview requests...lets do this

Baylor
Dartmouth
Drexel (x2)
Emory
George Wash
Maryland
MCW
Mt. Sinai
Seton Hall
Stanford
Thomas Jefferson
Uni of Chicago
UT Houston
UTSW
Cleveland Clinic heard from them today ( but they provide only one date, so not sure if I can make it )

Updated:

Baylor
Cleveland Clinic
Dartmouth
Drexel (x2)
Emory
George Wash
Maryland
MCW
Mt. Sinai
Seton Hall
Stanford
Thomas Jefferson
Uni of Chicago
UT Houston
UTSW
Uni of Wash

Updated:

Baylor
Cleveland Clinic
Dartmouth
Drexel (x3)
Emory
George Wash
Maryland (x2)
MCW
Mt. Sinai (x2)
Seton Hall (x2)
Stanford
Thomas Jefferson (x2)
Uni of Chicago
UT Houston
UTSW
Uni of Wash

Baylor
Cleveland Clinic
Dartmouth (x2)
Drexel (x3)
Emory
George Wash
Maryland (x2)
MCW
Mt. Sinai (x2)
Norwalk
Seton Hall (x2)
Stanford
Thomas Jefferson (x3)
Uni of Chicago
UT Houston
UTSW
Uni of Wash

Baylor
Cleveland Clinic
Dartmouth (x2)
Drexel (x3)
Emory
George Wash
Maryland (x2)
MCW
Mt. Sinai (x2)
Norwalk
Seton Hall (x2)
Stanford
Thomas Jefferson (x3)
Univ of Chicago
Univ of Penn
UT Houston
UTSW
Univ of Wash

I spoke with louisville today, their committee starts reviewing applications next week and will offer all interviews by end of august.

I spoke with louisville today, their committee starts reviewing applications next week and will offer all interviews by end of august.
I spoke to Boston University today and their committee will start sending interviews when their coordinator returns from vacation, likely to be next week or week after. Planning for two interview dates in September.
Has anyone else heard from any other programs in Boston?

I talked with Temple program coordinator. Was informed that their program director has not even started reviewing the applications. She was also unable to tell me when their program director will be reviewing the applications.

Met some people on the interview trail and they had interviews to Duke and U Mich.

More Updates:

Baylor
Cleveland Clinic
Dartmouth (x2)
Drexel (x3)
Duke
Emory
George Wash
Maryland (x2)
MCW
Mt. Sinai (x2)
Norwalk
Seton Hall (x2)
St. Vincents
Stanford
Stony Brook
Thomas Jefferson (x3)
Univ of Chicago
Univ of Mich
Univ of Penn
UT Houston
UTSW
Univ of Wash

We are building a nice list!

+Case Western, Johns Hopkins supplemental application

Baylor
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
Dartmouth (x2)
Drexel (x3)
Duke
Emory
George Wash
Johns Hopkins
Maryland (x2)
MCW
Mt. Sinai (x2)
Norwalk
Seton Hall (x2)
St. Vincents
Stanford
Stony Brook
Thomas Jefferson (x3)
Univ of Chicago
Univ of Mich
Univ of Penn
UT Houston
UTSW
Univ of Wash

Anyone know how many applicants most programs interview per position?

Last edited:
Baylor
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
Dartmouth (x2)
Drexel (x3)
Duke
Emory
George Wash
Indiana
Johns Hopkins
Maryland (x2)
MCW
Mt. Sinai (x2)
Norwalk
Seton Hall (x2)
St. Vincents
Stanford
Stony Brook (x2)
Thomas Jefferson (x3)
Univ of Chicago
Univ of Mich
Univ of Penn
UT Houston
UTSW
Univ of Wash
Wake Forest

Last edited:
is hopkins a 2 year fellowship?
Taken directly from the Hopkins website:
"The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine offers a Sleep Medicine Fellowship Program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. The current program has evolved from clinical and research training programs in sleep medicine, which have trained numerous post-doctoral fellows in the past 30 years. The fellowship combines interdisciplinary clinical and research training activities, which are interwoven over a two-year period (one year clinical, one year research). The clinical training experience interweaves a series of longitudinal outpatient clinics with sleep specialty clinics that are incorporated into specific rotations. The program consists of four distinct areas of training:"

Updating...loving the thread activity. First interview next week, will post either delayed interview feedback or general interview feedback....should help us....and it looks like a lot of us are not competing geographically which is nice.

Baylor
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
Dartmouth (x2)
Drexel (x3)
Duke
Emory
George Wash
Indiana
Johns Hopkins
Maryland (x2)
MCW
Mt. Sinai (x2)
Norwalk
Seton Hall (x2)
St. Vincents
Stanford
Stony Brook (x2)
Thomas Jefferson (x3)
UCLA
Univ of Chicago
Univ of Mich
Univ of Penn
USC
UT Houston
UTSW
Univ of Wash
Wake Forest

..and it looks like a lot of us are not competing geographically which is nice.

I hope that everyone finds a place that is a 'fit' for them. I have worked in a few different settings and the "fit" means alot on how much you get to enjoy your life outside of work. I took a 25% paycut to switch jobs and was much happier. The fit was better and the environment was better so I didn't miss the money. Hopefully everyone is successful in matching with the best situation for them.

Anyone out there applying this year for a sleep medicine fellowship. I am applying to programs in the midwest around chicago. I can't apply far away due to family constraints to the area.

No interviews offered yet but it has only been 1 business day.

New here -

PCCM trained, applied a month ago.
Applied to East coast and few programs in Midwest. Received 10 interviews, 7 scheduled.

List update... Adding 3 Boston ones- Beth Israel, BU, and Tufts, plus Henry Ford and Yale. Some of these are from others that I have met while on interview trail.

Baylor
Beth Israel (Boston)
Boston Uni
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
Dartmouth (x2)
Drexel (x3)
Duke
Emory
George Wash
Henry Ford
Indiana
Johns Hopkins
Maryland (x2)
MCW
Mt. Sinai (x2)
Norwalk
Seton Hall (x2)
St. Vincents
Stanford
Stony Brook (x2)
Thomas Jefferson (x3)
Tufts
UCLA
Univ of Chicago
Univ of Mich
Univ of Penn
USC
UT Houston
UTSW
Univ of Wash
Wake Forest
Yale

Good luck on interviews!

Last edited:
Has anyone received an invitation to interview from Washington University in St. Louis?

Has any one got an interview from Temple University ?

I spoke to Boston University today and their committee will start sending interviews when their coordinator returns from vacation, likely to be next week or week after. Planning for two interview dates in September.
Has anyone else heard from any other programs in Boston?

I heard from Tufts

I am listing the people who have posted on here about applying. Any guests out there watching the thread but not posting. IF you want to send me a message I will add you as "guest" on the list. Just wondering how many people are following this thread. My first interview is coming up in a few weeks.

aoahead
CDI
imhappy:)
kevD786
loremon
mango tree
nomorelaziness
Peachykeen22
pulmonarydoc
Rahsharon
schlieren
Sleepas2ndcareer
sleepforall123
xenia warrior

Anyone else i have missed or has just been watching and not posting. We are likely about 8% of the applicants for the positions this year! Good luck all.

anyone know what's going on with the NYU program btw/ or have gotten interviews yet? I heard there were a lot of changes.

Has anyone heard from Northwestern or know what's going on there? I actually haven't heard from any of the Chicago programs - maybe geographical problem...

So far done a few interviews - pretty boring interviews, generic questions, faculty that haven't read my app clearly, and poor organization of the day. That's my reflection when comparing this cycle to the residency interview days. I'm ready to be done.

Not impressed. Sad!

NoMore and KevD: I would recommend you email the programs you are inquiring about and find out their status on interviews. I have done that with a few. I just ask if they have sent out interview requests and to inquire about my status with the program. I also found it interesting that both Michigan and Stanford are both on Probation for sleep medicine match violations.