Sleep Medicine Exam Without Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMDoc607

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading online that you are eligible to take the the ABIM exam if you finish an ACGME residency in internal medicine and are ABIM certified. I have been contemplating taking the exam as I see it as a good addition to my skills. However, I find it hard to believe that people are able to take an exam and pass it when some physicians spend a year in a sleep medicine fellowship. I understand that some people have a passion for sleep. I do not. I look at it as an additional skill to learn in a tight job market for most specialties.

If this is in fact true, does anyone recommend a review course? I have never even looked at a sleep study but I find it being very applicable to my specialty. It also doesn't hurt that its something a hiring group might find attractive in an applicant.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You need to complete a fellowship now to be eligible to take the exam. Grandfathering is over with.

I am sorry I misread their website. Thank you for the information. Honestly, its better that someone does a fellowship.

I have a question regarding Addiction Psychiatry Fellowship . Some people say that you can take Addiction fellowship Board, if you have certain amount of hours in Addiction practice during your psychiatry training and after passing psychiatry board, you can take Addiction psychiatry board without going for addiction psychiatry fellowship training for one year extra year.