sleep and study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charlie

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
On average, how many hours of sleep do med students get and how long do they study?

Thanks,
Charlie

Members don't see this ad.

Based on my intervews of every medical student in the country they sleep 5.438 hours per night and study 5.78865 hours a day. However DO students study 10.988 hours a day to compensate for their lack of functioning brain matter which leads them to post questions and topics such as this one.

You have to understand DOGBOY.
He's the kid who went to his prom with his mom.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sleep about 6 hour a day. It is enough for me and I can function for the day.

I'm a 2nd year med student and can say I average about 7.5 hours of sleep a night and study about 2 hrs a day. However, I study more on weekends and less during the week. Especially now that I'm studying for boards (that 2 hrs/day is an average for the first 2 years for me - currently I'm studying about 4 hrs a night during weekdays)

As long as you keep up, you really don't have to kill yourself studying.

That's just me, others may study/sleep more or less...

Jen

JenM,
That's not that bad at all. I spend over an hour a day studying and I attend a small public high school.

Charlie,
You should worry about college first before you worry about medical school. Heck, you may not even get in or change your mind.

VM,
You're right about focusing on undergrad. I'm just curious about what I'll be in for when I get to med school.

Charlie

[This message has been edited by Charlie (edited May 11, 1999).]

Charlie,

That's the spirit! I'd encourage you to keep asking questions no matter where you are in your education. I think it was probably during high school that I first started seriously considering a career in medicine. Good luck to you!

Scott

Charlie,
I did not mean to sound so gruff about your question last time. I just meant that you should focus on college, and enjoy those years. They may be the best years of your life. They were for me. Don't get too caught up with the pre-med syndrome as they call it. Just major in what you like, and work hard to keep up the grades and prepare for the MCAT if you still want to be a doctor. I just knew many people in high school that said they wanted to be doctors, but found another career love sometime between high school and college graduation. You will have plenty of time to find out about medical school and what it will be like when you are in college. Work hard, but enjoy college and have some fun.

Thanks for all the support everyone!
VM,
I kinda made it sound like I was overlooking undergrad, but I'm really looking forward to college.
Good luck to all. Stick it out for a few more weeks cause summers almost here.
Thanks again!

Charlie

[This message has been edited by Charlie (edited May 12, 1999).]