Sketchy/Picmonic Path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

berenstein

°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! Does anyone have any experience with Sketchy path and/or Picmonic path? Should I check these out or should I stick with the tried and tested Pathoma?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there! Does anyone have any experience with Sketchy path and/or Picmonic path? Should I check these out or should I stick with the tried and tested Pathoma?

I love SketchyMicro/Pharm. However, when I took a look at SketchyPath, I really didn't like it. With path, I feel like it's really hard to get the big idea with Sketchy. The pictures are really busy and some of the easy concepts that would be much quicker to learn "normally" would take forever trying to figure out what they were trying to say in Sketchy.

IMO, stick to Sketchy for micro/pharm. Try and be selective with Picmonic. Those pictures don't stick in my head as good as Sketchy and I always get them mixed up (especially all the damn storage diseases). The less you use Picmonic, the better Picmonic will serve you in the end with the stuff you absolutely could not remember without it (if that makes sense).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I love SketchyMicro/Pharm. However, when I took a look at SketchyPath, I really didn't like it. With path, I feel like it's really hard to get the big idea with Sketchy. The pictures are really busy and some of the easy concepts that would be much quicker to learn "normally" would take forever trying to figure out what they were trying to say in Sketchy.

IMO, stick to Sketchy for micro/pharm. Try and be selective with Picmonic. Those pictures don't stick in my head as good as Sketchy and I always get them mixed up (especially all the damn storage diseases). The less you use Picmonic, the better Picmonic will serve you in the end with the stuff you absolutely could not remember without it (if that makes sense).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Nice! Thank you!
thx.gif
thx.gif

Last edited:
Agree that sketchy path is a disaster. I tried the cardio section and I quickly noticed it wasn't worth it. The big problem is they are trying to go about it the sketchy pharm way where they smash multiple things into one image including all the physiology related to it. It's like trying to grab all the gram positive in sketchy micro and make it all into a single image.

I think Picmonic is okay, but usually takes a lot of passes to get it down without mixing other images into it. I would go with the above advice and limit it to the absolute can't remember stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree that sketchy path is a disaster. I tried the cardio section and I quickly noticed it wasn't worth it. The big problem is they are trying to go about it the sketchy pharm way where they smash multiple things into one image including all the physiology related to it. It's like trying to grab all the gram positive in sketchy micro and make it all into a single image.

I think Picmonic is okay, but usually takes a lot of passes to get it down without mixing other images into it. I would go with the above advice and limit it to the absolute can't remember stuff.

Thanks! Yup I guess they need to space out all the related physio into separate "episodes" and then have this path "finale" vid where they connect it all with memory hook images like with the Shigatoxin-producing EColi happy meal toy in the EColi vid.

I definitely recommend the kidney stone videos for sketchy path though, those things are a nightmare to remember

This is a bummer to hear. Sketchy Micro was life for Step 1 and I actually really liked most of Sketchy Pharm as well. I'd thought about buying Sketchy Path as a refresher for post-boards-4th-year when I want to keep my brain going but won't be motivated study hardcore, but it sounds like that's not a great option.

This is a bummer to hear. Sketchy Micro was life for Step 1 and I actually really liked most of Sketchy Pharm as well. I'd thought about buying Sketchy Path as a refresher for post-boards-4th-year when I want to keep my brain going but won't be motivated study hardcore, but it sounds like that's not a great option.
I kept watching it because I paid. I'd say the cardio section is the one that sucks most. Pulm and Renal are below average for sketchy standards, but overall not terrible.

SketchyMicro/Pharm/AND Path are the only reasons why I'm scoring well on UWorld. I take Step 1 in March 2018 and the only reason why I'm confident is because of Sketchy. The whole "memory palaces" learning device just works for me. I watch a video twice, maybe three times, and it just sticks. I like SketchyPath as a way to "bring Pathoma to life" and so far, so good. Hands down the best resource IMO.

A friend of mine took the boards and his year only had access to sketchy resp, cardio, and renal. He said he hurt by wasting his time watching all those complex lengthy videos. He would much rather have used that extra time studying pathoma. I tried sketchy path and hated it. It was a vomit of a million things going on that made no sense. They also do no stick months later (unlike simple short micro vids)

I disagree with many of the above, I really like sketchy path! I do agree that the scenes are too crowded to really memorize all those tiny details, but with Path its really more about understanding whats happening than memorization like micro or pharm.

So while I can't picture the sketchypath scenes in my head the way i can for micro, I think the way they explain the pathology concisely has really helped me learn it. Every single UW question I have missed if I go back to that sketchy path video its in there (helps a lot with disease associations!!)

Reactions: 1 users