Simple J1 question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MatyasKiraly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been reading through these threads and amidst the confusion I haven't really clarified my situation. It's pretty simple.

1. I'm in a US internal medicine residency, Canadian citizen, on an H1B for residency.
2. My plan is to apply to a cardiology fellowship
3. My preferences would be #1 to do cardiology on an H1B in the US #2 to do cardiology on a J1 in the US #3 to do cardiology in Canada

As far as I understand, #1 is possible but there aren't that many programs that accomodate this

I'm confused about #2 - would I be eligible for a SON from Canada? From reading some threads here the answer seems like no, but that seems too ridiculous to believe.

#3 also confuses me, as internal medicine is 4 years in Canada and 3 in the US, but many in Canada who do IM use their fourth year as the first year of their fellowship.

Also, another quick question, when is the earliest one can take MCCQE II? I'm taking it in case I ever find myself having to go to Canada, but again unclear if I can take it as a PGY1...

Members don't see this ad.

Internal medicine is not 4 years in Canada. It is 3. Most residents will choose to do a sub-specialty after 3 years of residency. Very few will choose not to participate in the Match and hence default into a 4th year, when they are essentially training to do general internal medicine. As for how early you can take MCCQE II, they have recently changed the rules so that you can take the test as a PGY-1.

Internal medicine is not 4 years in Canada. It is 3. Most residents will choose to do a sub-specialty after 3 years of residency. Very few will choose not to participate in the Match and hence default into a 4th year, when they are essentially training to do general internal medicine. As for how early you can take MCCQE II, they have recently changed the rules so that you can take the test as a PGY-1.
Really? I thought internal med was 4 years in Canada, creating all sort of problem if you just did general internal medicine in US and want to practice in Canada. Even the J1 SON page states that IM residents are either required to do 1 year fellowship, or 1 year chief resident in order to practice in Canada.