Signing leases and waitlists--please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zinc14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I posted this in another forum...

According to AACOMAS traffic guidelines:
"Starting April 1, osteopathic medical colleges report to AACOMAS the names and identification of candidates who have paid a deposit, hold a position at an osteopathic medical college entering class or both. After May 15, AACOMAS reports to each institution the names and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institutions. An osteopathic medical college may rescind an offer of admissions to a candidate who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions. If the osteopathic medical college chooses to withdraw the candidate from the entering class, the college must give the candidate a minimum 15-day notice. After the 15-day notice, if the candidate does not respond and is withdrawn from a college, the deposit is forfeited and the seat may be given to another candidate. Therefore, prior to May 15, applicants need to withdraw from any college(s) which they do not plan to attend and only hold a position at one college of osteopathic medicine to avoid having positions withdrawn."

So, it would seem that you should hear something from the other 2 schools sometime in May... possibly

From what I've heard about the NYC housing market it's pretty standard to sign a lease right before you move in (versus a month or more before), so I would definitely say wait and see. Most of the folks I know who moved to NYC found an apartment, handed over a check, and moved in within a matter of days. Waiting won't put you behind schedule for housing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You have 2 options:

1) find some roommates (or not), sign a lease, and then break the lease and lose your deposit when you get off the waitlist. If you found roommates, you'll force them to find a new roommate or a new place.

2) wait until the last minute to search for a place and move in. Finding a place to live in NYC is not hard, there are a million apartments. However, finding the right apartment, and going through the paperwork/credit checks/etc is terrible.

You have 2 options:

1) find some roommates (or not), sign a lease, and then break the lease and lose your deposit when you get off the waitlist. If you found roommates, you'll force them to find a new roommate or a new place.

2) wait until the last minute to search for a place and move in. Finding a place to live in NYC is not hard, there are a million apartments. However, finding the right apartment, and going through the paperwork/credit checks/etc is terrible.

A ****ing men. It's literally terrible.

You have 2 options:

From what I've heard about the NYC housing market it's pretty standard to sign a lease right before you move in (versus a month or more before), so I would definitely say wait and see. Most of the folks I know who moved to NYC found an apartment, handed over a check, and moved in within a matter of days. Waiting won't put you behind schedule for housing.

thanks for the reply and info guys!! I am leaning toward waiting.. although it might be unlikely to get off the waitlists, I think I will be in a deep hole if I get everything ready in terms of housing in NYC and then have to break the lease, lose deposits/fees, screw over my roommates, and have the deal with the legal/financial obligations.

So does this sound okay?: I keep waiting for possibility to be taken off the waitlist. In mid/end of July, I start looking for a place to move in in NYC and hopefully find one with 8/1 move in date. Touro orientation starts 7/24 so I will sleep on couches/live in hotels for at least a week until I have officially heard back from waitlist schools and have found a place to live. I will move in on 8/1. What do you think? Does it sound too risky to go forward with this plan? I won't be left with no place or a super crappy or super expensive place to live, right? Sorry for all the questions--I am freaking out a little.......

I posted this in another forum...

According to AACOMAS traffic guidelines:
"Starting April 1, osteopathic medical colleges report to AACOMAS the names and identification of candidates who have paid a deposit, hold a position at an osteopathic medical college entering class or both. After May 15, AACOMAS reports to each institution the names and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institutions. An osteopathic medical college may rescind an offer of admissions to a candidate who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions. If the osteopathic medical college chooses to withdraw the candidate from the entering class, the college must give the candidate a minimum 15-day notice. After the 15-day notice, if the candidate does not respond and is withdrawn from a college, the deposit is forfeited and the seat may be given to another candidate. Therefore, prior to May 15, applicants need to withdraw from any college(s) which they do not plan to attend and only hold a position at one college of osteopathic medicine to avoid having positions withdrawn."

So, it would seem that you should hear something from the other 2 schools sometime in May... possibly

Thanks for posting! I have seen this before but I don't think it applies to waitlists. I know for a fact that the two places I've been waitlisted accept students all the way up until the start of classes... of course, I would hope I won't need to wait that long to get an acceptance or rejection... :(

Thanks for posting! I have seen this before but I don't think it applies to waitlists. I know for a fact that the two places I've been waitlisted accept students all the way up until the start of classes... of course, I would hope I won't need to wait that long to get an acceptance or rejection... :(
I understand that it doesn't apply to waitlists. However, because of this new policy, people are now required to drop any seat that they do not plan on taking by May 15. This policy opens up the waitlist for medical schools much sooner than prior years.