Sick days in residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcdior

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what's the deal with these?

one program I interviewed at the resident said their department "encourages" them to use at least one of these per month for "emotional well being", can it really be this good?

are sick days just additional vacation days?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that's the case with most programs. Most of us avoid taking sick days if we can. The thing is, just because you're sick doesn't mean your patients and your work disappears. If you're sick, it means someone else has to cover you and do your work for you. Then you pay them back when you come back to work.

Reactions: 3 users

one program I interviewed at the resident said their department "encourages" them to use at least one of these per month for "emotional well being", can it really be this good?

highly specialty and program dependent, assuming this is an actual unicorn and not just a lie

Sick days are NOT just additional vacation days. I don't suggest using sick days to EVER extend your other types of leave unless there is a culture of doing so at your program. ("Sick" day people take before Step 3 like at my program)

The rules between them and personal days are very different typically. Emotional wellness days to my knowledge are a different category as well.

Sick days can be added to leave like paternity leave, or other FMLA leave, usually, and are paid. Sick days are usually subject to program approval and may have stipulations like you getting a provider's note to return to work Some programs don't bother. Approval would obviously be retroactive in some cases of sudden illness and missing work.

Sick days can be used in advance for say, say an elective chole surg. It can be scheduled and known in advance, but you might need more than two days off in a row in the month to do it! And you can't be expected to put it off forever, you're suffering and could have an actual emergency if don't do it before residency's end, or sooner, lol. No one would really blame you taking off for this although if you are able to coordinate program needs with your own, great.

This would be different than needed time for routine health maintenance like some dental and medical appointments. The expectation is typically to use your time off and that using sick days here wouldn't make sense, but it's been known to happen. It is highly program dependent the culture around sick days.

These wouldn't necessarily be personal days, although often if you have something going on in life and need more than what sick days can give you, personal days may often be used as well. After what sick days and personal days can give you, things tend to be either FMLA (not eligible for legally until after 1 year of employment, some states have some version of these laws that can kick in sooner. Many programs might still use these forms when you request leave, and some may use the FMLA laws as their operating standard while you're in your intern year, although in that case it would be by choice of the program, not by law)

Some boards (I think this is ACGME rules actually) make it clear that vacation days and the pay from them, can be used to supplement sick leave, if the reason for the leave is medical the vacation days can't be "used up" this way.

Meaning, say you have to take 2 mo LOA and your sick leave and personal days amount to 10 days paid leave, we can add in your 4 weeks vacation pay and the rest of the leave could be approved by the program as unpaid. You still get your weeks off for the year, even though you'll have to make up that LOA time and extend your grad date. That vacation time is sacrosanct from your medical leave except financially.

Personal days, when not used to supplement other types of leave, can be more or less regulated. Often there are "professional development days," type personal days, that are paid, and are specifically for boards like Step 3, attending professional conferences, presenting posters. Often this is the case, although it's possible to take a personal day to attend a medical appt you can't schedule for a better time, or a host of things you might need a day for.

Some programs/employer, the personal day can be used however you wish, with no reason given, provided you follow whatever rules are in place about notice and coverage in getting these days.

Other programs where you have to give a reason as part of your approval, you sort of have to cough up a reason the culture of your program thinks is OK. Sometimes your LDR-cuz-couples-match-sucks SO finally can make it to town and you want an extra day, and that flies. My program was cool with this because the request for coverage was made to the program and someone volunteered when it wouldn't be a work hours violation to fill in for them. Some would be OK using this day for dental work.

days for "emotional well -being" - I would treat these similar to sick days, honestly. I would make them medical in nature.

if you are getting monthly emotional well-being days - I would use them tighter than I would personal days. while I'm all for HIPAA, I think on a personal moral ethical level if I wouldn't feel like a good person and or like my own reason is one I would respect coming from a colleague for ducking out of work for one day, I wouldn't use one

ie "emotional well being" - I just really needed to sleep in after having one too many last night!

vs

"I needed dental work and it was the only decent opening for 3 months"
"my cat needed to go to vet, she was puking the last 3 days, I was really worried"
"I needed to see my psychiatrist, not that I'd tell anyone that was what I did"
"I finally got that urethral discharge looked at, man that was starting to chafe!"
"OK yes, I needed it to sleep, but dangerous stuff was starting to happen, I totaled the side of my car this week, got a needlestick, ordered a 1000 U insulin that pharmacy caught, and fell asleep at the wheel for just a second! No I have not been drinking!"

I don't think personal days should be used willy nilly either. Professional reasons.

I think being a professional applies 24/7 except for talking too much about sex and your personal life in an anonymous forum.

TLDR
Before I get slammed for thinking I know it all,
I will say that it seems to be no secret that I am familiar with illness and residency
all of the above I learned reading my own contract, working with HR and PD directly around every single one of the types of leave I just discussed, sick days, vacation, personal days, unpaid leave, employee wellness, and leave that was program-approved but was not FMLA covered, so I learned about FMLA. I will say I had a chance to get more familiar with ADA law as well. I also researched a lot on SDN

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
TLDR:
Don't abuse any days off, work ethic is one of your most highly prized attributes
Don't lie
Use your days according to all the rules in the the rulebook
Give as much notice as you can
Be highly mindful of your program's culture for what's OK
If I took an employee wellness day off once a month, my happy ass would be at a medical appointment or ill, ill with fatigue, even if that doesn't get its own sick day
If I "worked" this system, maybe for a wedding, study for a day before Step 3, big deal errands I couldn't put off or find time for elsewhere

Reactions: 1 user

Definitely depends on your specialty and the culture at your hospital. In my case, if you're sick but able to work, you're expected to be at work.

Regardless, if you call in sick, you owe a shift to whoever covered for you.

Reactions: 2 users
LOL...

I would say that "encouraged" was a bit of oversell, regardless of the program and speciality. I mean, I'm a pretty generous employer but I don't go around telling my staff to take sick days for their monthly emotional health.

At any rate, like others have said above, its very program dependent. We were made to sell ours back, so no sick days in our schedule were allowed, just the planned vacations. You definitely don't use them unless you are really sick, as in need to be hospitalized but again that's going to be program dependent.

Residency is one of the few occupations that operate on the assumption that their human beings do not fall ill. Again, no other occupation out there has such poor infrastructure in place to ensure that work remains somewhat smooth in the unlikely event that someone is feeling unwell. Instead, they are considered weak if they dont turn up for work and spread the virus to all the critically ill and immunocompressed patients.

Reactions: 5 users
Residency is one of the few occupations that operate on the assumption that their human beings do not fall ill. Again, no other occupation out there has such poor infrastructure in place to ensure that work remains somewhat smooth in the unlikely event that someone is feeling unwell. Instead, they are considered weak if they dont turn up for work and spread the virus to all the critically ill and immunocompressed patients.

But there are plenty of places that won't pay you if you call in sick, leading them to come in when they aren't feeling well and spreading viruses. This is especially true in the food service industry.

Our residents do get sick leave and will use it--but they tend to use it sparingly for occasions when they know they can't function, or they have worked with their Chief to schedule some type of elective procedure that requires them to be out. They feel (hyper) responsible to their team and know what kind of day their friends/colleagues will have if they call in. The Golden Rule of Sick Leave, so to speak. However, I could imagine another scenario in which some residents start calling in sick regularly, making team members work harder and increasing resentment so more residents feel like they need to call in sick to make things fair. That's a bad downward spiral.

Totally depends on culture of your specialty and hospital. I'm in psych and we get a very generous number of sick days each year that roll over. We also get personal days that are separate and vacation days that are separate still. The world does not fall apart when we use any of them, including sick days. Don't use them on your call days unless you truly can't get yourself out of bed, but otherwise, it's not a big deal as long as you don't make it a weekly habit. My program treats us like humans, which is nice.

Reactions: 4 users
Totally depends on culture of your specialty and hospital. I'm in psych and we get a very generous number of sick days each year that roll over. We also get personal days that are separate and vacation days that are separate still. The world does not fall apart when we use any of them, including sick days. Don't use them on your call days unless you truly can't get yourself out of bed, but otherwise, it's not a big deal as long as you don't make it a weekly habit. My program treats us like humans, which is nice.

I completely agree with this. I use sick days when I need them and the hospital has not ceased to exist, nor have any of my colleagues suffered irreparable harm, nor has anyone been in such dire distress when I've called in sick that it was unsurmountable. I have covered for numerous colleagues when they have called in sick, or when they have gone home or to "doctor appts" as well. It's life. if someone gets punished for having sick days and using them that program leaves much to be desired. we are human beings at the end of the day.

Agreed. Keep in mind that some residents don't care what happens to the team or what they "leave behind". Which sucks, but most people end up dealing with a few of those people and make due.

Agreed. Keep in mind that some residents don't care what happens to the team or what they "leave behind". Which sucks, but most people end up dealing with a few of those people and make due.

Yeah, we had a resident who was "that guy" who managed to use every damn sick day available to him. It did NOT endear him to his co-residents or the attendings. ...and to be quite honest it hurt his reputation to the extent that he was criticized for other things that were a little unfair later on.

Reactions: 3 users
Taking a sick day for anything less than a major illness is a sign of weakness IMO. Some fields may be a bit soft, but surgeons need to be on their game and capable of performing under stressful or less than ideal situations. Do you think the legends like Debakey took a sick day when not feeling well? If you want to be considered bad ass and get respect, you have to show dedication and perseverance. We would start IVs on each other if needed to get through the day rather than burden a colleague with extra work. Sure, if you need to be hospitalized or something, take sick time, but taking off for the sniffles or minor illness is just advertising to your program that you aren't committed to the job. Wear a mask if you are working with immunocompromised patients and get your work done.

Taking a sick day for anything less than a major illness is a sign of weakness IMO. Some fields may be a bit soft, but surgeons need to be on their game and capable of performing under stressful or less than ideal situations. Do you think the legends like Debakey took a sick day when not feeling well? If you want to be considered bad ass and get respect, you have to show dedication and perseverance. We would start IVs on each other if needed to get through the day rather than burden a colleague with extra work. Sure, if you need to be hospitalized or something, take sick time, but taking off for the sniffles or minor illness is just advertising to your program that you aren't committed to the job. Wear a mask if you are working with immunocompromised patients and get your work done.
this is pure gold

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You can't go all-in for your very first post like this. Gotta spread around some more reasonable posts first. You know, make it seem like you're a normal human. If this is your act I, then what will you do for act II when you address resident work hour restrictions?

Sick days are for the weak. Don't be a puss.

totally, gotta show up while you're still raw and walking funny from your rape if you want the respect of your peers

when everyone asks what happened to your face, just say you fell down some stairs

#staystrong

totally, gotta show up while you're still raw and walking funny from your rape if you want the respect of your peers

when everyone asks what happened to your face, just say you fell down some stairs

#staystrong

Can't recall a single time this has happened to me
or anyone I know

You can't go all-in for your very first post like this. Gotta spread around some more reasonable posts first. You know, make it seem like you're a normal human. If this is your act I, then what will you do for act II when you address resident work hour restrictions?

Misterioso was a legend from awhile back.....

#staystrong

You also gotta act like you liked it, of course. And that it's good for you. And that it's ok bc this is the way it's always been.

As others have mentioned it's going to be very specialty and program dependent. My program in practice allows us to pretty much pool our sick days and vacation days, so if people have problems like killer migraines or something that they need to take many sick days for that's considered fine and they'll just have it cut in to their vacation days. Vice versa as well, we're allowed and encouraged to use our full vacation days including the extra sick days as vacation days, I suppose they probably just prefer us to use all of our days through the usual vacation policy of giving 3 months notice, being able to schedule you out of clinic, and not have it be on a busy rotation that way, but then come end of year if you come down truly sick you may be out of luck or risk possibly having to cancel your upcoming vacation if your needing to stay home because of vomiting or something.

In 3 years of EM residency I took 2 sick days the entire residency. I came in both days and tried to work, but was sent home by my program director for nasty looking case of pink eye (since I was tearing infectious material everywhere and it couldn't simply be covered up to protect patients (like a mask for most URI's). All other times they let me come in sick. Only time I would consider not coming in would be if you had something that you could be hospitalized for.