Showcasing talents/hobbies via video

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ichorbaron

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, a friend of mine had a interview unrelated to medicine and was stumped by the "what do you do in your free time?" question. That got me thinking about how I could showcase my hobby instead of just saying it.

I'm proud of the time I put into learning classical guitar. It kept me sane through my rough undergrad years.

I was thinking about creating my own youtube channel and playing various classical songs.

Could I link youtube to applications? I'll apply to an SMP program next year and I think I could use it then.

I feel like this is the one medically unrelated talent that I am passionate about and is a good example of showing rather than telling.

Members don't see this ad.

Why stop there? Just bring your guitar to the interview.

In all seriousness though, I doubt it. Unless a school specifically states they allow/encourage media, I wouldn't even consider it. And I doubt any school's app process allows for that. I would imagine inserting a URL into a med school app is a quick way to get pegged as unprofessional, even though the times are a changin'. You're being evaluated by a med school admissions committee, not middle management at Google or some casting agent.

If you really want to showcase your talent, make an audio recording on your phone and if (but only IF) the vibe of the interview/enthusiasm of the interviewer dictate so, you could ask them if they want to hear you play. Even that's a long shot though, so yeah.

TLDR: Spend some time figuring out how to write about your passion instead of attempting some sort of revolutionary method of applying to schools. Good luck!

^Agreed. Maybe just mention it and why you enjoy it, what benefit it gives you (calm, centering, relaxing, etc.), but I wouldn't go out of your way to make a big deal out of a hobbies question. If they encouraged media, I'd almost be more inclined to do something towards your service or something as opposed to your down time. Though that is a cool down time and I definitely get how learning and practicing guitar can get you through rough times, personal or school life. Not diminishing its significance at all:) But you don't want the biggest standout about you to be that you play guitar, no matter how well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback, I'll probably make a youtube channel for fun and if the tone is right show it.

I just think it's kind of weak how one guy I know claimed he could play piano, cello, and violin during his interview (which was a flat out lie). I'm not saying that playing an instrument was the deciding factor in his acceptance. I'm just saying it might be best to actually prove that it's actually your hobby.

Nonetheless I'll concentrate more on how to write about my hobby.

Do not do this.

This is medical school, not college.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the feedback, I'll probably make a youtube channel for fun and if the tone is right show it.

I just think it's kind of weak how one guy I know claimed he could play piano, cello, and violin during his interview (which was a flat out lie). I'm not saying that playing an instrument was the deciding factor in his acceptance. I'm just saying it might be best to actually prove that it's actually your hobby.

Nonetheless I'll concentrate more on how to write about my hobby.

I wouldn't link the YouTube channel. What you can do (like you said) is to find details about actually doing the things you love that nobody else would know unless they themselves did them too and write about them. For example you could write about small details that make the timbre of a guitar sound better, like holding the strings a certain way, or even strumming a certain way. (I'm no guitar player but you get the idea.) it would almost seem to me like you're trying to sell yourself if you used a URL in your app. If you're good enough at expressing your unique characteristics through writing you don't need to "sell" yourself as your candidacy will naturally stand out.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile