Should we be worried about the number of Podiatry applications being down this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was just looking through the APMA site and saw this: ( Unmatched Students Seeking Residencies, Fellowships | News | APMA Working for You | APMA )
Those 4 students were not placed in a residency during this year's match (out of the other 50 or so). But, what's even more shocking (to me) is the dude in number 4, Issa. Look at his CV! And, I'm here thinking why..how..how come he didn't match? One possible reason might be that he didn't apply to enough places or only applied to "top/ivy league" type..but who knows!

"My name is Magdy Issa, MB., ChB., MS, and I am an unmatched 2017 graduate from Midwestern University Arizona School of Podiatric Medicine. I am seeking a preceptor position or a position in the foot and ankle industry to enhance my podiatry learning experience. I have a strong teaching background, participated in research, have held leadership positions, and received many scholarships. Despite having to work part time (and sometimes full time) while in podiatry school, I was able to obtain a 3.81 GPA and rank fifth in my class. I am a motivated and caring person, and I work hard to achieve my goals"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, this is very scary. I wonder what on earth happened why someone like him wouldn't match?! So there were 50 something people who didn't match this year, or does the 50 include people from previous years? This student still didn't match even after the scramble? Very disconcerting.

I was just looking through the APMA site and saw this: ( Unmatched Students Seeking Residencies, Fellowships | News | APMA Working for You | APMA )
Those 4 students were not placed in a residency during this year's match (out of the other 50 or so). But, what's even more shocking (to me) is the dude in number 4, Issa. Look at his CV! And, I'm here thinking why..how..how come he didn't match? One possible reason might be that he didn't apply to enough places or only applied to "top/ivy league" type..but who knows!

"My name is Magdy Issa, MB., ChB., MS, and I am an unmatched 2017 graduate from Midwestern University Arizona School of Podiatric Medicine. I am seeking a preceptor position or a position in the foot and ankle industry to enhance my podiatry learning experience. I have a strong teaching background, participated in research, have held leadership positions, and received many scholarships. Despite having to work part time (and sometimes full time) while in podiatry school, I was able to obtain a 3.81 GPA and rank fifth in my class. I am a motivated and caring person, and I work hard to achieve my goals"

Last edited:
We heard about this guy on our interview.

Apparently the story is he applied to 2 programs, and the director of one of the programs said that they would hire him if they got more funding. The student took that as they are going to be accepted, so he stopped applying places. The residency ended up not getting any more funds, and he ended up not getting in. This course of action was advised against by the Dean of the school, who urged him to apply to 12 programs at least. AZPOD otherwise would have had 100% placement last year.

So yeah, residency is like any other job, gotta have a bird in the hand before you start making plans, not just a verbal confirmation that there is a bird in the bush that you could probably get.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You don't know how relieved this explanation made me. I mean, I feel sorry for him, but looking at his CV, he's an academic beast and will most likely place at some point in the future provided he learned how to play this game correctly.

We heard about this guy on our interview.

Apparently the story is he applied to 2 programs, and the director of one of the programs said that they would hire him if they got more funding. The student took that as they are going to be accepted, so he stopped applying places. The residency ended up not getting any more funds, and he ended up not getting in. This course of action was advised against by the Dean of the school, who urged him to apply to 12 programs at least. AZPOD otherwise would have had 100% placement last year.

So yeah, residency is like any other job, gotta have a bird in the hand before you start making plans, not just a verbal confirmation that there is a bird in the bush that you could probably get.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought there was some sort of a "scramble" similar to MD programs in podiatry where unmatch grads apply again for spots. Is this the case, or is it like trying to find a new job all over again?

You don't know how relieved this explanation made me. I mean, I feel sorry for him, but looking at his CV, he's an academic beast and will most likely place at some point in the future provided he learned how to play this game correctly.

I thought there was some sort of a "scramble" similar to MD programs in podiatry where unmatch grads apply again for spots. Is this the case, or is it like trying to find a new job all over again?
There is a "scramble" called match part 2. It pretty much happens right after match part 1, so I believe it's already done for this cycle.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile