Should I switch from retail to independent while I look for a hospital job; recruiter insight?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chem Blade

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a new grad who is getting licensed very soon. Used to intern at a hospital and a retail; the retail offered me a position and the hospital let me go. Bummed out because of that, but I plan on applying to hospitals till I get in. In the meantime, should I stick with the retail, or is it okay if I switch to an independent for less stress? Does one or the other look better on a CV?

Also can I get some insight on getting a hospital job via a recruiter/headhunter? Good idea? Bad idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Solid question. You are applying for a hospital job, they likely will not differentiate an experience of retail over independent.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck getting into a hospital. These days, even if its staff, they will require a residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck getting into a hospital. These days, even if its staff, they will require a residency.

Not an issue if you're willing to relocate, have connections etc.

I am not a fan of recruiters for most circumstances - if you have an area of interest - just start googling hospitals in the area, and you can find the openings. It is not like there are secret jobs listings only recruiters have access to. Many hospitals, including mine, refuse to work with recruiters, even during the RPh shortage - we have no reason to pay someone to bring us candidates, we have plenty of applicants for positions already.

There are a few instances where recruiters/ head hunters might be beneficial, and that is if you are in a very specialized area that is also in demand and don't have a geographic requirements (ex. You want to do pediatric oncology, but don't care what city - you don't want to spend3 weeks googling every hospital in every metro area).

As far as which job looks best on a CV - it doesn't matter - retail is retail - you can get jobs without a residency, but it will vary a LOT based on geography.