Should i retake the OAT??

mjlm11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I took the OAT today and I'm not sure if I should retake or not.
GPA: 3.19
Experience: worked as an optometric technician for over a year, facilitated a support group for a low vision clinic, pre-health professions society member, etc.

OAT:
QR: 320
Reading comp: 340
BIO: 300
GCHEM: 310
OCHEM: 290
PHYSICS: 280
TS: 290
AA: 310

Obviously physics and orgo killed me :( but i really want to apply this cycle! should i submit my app and scores and hope for the best or should i schedule a retake??
I'm applying to NECO, NOVA, UPike, SCO, alabama-birmingham and maybe one more..do you think I have a shot?

thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Your physics and o Chem are low as is your TS. Your AA is above the 300 most schools want. I would recommend you ask the specific school if your scores would be competitive because it really does matter what others are scoring.
I would say start studying because more than likely the schools will want a higher TS. what did you prepare with for your first oat?

Okay so I took the OAT today and I'm not sure if I should retake or not.
GPA: 3.19
Experience: worked as an optometric technician for over a year, facilitated a support group for a low vision clinic, pre-health professions society member, etc.

OAT:
QR: 320
Reading comp: 340
BIO: 300
GCHEM: 310
OCHEM: 290
PHYSICS: 280
TS: 290
AA: 310

Obviously physics and orgo killed me :( but i really want to apply this cycle! should i submit my app and scores and hope for the best or should i schedule a retake??
I'm applying to NECO, NOVA, UPike, SCO, alabama-birmingham and maybe one more..do you think I have a shot?

thank you!!

Hi, I was just course as to what you decided to do in the end. I've heard from some people that you shouldn't be discourage to apply. The OAT scores that schools list are just averages, which means that they do take scores lower and higher than what is listed. In my opinion, I don't think it hurts to apply if you don't want to retake it. You never know what will happen if you don't try :)

Hi, I was just course as to what you decided to do in the end. I've heard from some people that you shouldn't be discourage to apply. The OAT scores that schools list are just averages, which means that they do take scores lower and higher than what is listed. In my opinion, I don't think it hurts to apply if you don't want to retake it. You never know what will happen if you don't try :)
Hey! I decided to just go ahead and apply. One of the OD's I work for always says "don't reject yourself, let them reject you". And that proved to be pretty good advice since I was offered an interview to Salus and NECO a week after submitting my app and was accepted to Salus last week! I'm waiting to here back from NECO before I make a decision but I'm going to optometry school!!! :)

Reactions: 1 user