Should I reapply to a school that I interviewed at last cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NeuroLil1817

Hi everyone!

I'm new to SDN and wanted to get opinions on my situation.

I applied last cycle with written materials that were not "typical" -- I've been told they were well written in a narrative fashion but not informative enough as to what I did and what I learned. I have gotten this feedback from 6 schools and have been encouraged to re-apply.

To avoid re-applying with the exact same application, I've added more patient contact, a new leadership position at my job, more shadowing, and more clinical volunteering in an underserved area. I also started a new research position studying health disparities in my community which is where I will spend my gap year. I have 3 new letters of recommendation. My numbers were already okay (515 balanced MCAT, 3.7 GPA). I've worked with my pre-med advisor to make a broad list of 20+ schools where I will be a first-time applicant.

So my question is in regards to the few places where I will be a reapplicant. My only interview last cycle was at a Top 10 school and I am trying to decide if I should reapply there. After my interview day, it became one of my top choices due to multiple factors. Unfortunately, I was not accepted.

Is it a waste of time to re-apply somewhere where I interviewed and was rejected?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It is definitely worth reapplying to the school where you interviewed since they obviously found something in your application that appealed to them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! I agree with the post above

Yes! I agree with the post above

I got interviews at 2 schools to which I reapplied and got into both. Definitely a good idea to do so. Make sure you have a solid answer to "why didn't you get in before" and "what is different now." I got asked those for sure. Also keep in mind that the school you interviews at have a real reason why you didn't get you. You need to be self reflective and honest with yourself so that your answer to those questions addresses why the schools initially didn't take you and shows growth in those areas specifically.

I got interviews at 2 schools to which I reapplied and got into both. Definitely a good idea to do so. Make sure you have a solid answer to "why didn't you get in before" and "what is different now." I got asked those for sure. Also keep in mind that the school you interviews at have a real reason why you didn't get you. You need to be self reflective and honest with yourself so that your answer to those questions addresses why the schools initially didn't take you and shows growth in those areas specifically.

Thanks! I am nervous about reapplying because, like you said, there is a reason why I was not accepted. I am also worried because this school is in the Top 10 and I was already below their average accepted student. I will probably reapply though because I do have genuine answers to the questions you listed.

Thanks! I am nervous about reapplying because, like you said, there is a reason why I was not accepted. I am also worried because this school is in the Top 10 and I was already below their average accepted student. I will probably reapply though because I do have genuine answers to the questions you listed.

If you're going to reapply, do it day 1. Don't wait to hear back from your school

What us the reason you think you didn't get in?

If you're going to reapply, do it day 1. Don't wait to hear back from your school

What us the reason you think you didn't get in?

I have been told multiple times that admissions committees did not get a sense of "why medicine" from my writing. I focused on irrelevant details and did not fully develop these ideas, I tend to be more subtle than direct and assume that people can infer what I mean. I think I received the interview because my secondary was very well written and revealed a lot about myself that my primary lacked. Obviously there's always more that can be added to an application, but I think this was a major red flag.

This time around I discussed how my 2 years in a paid clinical position, volunteering within my community, and my research interests led me to medicine. I also mentioned the experiences from my childhood that sparked my interest in the field (I spent a lot of time in the clinical setting from ~8-15). I discussed how my experiences abroad prepared me for medicine more clearly and also added more clinical volunteering with the patient population that I plan to work with in my career (urban, underserved) and a teaching/leadership position. Hopefully things go better this time, I've gotten a lot of feedback on my writing, which I did not do last year, and have more patient contact hours.

I have been told multiple times that admissions committees did not get a sense of "why medicine" from my writing. I focused on irrelevant details and did not fully develop these ideas, I tend to be more subtle than direct and assume that people can infer what I mean. I think I received the interview because my secondary was very well written and revealed a lot about myself that my primary lacked. Obviously there's always more that can be added to an application, but I think this was a major red flag.

This time around I discussed how my 2 years in a paid clinical position, volunteering within my community, and my research interests led me to medicine. I also mentioned the experiences from my childhood that sparked my interest in the field (I spent a lot of time in the clinical setting from ~8-15). I discussed how my experiences abroad prepared me for medicine more clearly and also added more clinical volunteering with the patient population that I plan to work with in my career (urban, underserved) and a teaching/leadership position. Hopefully things go better this time, I've gotten a lot of feedback on my writing, which I did not do last year, and have more patient contact hours.

Be careful about discussing experience abroad. Some applicants write about ethically questionable experiences or overly idealistic experiences. I've seen it multiple times with med students and it can be a big red flag.

Be careful about discussing experience abroad. Some applicants write about ethically questionable experiences or overly idealistic experiences. I've seen it multiple times with med students and it can be a big red flag.

Ok thanks! It wasn't a clinical experience -- I took college courses abroad through my university and discussed how my first time out of the US broadened my cultural awareness and improved my adaptability.

Do you have any suggestions on how to make a school list as a re-applicant? I was advised to apply to as many new schools as possible since there has only been one year between my apps. I think my LizzyM is 71, should I be aiming for schools at or below this score?

Do you have any suggestions on how to make a school list as a re-applicant? I was advised to apply to as many new schools as possible since there has only been one year between my apps. I think my LizzyM is 71, should I be aiming for schools at or below this score?
A good first step is find every school with a lizzy m score around and below yours and pretty much apply to all of those unless you have a good reason not to. Anything above that score make sure you have a good reason to apply to those ie you really like the program, you fit their mission, you have close ties, they are in your state/region etc. I don't know enough about schools anymore to give great advice on this so take it with a grain of salt