Should I reapply or wait another year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Novious

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm sure you guys are tired of hearing these kinds of questions, but I'm kind of lost here so any help is appreciated.

Some background:

Texas resident, I applied late in the 2015-2016 cycle (around late August of 2015) secondaries even later (September)
Applied only in Texas schools

Took MCAT in July score:506
Graduated in 2015
GPA: 3.8 sciGPA:~3.8 as well
I had volunteered at a local hospital around 150 hours
2 years volunteered in a lab at university (no publications)
No shadowing experience
I was fortunate enough to get interviews at 2 schools one pretty early in October. But did terrible at the interviews. It was my first time ever interviewing and got a pretty intense guy which was unfortunate cause I was pretty nervous going in.

Got wait listed at both schools interviewed, but as you can guess I didn't get in.

Took a year off was bummed out/ burnt out. Traveled a bit in South America.
I was going to reapply but I didn't want to go through the whole ordeal again plus I had a family member die so I wasn't in the right mind set to even try.

I eventually started a free tutoring program at my church for college students and children

Took a Spanish course in community college

So fast forward to now.

I have a research position in translational research, possible publication (fingers crossed)

Have about 80 hrs of shadowing (shadowed 3 different specialties)

Have been volunteering at a Hospice about 30 hrs (including the training)

2 New letters of Rec

Was able to get some interview training specific for medical schools (if only I had done this earlier! I know I wouldn't be posting here lol)

Have my application basically ready to go at this point to submit by May 1st, but I'm hesitant because my MCAT score.

I was going to retake in May but working full time at my lab has been getting in the way and I decided to push it back to July. I'm not sure if I should submit my app then update the score. Would taking my MCAT this late be ok and will I even get looked at if I say I will update the score later?

I really don't know if 4 points higher will make such a difference in my application to get the magic number of 510. I personally don't want to wait another year because I feel like I've improved on everyone of my other weaknesses.

Sorry to Lebron James you guys, but "What should I do?"

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First off I think you have the ability to tell an interesting sorry about yourself and could have a killer personal statement. Your GPA is a high point of your application as well. I would say that your MCAT seems low but not lethally so. Additionally, I think you could improve by adding more clinical exposure and volunteering (from the rest of your app volunteering in a Spanish speaking free clinic would be perfect in my opinion). Average Texas stats Chance of Success

I think with an additionally year you could improve your MCAT, add a publication or two, and gain a broader perspective within medicine. If you were able to do all of these things you would be a very strong candidate and likely meet with success. If you are concerned about prestige of your medical school or set on staying within Texas I would recommend this.

Although applying this year seems like a coin flip and expensive, it does not seem to me to be unreasonable or rash. If you choose to apply this year definitely apply broadly and to more than just Texas schools. You are a strong candidate to most every DO school but don't apply to any school unless you would be willing to attend it. If you want to get into a medical school as soon as possible, this would be the choice I would make.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys for the advise. I still have a few questions though:

1) I will have been out of under graduate for 3 years if I decide to wait retake the MCAT, will that affect how schools will look at me?
2)Say I was to retake the MCAT by July and I feel ready etc. would that score be too late to apply with? (I know its a hypothetical)

Thanks again!

1) No.
2) You can apply to one reach school just to get your application verified. Then add schools if your MCAT goes well. If you search around you can see what others have tried. Generally though it is a little late.

Last edited:
Good to know I was worried about my length out of school.
Looking at the chart you so kindly provided I have a 50/50 shot, better than most things in life I guess :)

I think I will take some time to decide and I'll keep you guys updated.

Reactions: 1 user