Should I go to a foreign medical school? HELP ASAP!

redence

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright my junior year of high school has come to an end and I am leaning towards on becoming a doctor, specifically a psychiatrist. I have around a 3.5-3.6 gpa. On the other hand, something I really need to improve is my ACT score. I recently took the ACT my first time and I scored a 23 :( . I still have time to improve my ACT score by senior year. My parents think I'm a failure as a result of this low ACT score, and they're planning on sending me to a foreign medical school/college. (My parents somewhat have high expectations for me, they're Indian). They don't believe I'll survive an American college while doing pre-med. They don't believe I'll pass the MCAT and I'll end up wasting my time in college. My parents are planning to send me to foreign medical school after high school, which I think combines premed with medical school, and I won't have to take electives. I don't know how it works, but I'm not really interested going to a foreign medical school. My life would be different. It would be hard for me to get used to the place and make friends.

My plans are however: Go to a SUNY college, major in Nursing (as a safety net, if I don't get into med school) while doing premed. And hopefully I do good in college and on the MCAT'S and get into med school. I'd rather have a life as an American college student.

I'm mostly against going to a foreign college or med school, but should I listen to my parents? Or should I do premed in a SUNY college in the U.S while majoring in Nursing.

I still could improve my low ACT score, I have a little over 2 months during this summer to study for it. I've taken some AP's and honors classes, played a varsity sport, many volunteering hours, and traveled to a diff. country to help build a pharmacy in an orphanage (twice).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you intend to practice in the US, go to a US medical school.
Don't major in Nursing unless you want to be a nurse.
Show your parents the outcomes in the only NRMP evaluation of country-specific outcomes for the Match: NRMP and ECFMG Publish Charting Outcomes in the Match for International Medical Graduates - ECFMG News
Of the many US IMG's who attended medical school in India, only 60 matched into their preferred specialty. 139 did not. We'll never know how never made it to interviews and were thus not included in the survey.
The outlook has only gotten worse since 2013. I can only imagine what it will be like when you would be ready to graduate. Dozens of new US medical schools have opened since then and residency positions are relatively stagnant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
As someone not too much older than you, let me tell you something.

The ACT and your high school grades don't mean much. College is a completely different beast. I excelled in high school and ended up barely scraping by with a "B" average after freshman year of college.

Also, I took the ACT 5 times (not because my first couple of scores weren't good, but because I was a perfectionist and had pressure from my parents to hit the 100th percentile ). You just finished junior year, so you have so many more opportunities to take the ACT and improve. You also get to choose what score you send to colleges, so take it as many times as you need.

Relax man, you'll be just fine. Don't go out of the country if you plan on practicing here in the US.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a few Indian friends with parents who set high standards so I can understand your situation.

Right now you need to direct your focus on your ACT while you still have a few opportunities left to take it before applying to colleges.
Here was my strategy (albeit it rushed): Start with my weakest section; break it down into little chunks of 5 minutes for 5 questions at first, then 15 for 15 etc. I'd make sure I was scoring accurately enough within the time limit before upgrading to the next tier of time limit/questions. Soon I was just taking full tests of that section over and over again until I was scoring consistently in the range I needed.

But to do it successfully you need to literally lock yourself in the basement or room for the whole day with nothing but a timer, practice tests, and pencil.

The ACT is all about repetition, repetition, and knowing how to pace yourself.
The SAT is more of an aptitude/IQ test with the reality being that you realistically can't expect to score a near-perfect if you're not near mensa level. That's why I like the ACT more; it's about your work ethic more than your talents.

What do you have trouble on specifically?

Don't do the foreign med school. It will be a nightmare. I got accepted to medical school and I had a 3.6 GPA and a 25 ACT in HS. It's all about how bad you want it. I did better in college and got a good MCAT score also. A lot of people find college easier than HS in some ways. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello,

I just graduated high school and I'm going to college this fall. I was in a similar situation with a pretty low ACT score. However, you have time to improve it and if it isn't a 34+ it's still okay. Don't worry too much about your score.

I understand parent expectations, but I would say not major in Nursing if you want to become a doctor and attending a foreign medical school if you want to practice in the US. It may not be the best idea. High school is very different from college, I know your parents probably put pressure on you, but in all honestly you can't really predict how successful a person will be based on their test scores and projecting it 6 years later.

If you are determined to get into med school and work hard in college that's what really matters. Good luck!

Gonna be completely honest, it doesn't sound like your parents are giving you great advice right now. Maybe offer them a compromise, if you don't do well enough in US UG then go to foreign med school? But your parents' plan for the future just is prioritizing fast results over security and your intellectual freedom.

Gonna be completely honest, it doesn't sound like your parents are giving you great advice right now. Maybe offer them a compromise, if you don't do well enough in US UG then go to foreign med school? But your parents' plan for the future just is prioritizing fast results over security and your intellectual freedom.
So the parents will like the idea of risking hard-earned money on UG if they don't feel confident? OP going against their wishes means loss of financial support which is far more of a detriment than wanting fast results and security.

If you would like a plan to fall back on, you should look into becoming a Physician's Assistant (PA) if you don't get into medical school. I am now a senior in high school, and my plan is to do pre-med and try my hardest to get into medical school, but if I don't get in I'll become a PA or a Pathologist's Assistant. Both of these careers require a masters degree. Based on what I have seen, it's not really a good idea to major in nursing if you plan on going to medical school. Med schools will recognize what you are doing. I think that the smoothest transition from medicine to "nursing" is to become a Physician's Assistant. (keep in mind that PAs perform similar tasks but are not actually nurses)

PA school is more difficult to get into than you would expect, and once you graduate you will essentially preform similar tasks and duties as a Nurse Practitioner (NP). There are some differences, the biggest being that as a PA you practice under the supervision of a Physician. Different schools have different prerequisite requirements, however all will expect a good foundation of medical experience. This could include being a Nursing Assistant, an EMT, a Phlebotomist, and many other introductory medical jobs. Columbia has a good list of jobs to gain experience, as well as other information here: Applying to Physician Assistant Programs | Columbia Postbac Premed Depending on how your undergrad years go, you may need to take a gap year to gain more experience if you do pursue this path. If this interests you, I would suggest doing some volunteer work in a hospital to get a feel of what it is like to be a NP/PA. Volunteering has really helped me to see the differences between being a physician and being a nurse.

There are other jobs you can look into if you don't want to become a PA, but one that has interested me is becoming a Pathologist's Assistant. I'm not really sure why this is different PA school, as I believe that PAs can specialize, but there are separate masters programs to becoming a Pathologist's Assistant. This may not be a career that you are as interested in, so I will not dwell on, but here is some more information if you would like to learn more.
https://explorehealthcareers.org/career/allied-health-professions/pathologists-assistant/
What is a Pathologists' Assistant? - American Association of Pathologists' Assistants (AAPA)

If you have any questions about anything that I have said, feel free to message me. I am obviously be no means an expert, but it seems like we (in the case of wanting a back up plan) are in similar situations. Also, I agree with everyone above; unless you want to practice in a foreign country, its much safer to attend a US med school.

Reactions: 1 users
I had such a similar situation when I was in HS.The only difference was that my parents never pressured me to pursue medicine. I was not the brightest in HS and didn't get the best grades at all. High school is not a sure predictor of success in a university, grit and tenacity are. I am middle eastern but lived in the US all my life and I found out how I can go back to the specific country and get my md in 5 years! They love accepting US students there as well. AND everything would be taught in english. Sure it was appetizing at first but I'm so happy I didn't take the available way out. Just stick your nose down in college and do the dirty work and you will be able to accomplish what u need to accomplish. My cousin who is a year older than me decided to do the foreign program in the middle eastern country and now he is in deep trouble. He will have such a hard time getting a residency in the U.S. Shoot, even carribean students will be higher on the todum pole! And if he does eventually land a residency it will be a lower tier one.

Please message me if you want to discuss this further. At the end of the day do what you feel is right. Furthermore do NOT pursue medicine bc your parents want you to. It has to be a burning passion of yours.

Goodluck with everything.

Alright my junior year of high school has come to an end and I am leaning towards on becoming a doctor, specifically a psychiatrist. I have around a 3.5-3.6 gpa. On the other hand, something I really need to improve is my ACT score. I recently took the ACT my first time and I scored a 23 :( . I still have time to improve my ACT score by senior year. My parents think I'm a failure as a result of this low ACT score, and they're planning on sending me to a foreign medical school/college. (My parents somewhat have high expectations for me, they're Indian). They don't believe I'll survive an American college while doing pre-med. They don't believe I'll pass the MCAT and I'll end up wasting my time in college. My parents are planning to send me to foreign medical school after high school, which I think combines premed with medical school, and I won't have to take electives. I don't know how it works, but I'm not really interested going to a foreign medical school. My life would be different. It would be hard for me to get used to the place and make friends.

My plans are however: Go to a SUNY college, major in Nursing (as a safety net, if I don't get into med school) while doing premed. And hopefully I do good in college and on the MCAT'S and get into med school. I'd rather have a life as an American college student.

I'm mostly against going to a foreign college or med school, but should I listen to my parents? Or should I do premed in a SUNY college in the U.S while majoring in Nursing.

I still could improve my low ACT score, I have a little over 2 months during this summer to study for it. I've taken some AP's and honors classes, played a varsity sport, many volunteering hours, and traveled to a diff. country to help build a pharmacy in an orphanage (twice).

Alright young one strap in. First off the ACT doesn't matter. As long as you get into a reputable university and don't go to community college you'll be fine. I got a 23 on the ACT and have a 4.0 in college as a senior. Secondly you're a ways away from having to worry about the MCAT or anything. My biggest piece of advice, take AP physics, chemistry, and biology. Use Khan Academy videos if you have bad teachers and learn as much as possible. When you get college these AP classes will put you ahead of the game. Study hard, never neglect something you read on a PowerPoint, don't doubt yourself, and get A's. You'll be fine but you will have to sacrifice a social life. Major in anything you want.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Show your parents the ECFMG match tables for India- if they send you and you end up anywhere that isn't named Aga Khan, your chances of matching and becoming a doctor are less than one in three.

If you would like a plan to fall back on, you should look into becoming a Physician's Assistant (PA) if you don't get into medical school. I am now a senior in high school, and my plan is to do pre-med and try my hardest to get into medical school, but if I don't get in I'll become a PA or a Pathologist's Assistant. Both of these careers require a masters degree. Based on what I have seen, it's not really a good idea to major in nursing if you plan on going to medical school. Med schools will recognize what you are doing. I think that the smoothest transition from medicine to "nursing" is to become a Physician's Assistant. (keep in mind that PAs perform similar tasks but are not actually nurses)

PA school is more difficult to get into than you would expect, and once you graduate you will essentially preform similar tasks and duties as a Nurse Practitioner (NP). There are some differences, the biggest being that as a PA you practice under the supervision of a Physician. Different schools have different prerequisite requirements, however all will expect a good foundation of medical experience. This could include being a Nursing Assistant, an EMT, a Phlebotomist, and many other introductory medical jobs. Columbia has a good list of jobs to gain experience, as well as other information here: Applying to Physician Assistant Programs | Columbia Postbac Premed Depending on how your undergrad years go, you may need to take a gap year to gain more experience if you do pursue this path. If this interests you, I would suggest doing some volunteer work in a hospital to get a feel of what it is like to be a NP/PA. Volunteering has really helped me to see the differences between being a physician and being a nurse.

There are other jobs you can look into if you don't want to become a PA, but one that has interested me is becoming a Pathologist's Assistant. I'm not really sure why this is different PA school, as I believe that PAs can specialize, but there are separate masters programs to becoming a Pathologist's Assistant. This may not be a career that you are as interested in, so I will not dwell on, but here is some more information if you would like to learn more.
https://explorehealthcareers.org/career/allied-health-professions/pathologists-assistant/
What is a Pathologists' Assistant? - American Association of Pathologists' Assistants (AAPA)

If you have any questions about anything that I have said, feel free to message me. I am obviously be no means an expert, but it seems like we (in the case of wanting a back up plan) are in similar situations. Also, I agree with everyone above; unless you want to practice in a foreign country, its much safer to attend a US med school.
Or if you really want to do psych, become a psych NP. They can clear 150-200k in some markets, or 120-130k just about anywhere.

Feels like your parents are pretty controlling...I'd have a very frank conversation with them about your interests, 'cause it doesn't really sound like you know what you want to do. Remember, it's your life, not your parents'.