Should I follow my instincts & become a doctor?

R2ski2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Well this is the classic should-I-be-a-doctor question.

To sum it up:
-I'm 16 years old (junior)
-I've mostly always wanted to work in the medical field, though my dream job has varied (veterinarian, doctor, surgeon, etc)
-I've always been interested in human anatomy and trying to figure out why my friend's leg hurts or my dad's knee hurts, etc.
-I like helping people
-4.0 GPA, all honors classes, and I can handle academic stress very well
-I'm intuitive, introverted but great at public speaking, talking with people and discussing feelings

To elaborate:
I've always been a "scholarly" person, meaning I'm always hungry for more knowledge no matter the topic. Although, my ears perk up in class if we talk about medicine. I just become even more interested if it's about human anatomy/medicine.
In history, we could research about any topic about WWI, and for some reason, I was drawn to the advanced surgical techniques they used in the war (I spent waayyy more time than was necessary on this research paper, lol).
When I was a freshman (I'm a Junior in HS now), I checked out a book about the medical field and being a doctor, because I was so curious and want(ed) to be one. But a few days later, I returned it because I felt ashamed and embarassed, thinking that it was weird that I was researching my career at 15 yrs old.

So if you made it this far, should I be a doctor?

I'm just worried about the debt I'd have and the amount of hours I'd work. I'm not worried if I can do it or not, I have plenty of determination and can do anything I put my mind to. I'm just concerned for the mental/emotional toll that working 60-80 hrs/week would have on me.

If you read all of this, thanks so much for even reading! I don't have anyone to talk to about this, my parents don't give a **** about me, they only care about my older brother. I would be extremely grateful if you left a comment!

Members don't see this ad.

Shadow doctors and ask about their lifestyles. This is the only way for you to make a personal decision about lifestyle questions.

Reactions: 1 users
You are definitely academically capable, which is obviously necessary when studying to become a physician. If you have any friends whose parents are doctors, you can ask questions about the lifestyle. Also, some specialties are less demanding than others; for example, a career in surgery would most likely be more stressful/demanding than a career in psychiatry. You can do some research on how demanding the specialties you are interested in are. There are a lot of "Day in the Life of a _______" articles out there that can be useful to gain personal insight.

Don't feel embarrassed about researching career options and using your resources, especially SDN. If you do pursue medicine (or really any heath care related field), it will be very useful. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
First off: Don't be ashamed about having an interest in something! There are a lot of people out there who will shame you or otherwise disapprove of you and the things you do or like. You shouldn't be part of that number, given you aren't partaking in detrimental activities, and given others don't have probably cause or evidence to back up their claims.

You have the potential to be a doctor. Point of fact, you have the potential to pursue many careers at this point. If you continue your academic trend (and even if you have a few hiccups), you'll get into the undergraduate university you want to attend given your application will be as solid as your grades.

I second shadowing some doctors to get more exposure to the field, but don't limit yourself to just clinical medicine. There might be hidden gems in the workforce that fit your interests more than an MD. Perhaps you would also be interested research as well. You'll have opportunities to look into that further when you are in undergrad, but that is just one example. Basically, pursue your interest in being a doctor, but keep your heart open for other options at this point. You are on the right path.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you sm for all of your replies and suggestions! I'll definitely take them into consideration. There are so many careers and pathways out there, I can't wait to see where my passions will take me!

Reactions: 1 user