Should I even bother applying MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slinquii

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2nd cycle reapplicant, Florida resident, only wanting Florida schools. I applied already to NOVA and LECOM. I would love to be accepted to ANY Florida school but I'm unsure if it's a waste of my time to apply MD with my MCAT of 502.

I have 3.7 sGPA and 3.8 cGPA
MCAT 502
6 years of full time work as a licensed practical nurse (so thousands of clinical hours)
40 hours shadowing a DO

Due to life circumstances I can't retake the MCAT until the end of this year (too late to get better score for this cycle).

Should I even bother applying MD? I would love to go to Morsani college of medicine in Tampa.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Did you have any interviews or wait list this past cycle? Where did you apply?
Yes, I applied at LECOM Bradenton last cycle and had an interview in November. I was rejected due to "poor interview skills" so that is something I've been trying to brush up on (group interview, stage fright, anxiety got the best of me)
I also applied to NOVA but didn't get an interview. I didn't apply until September last cycle due to taking a late MCAT (August).

Members don't see this ad :)
It is worth applying to your Florida MD schools so apply to all of them and include NOVA MD if it opens for 2018. Submit in June and complete all your secondaries by July.

If you could retake that MCAT and get a 509 or so you'd have a great shot at MD.

you definitely have a shot at MD w/ ur current stats! I would go for it!!!

you definitely have a shot at MD w/ ur current stats! I would go for it!!!

A 502 is equivalent of about a 27 on the old scale. That is not all that competitive for most MD schools.

In Florida, the mean matriculated student MCAT is 508.5. I would work on studying for the MCAT again and getting a better score before you reapply.

Reactions: 1 users
A 502 is equivalent of about a 27 on the old scale. That is not all that competitive for most MD schools.

In Florida, the mean matriculated student MCAT is 508.5. I would work on studying for the MCAT again and getting a better score before you reapply.

I would disagree with this poster and apply anyway. I don't know if it would really be feasible for you to retake the MCAT before applying if you want to apply this cycle. Whatever you do, make sure MD is your first choice before going to a DO school. I would say as is, there is a reasonable chance that you get into a MD program somewhere. Good luck.

I would disagree with this poster and apply anyway. I don't know if it would really be feasible for you to retake the MCAT before applying if you want to apply this cycle. Whatever you do, make sure MD is your first choice before going to a DO school. I would say as is, there is a reasonable chance that you get into a MD program somewhere. Good luck.

What has changed since the OPs last cycle. The GPA and MCAT are the same and the MCAT score is low for a MD acceptance. If the OP wants the best chance at an acceptance, they need to retake the MCAT which may mean applying next cycle instead of this one. The schools aren't going anywhere and becoming a repeat applicant again will only make it that much harder.

Reading one of your prior posts, you are a DO student who is disillusioned and wants to transfer to a MD school. You even said you didn't take the time to make a better application, so why are you advocating that the OP just go for it without making their best application?

Reactions: 2 users

Actually reading more, I see you are just a troll. Wonder if the banhammer is getting ready...

Reactions: 1 user
2nd cycle reapplicant, Florida resident, only wanting Florida schools. I applied already to NOVA and LECOM. I would love to be accepted to ANY Florida school but I'm unsure if it's a waste of my time to apply MD with my MCAT of 502.

I have 3.7 sGPA and 3.8 cGPA
MCAT 502
6 years of full time work as a licensed practical nurse (so thousands of clinical hours)
40 hours shadowing a DO

Due to life circumstances I can't retake the MCAT until the end of this year (too late to get better score for this cycle).

Should I even bother applying MD? I would love to go to Morsani college of medicine in Tampa.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks
The MCAT score is circling the drain for MD schools. You're fine for any DO school except AZCOM, the Coastal Touros, and maybe CCOM.