Should I do EMT-B? If so, how?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I'm a freshman in college doing pre-med at UGA and aiming for a reputable medical school. One of the major things I'd like to do is become an EMT-B during college. However, I'm not sure if it's worth it or how I should do it.
Here's my situation: I plan on creating a strong medical school-based resume. Good grades and MCAT are a given, research, shadowing, and volunteering are the other components to do. I found that being an EMT would be an interesting, worthwhile way to handle the medicine-related volunteering part of my resume.
I don't mind spending taking classes for it, but would prefer an option that is compatible with my school semester.
However, since it's only a single component of my resume, I don't want it to become too time consuming.
I was thinking I would do a quick course to get it over and done with fast and start working as an EMT around Athens or through the university if possible.
I really would like to do the course and become an EMT, but I don't want it to be such a commitment that my college career is controlled by it. I've heard great things online about people who are EMT's about how fulfilling it is and how much experience it gives.
If you do suggest I do it, how should I go about doing it? Are the 2-3 week courses advisable for what I'm aiming to do? I saw some options online, but have also heard they're usually gimmicks.
Thanks for any advice,
Joe

Members don't see this ad.

I am a huge advocate for EMS, especially a premed who plans to use the certification.
An EMS background can represent more than just one component. You can get involved with your agency as more than just a prehospital provider; being a preceptor will give you leadership, you can participate on QA/QI committees, protocol revision committees, scientific service committees, safety committees, provide community outreach such as hands-only CPR training, the list is endless. Not to mention the patient experience you will receive far exceeds that of taking blood pressures or admitting patients in a clinic.

I would avoid online courses unless your state recognizes it. You can determine this by contacting the Office of EMS.
If available at your local CC or university, take it there. You will kill the course making an 'A' and only boost a GPA. If you want to go the free route, make some phone calls to your local vol. agencies and see what ones have an upcoming course. Typically you have to commit to a year or two of volunteering.

Good luck!

Here is the route I am taking, not sure how things work in your area, but maybe this will help!

I joined a volunteer fire department here in Maryland, as a EMT only volunteer. You can do both EMT and fire if you so desire. I just don't have time to go to the fire academy after all the EMT classes. In Maryland you do some basic classes with your department then you can start working shifts as an "observer" basically you just help out on calls and on the ambulance. We are required to do one 12 hour shift a week. It good to get experience though. I will be taking the EMT course starting in January, through the county, so it doesn't cost anything to me. Its a nights and weekend course, so it works well alongside of school and other commitments. I would look into a volunteer fire department. That way they probably will pay of your classes and you actually get run 911 calls. Many people get EMT certs and stop there and either don't do anything with them or do patient transfers. The volunteer FD angle allows you to get 911 calls, more patients interaction and care, and transfer to the hospital (interaction with nurses, doctors, ect)

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting your EMT-B also opens you up for possible employment in an ED as an ER Tech. This can be a valuable pre-med experience as well with regards to patient interaction and interacting with physicians and nursing staff.

An EMT (in my opinion) would give you a significant advantage due to the fact you get so much patient interaction and clinical hours. If you worked (2) 12 hour shifts a week for say 3-4 years... by time your all said and done you would have (3,744-4,992) hours of patient interaction and clinical time. I think this is way over kill, but assuming you get started soon it's within reason to have a job. Depending on where you live, you may not even receive that many calls all together. I've done some runs with some of the paramedics in my area, and one day, we didn't get called out once. It's just a matter of what your going to do, plus an emergency medical service career is my back up plan. I think it covers 3 sides of your resume; emergency management and critical thinking are given, clinical hours, patient interaction) Emergency management ties into your capability and potential of becoming a great doctor. Of course, this is my opinion; but best of luck OP.

Hi!
I'm a freshman in college doing pre-med at UGA and aiming for a reputable medical school. One of the major things I'd like to do is become an EMT-B during college. However, I'm not sure if it's worth it or how I should do it.
Here's my situation: I plan on creating a strong medical school-based resume. Good grades and MCAT are a given, research, shadowing, and volunteering are the other components to do. I found that being an EMT would be an interesting, worthwhile way to handle the medicine-related volunteering part of my resume.
I don't mind spending taking classes for it, but would prefer an option that is compatible with my school semester.
However, since it's only a single component of my resume, I don't want it to become too time consuming.
I was thinking I would do a quick course to get it over and done with fast and start working as an EMT around Athens or through the university if possible.
I really would like to do the course and become an EMT, but I don't want it to be such a commitment that my college career is controlled by it. I've heard great things online about people who are EMT's about how fulfilling it is and how much experience it gives.
If you do suggest I do it, how should I go about doing it? Are the 2-3 week courses advisable for what I'm aiming to do? I saw some options online, but have also heard they're usually gimmicks.
Thanks for any advice,
Joe
First off, remove your name. SDN is meant to help you anonymously. There are many physicians, adcoms, etc that are on here so when you disclose your first name, school and potential activities, it says too much.

As far as EMT, there are a few threads already discussing EMT, so make sure to check those out. While EMT does provide good exposure, it doesn't necessarily provide the oomph to your resume that you may think. AdComs want to see that you've been exposed thoroughly to the clinical environment. If you are mainly doing rides and not in a clinical setting, then its a negative. Your exposure is not only about patient interaction, but about professional interaction and getting a feel for the health care environment. If you are pursuing EMT because you need a paying gig and want to kill two birds with one stone, then I also suggest maybe looking into Scribe work. Scribe America shows positions in Athens. You get paid and you also get some serious exposure since your job is to shadow clinicians, take histories, etc. In many ways, that can be better than EMT (unless you are an ER Tech).

It may be a good idea to take some time this semester to look into that as well as general clinical volunteering. Most programs are only 4-6 hour shifts once/week. It'll also help you think about the type of doc you want to become. I don't mean specialty, but rather, do you want to do rural medicine, academic medicine, etc. When you start looking at programs, you'll see that certain schools place emphasis on those things. A school that is heavy community-based will look at your hours volunteering at a soup kitchen or free clinic more than your research credits. That't not to say they'll dismiss them, but when they compare applicants, certain ECs will carry more weight.

So as far as EMT (sorry for the digression), if the cost, time of training and shift requirement don't preclude you from maintaining a strong GPA, and pursuing other, meaningful ECs , then go for it. However, also explore other options that may bare more fruit. Also, if you ultimately plan on taking a gap year, that may also be a perfect time to do the EMT. You'll have full-time hours, it can still be one of your application ECs, and it won't interfere with your course work. Good luck!