Should I do another fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masterslug

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening fellow SDN posters. This is my first time posting but I need advice.

I just completed a fellowship (my first) in transfusion medicine but have had no luck getting a job (been applying since February). I had a couple of interviews last month and am still waiting to hear back. My question is should I apply to another fellowship or just wait until I get a job offer? I am still applying for jobs so hopefully something works. If I should do another fellowship-how do I find an open position? how late is too late to start a new fellowship (August?)
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Oouch, whoever told you to do Transfusion medicine as a fellowship was insane. You need to give us more info as the poster above says.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks and I should have mentioned that previously. I am AP/CP board certified. Since finishing fellowship a couple of weeks ago, I am job hunting and studying for the transfusion medicine boards. I want to be in academic transfusion medicine but would consider private practice. I am now considering doing a fellowship in surgpath or cytopath but haven't contacted any programs with vacancies.
Right now , I am in limbo and not sure what my next move should be. I was hoping someone had a similar situation and could give me insight. If I do not get a job within the next year, I think doing a fellowship might look better than couch surfing.

My understanding is that the transfusion market has been pretty good, with a dearth of qualified applicants. Most are straight cp trained, and really, as ap/cp you are probably overqualified for most jobs. However, this may be changing now as the word has gotten out about the field.

I'd say to stick with it and expand your search. Hopefully something come up soon. If you picked this fellowship I can only imagine you have little interest in surgical pathology. If that's true, I'd probably avoid doing any such fellowships. You might want to consider discussing an instructor position with your current institution to hold you over till a job opens up.

Last edited:
My "source" is being an academic pathologist that has worked closely with clinical pathologists and transfusion medicine trainees and faculty for the past 7 years. There was a huge demand for tm just a few years ago. This demand has probably waned, but I have seen less than stellar trainees get good gigs because of it.

That's the last time I feed a troll today.

Last edited:
My "source" is being an academic pathologist that has worked closely with clinical pathologists and transfusion medicine trainees and faculty for the past 7 years. There was a huge demand for tm just a few years ago. This demand has probably waned, but I have seen less than stellar trainees get good gigs because of it.

That's the last time I feed a troll today.

It is 2017 now. It appears the job market still going strong! Any comment on that?