Should I do an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acciobutterbeer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
removed

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your GPA isn't the strongest ever, but it's high enough to where you won't get weeded out. There's nothing about your application that says you can't handle medical school, which is what an SMP is for. Also, if you haven't already started studying for your MCAT then that means you're probably 2 months minimum from being test ready, which means 3 months from schools getting your scores.

My advice: study hard, crush MCAT, apply next cycle. SMP is a waste of money for you.

You're a little on the low side for MD, but you're right on the money for DO. If you're dead set for MD, then you'd probably need some type of formal post-bacc or SMP to have a good chance.

On the flipside, if you're good with DO, just apply broadly (with a good MCAT) and also apply to your state MD schools.

I will be applying as a re-applicant. I worked for a couple of years after graduating--started in a big biotech company and moved to a startup.

My stats and ECs:
-3.48 cgpa, 3.41 sgpa (huge upward trend... freshman year was a 2.57 sgpa, soph 3.33, junior 3.56, senior 3.76, post grad classes 4.00)
-MCAT- 85th percentile (expired though, I need to retake)
-MA resident
-should have at least one first author publication, at least two other publications
-Over 500 hours clinical volunteering
-Chemistry and math tutor during college
-I am a leader in an athletic club
-Currently looking for non-medical volunteering; thinking of joining a program that helps homeless people gain independence and living skills through running and educational classes

I'm trying to decide if I should do an SMP or focus primarily on MCAT studying. I'm going to apply MD and DO.

Thank you for any advice!
So help me, if you do an SMP, with that great rising GPA trend, I will reach through the electrons and smack you upside the head!

Focus on the MCAT retake and your non-clinical volunteering.

U MA, Drexel/Albany class schools and DO schools will be your best bet. A 513+ on retake puts BU/Case class school in reach. There are a decent number of MD schools that reward reinvention. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users