Should I do a second Bachelors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futurecareerinmedicine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So I have a bachelors degree in Biology but I had a 2.34 cumulative gpa at my school. I am currently working as a scribe part-time. So I know my gpa is really low but I am working on developing more study habits and I am determined to keep working towards becoming a doctor eventually.

So I found out I was recently accepted to this molecular genetics technology program. Its a bachelors program that will take about two years to complete , consists of 75 credits, and leads to certification in Molecular Biology with ASCP and a degree in molecular genetics technology. I was planning to do this program while scribing part time but now I am having second thoughts about doing this program. Though it is an excellent program at a world renowned cancer center MD Anderson, It is also intense. I noticed that the curriculum consists of 75 hours total and each semester consists of at least 6-7 courses and all of them are either 3000 or 4000 level courses. I have heard that this program is intense and grueling but you do learn a lot. I am nervous because of the workload and I am not sure I will be able to handle it. Also, I am not sure if it makes any logical sense to do a second bachelors. I just dont want to throw myself into this program if im not ready for this. Its not very flexible as everyone takes at least 7 courses. I was going to use this as my DIY post bacc, but now im considering just doing a DIY Post bacc so I will have the flexibility to control how many science classes and make sure im not taking 7 in the beginning..that sounds a little intense to me. Though a lot of the students coming out of the program do get into Medical school. I feel like it is a risk, just like doing the SMP.

The thing about this program is they do teach you everything you need to know about genetics and they make sure that once you get out of the program, that is little to no training that has to be done. That is one thing I really like about it because I have been trained at a company before, I did not like the way they trained me and how most companies just get another employee to train me and do their own job...It puts too much pressure on me...and I did have some trouble in my last company but of the training, thats something I am really nervous about. I do realize that I could just get one year of biology lab experience and apply for the ASCP certification without this program, but then a company would still have to train me and there is room for error when you are being trained at a job. Most companies want you to be quick and fast learner and work in a fast paced environment. Anyone know anyone who did this program or have any suggestions or insight?

I am debating between doing this program or just doing a DIY Post bacc. I would be able to get a higher degree, opening up more job opportunities while also taking undergraduate courses to try to boost my gpa. So what option should I take to increase my gpa, and is it worth doing a two year second degree program?

This second degree program is more practical than a typical undergraduate degree where you would actually take classes at the hospital and do rotation there and possibly get hired by them. You could also interact with a lot of doctors and scientists, and also there is a possibility to do research. Considering my gpa and the chance that I got some clinical and research experience while also boosting my undergrad gpa, which option would you take?

Members don't see this ad.

When did you graduate with your first degree?

Have you read threads from DrMidLife?

My initial thought: You're not ready. You're GPA is appallingly low (and this is coming from someone with a sub 3 GPA) and you don't have the time/credits/chances to "...but I am working on developing more study habits..." Before you begin a redemption attempt, your study habits need to be down cold. Read the DrMidLife threads. Get scared about how much is at stake and then take ONE class. If you get anything less than an "A" for any reason, move on from medicine. If you get an "A" then develop a plan and take more classes. But at the moment, while working, it is not the time to try and be better student in a full time program.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Your mindset is wrong man. But you're a pre-med still so it's not your fault.

When thinking of med school, think numbers and think high numbers and think only of that. Don't fall for that crap about being well-rounded with EC's. They just tell you that to collect your app money. If you want to go to med school in this country, you needs numbers and then some EC's to make it seem like you genuinely care about and want to help people.

You already have a degree and that too with a low GPA. It's all uphill for you and honestly it might not be worth it for some people.

That molecular genetics program is a waste of time for the purpose of working towards getting into med school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When did you graduate with your first degree?

Have you read threads from DrMidLife?

My initial thought: You're not ready. You're GPA is appallingly low (and this is coming from someone with a sub 3 GPA) and you don't have the time/credits/chances to "...but I am working on developing more study habits..." Before you begin a redemption attempt, your study habits need to be down cold. Read the DrMidLife threads. Get scared about how much is at stake and then take ONE class. If you get anything less than an "A" for any reason, move on from medicine. If you get an "A" then develop a plan and take more classes. But at the moment, while working, it is not the time to try and be better student in a full time program.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I graduated in 2015. Yes I just looked up some of the threads by DrMidLife which were really helpful. I will start by taking 1 class at the local community college. Yes you are right regarding the study habits..I have a few techniques that I will try to see how that works for me. I strongly believe that the reason I did not do well in science classes the first time was because I was not putting in enough studying, I was underestimating the time I needed to study for each class.

Reactions: 1 user
Your mindset is wrong man. But you're a pre-med still so it's not your fault.

When thinking of med school, think numbers and think high numbers and think only of that. Don't fall for that crap about being well-rounded with EC's. They just tell you that to collect your app money. If you want to go to med school in this country, you needs numbers and then some EC's to make it seem like you genuinely care about and want to help people.

You already have a degree and that too with a low GPA. It's all uphill for you and honestly it might not be worth it for some people.

That molecular genetics program is a waste of time for the purpose of working towards getting into med school.
I have already declined the offer..I will focus more on DIY Post-Bacc. Thanks for the insight.

Reactions: 1 user