Should I Delay Graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badorthopun

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a recently unmatched Ortho applicant. I am trying to decide if I should extend my graduation another year so I can beef up my CV and reapply as a senior again. I plan on doing a research year during this time to do try to increase my chances of matching again.

My main question is: will it look bad to PDs if I reapply as a senior? I'm worried it will be a red flag for me to do another year when I don't really need it academically. On the other side, will PDs completely disregard my application if I am applying as a graduate instead of a senior? If that happens, is it a waste of time to do a research year if it won't actually help my application?

I have heard mixed things about this. Any advice would be incredibly helpful. Please help me out.

Members don't see this ad.

This is my first post on SDN in probably 5 years, but I'll take a stab that this. You kneed to know what part of your application was deficient:

1. If your step 1 scores were not good, and you have minimal research then it is an uphill battle likely requiring you spending an entire year or more at 1 program, showing them how awesome you are in person and that you are much better than just numbers while pumping out a ridiculous number of papers. In addition, you need to have a mentor who will write a letter saying, "Badorthopun is the best medical student I have worked with in the last 10 years". That is the sort of letter and phone call you need

2. If you step 1 scores were good, and you had minimal research, this shouldn't have been the only thing that hosed you as many match without publications.

3. If you had pretty bad 3rd year scores and a good step 1, then programs were unsure of your performance clinically. If that is the case, then staying on as a MS-5, and doing extended Sub-Internships at home and other places along with research will help these places to see your true clinical aptitude.

4. If you had good 3rd year scores, a good step 1, and good research, then it may have been your LORs that hosed you and that will be tough to fix because it means you asked someone to write a letter for you that you weren't absolutely sure would go to bat for you. Or even worse, you may have not had the insight to realize that you are better on paper than in person and a sub-internship may have hurt you. A situation like that requires taking time with a mentor who knows you and can talk to you plainly.

I'm not sure if you fall in one of these categories, but the only way to answer your question is for you to tell us what was your deficiency.

Reactions: 1 users