Should I change labs to something closer to my PhD interests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Applications to what? It sounds like you are already into med school, is that correct?

Going to another lab for different experience can be a good idea. It will open you up to other ways of research and let you explore to see if you really like the topics of machine learning or not.

Wait you're in a BS/MD already and you want to do an MSTP?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, getting some experience in machine learning sounds like a good idea. You are still young and getting as much experience as possible before "settling down" into a PhD lab is always something I recommend to undergrads. Switching labs at 1.5 years in does mean that you will miss out on some productive time and possible publication with your current lab. How is your current lab? Do you find it interesting? Does it look like you could publish something this year? A publication would look great on your MSTP application.

Another option is to talk to the PI and see if you could start a side project incorporating machine learning into the motor control research.

Reactions: 1 user
Does your lab use neuroimaging data at all? I know in neuroimaging research that multivoxel pattern analysis and machine learning techniques are all the rage right now.

Most of my undergrad research was in algae and nobody seemed to care. If you want to switch to diversify, go for it, but your current experience won't hold you back.

Reactions: 1 user
Nope, neuroscience. I have no experience in it but nobody on the interview trail seemed to really care.