Program-Specific Info / Q's Should I bother applying to UNC Chapel Hill?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcatcar

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm applying this cycle and am interested in UNC Chapel Hill. It seems very competitive especially for out of state students. I'm definitely applying to Le Moyne College, Ithaca College, WUSTL (master's) and TWU (all 3 campuses). Here are my stats. If anyone has applied and been accepted/denied/etc or have any advice, please let me know!

Psychology, public health minor
3.6ish, around 3.8 for pre-req
GRE: 160V, 149Q, 4.5 W

Shadowing:
30 hand therapy
20 school
20 outpatient rehab
10 SNF
20 outpatient community clinic
Considering doing around 30 at the VA hospital near me.

Experience
- 1:1 aide working directly with OT, PT, and SP in an early intervention group
- DSP for adults with disabilities
- babysitter for child with autism and his 2 siblings
- Research assistant at the VA hospital
-

Extra Currics
- philanthropy coordinator for my sorority
- elementary school volunteer
- Dean's team- give freshman tours/help them their first semester to get adjusted

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there! I applied to UNC last cycle and was denied and I am in-state student. I was accepted to East Carolina University, Lenoir Rhyne University, and Winston Salem State. These are my stats just for reference:

Major: Exercise Science
Concentration: Health and Wellness
Minor: Psychology
Cumulative GPA: 3.968
Prereq GPA: 4.0
GRE: 153 V, 152 Q, 5.0 W

Volunteer/Observation Hours: 100 in outpatient, school system, and geriatrics/pain management

Extra curricular: Sorority member, student worker for Registrar's office for 3 years, student worker for campus engagement for 2 years, SGA senator for Psychology Honor Society, Order of Omega Honor Society member, Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society member, National Society of Leadership and Success member, Junior Marshal for 2015-2016, volunteer for Special Olympics, scholarship winner for 3 organizations, Panhellenic Delegate for sorority, on two committees for sorority

I know of people who got into the program right out of graduation but in my opinion its less likely. You have a better GRE verbal score than me and more experience so those would both help you out. I would say apply because honestly why not? Their fee was $85 if I remember so that's not a huge kicker. The worst part for me was the extra activity you have to do "out of your comfort zone" and the number of essays they require. But if you work ahead of time then you should have no problem. Good luck!