Should I bother applying this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

12glaucoma34

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been reading SDN for a while and usually can find answer with search, but nothing close to my circumstances.

About six weeks ago, I completed a four week ophthalmology rotation and it was awesome. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do it, but definitely liked it a lot. The more I think about it, the more I like it. Anyways, here is my question? Is it too late to apply or should I bother based on the information to follow:

DO student with COMLEX Level 1 and Level 2 both between 750 and 800. Similarly, my class rank and GPA match the quality of my COMLEX. Honors in every third year rotation. USMLE Step 1, didn't take. Given the lateness of my decision to possibly pursue this as a career option, I don't have time to set up additional rotations before the SF match in January so all I could do I apply with what I have done to this point.

Here are some other details, I really like another specialty (no reason to name specifically) and I'm undecided about which I like better. I'm just running out of time....I wish there was more time between required 3rd year rotations and decision time if y'll know what I mean. I feel like I'd be equally happy in either at this point. The unique thing about ophthalmology is the SF match being in January is I could go unmatched and still do the match in March for the other specialty I like. It doesn't seem that expensive to apply to the SF match and see what happens, but if I have no shot I don't want to do it. I was thinking maybe apply to 10-20 ophthalmology programs and hope for the best ($200-300).

Any insight from those with actual perspective into this field is greatly appreciated. No input needed from premeds. And yes, I know, if I wanted to do ophthalmology I should have taken USMLE. The USMLE ship has sailed, but you can still mention it if it makes you sleep better tonight. Also, any specific programs who might consider my application would be helpful.

Gracious

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Been reading SDN for a while and usually can find answer with search, but nothing close to my circumstances.

About six weeks ago, I completed a four week ophthalmology rotation and it was awesome. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do it, but definitely liked it a lot. The more I think about it, the more I like it. Anyways, here is my question? Is it too late to apply or should I bother based on the information to follow:

DO student with COMLEX Level 1 and Level 2 both between 750 and 800. Similarly, my class rank and GPA match the quality of my COMLEX. Honors in every third year rotation. USMLE Step 1, didn't take. Given the lateness of my decision to possibly pursue this as a career option, I don't have time to set up additional rotations before the SF match in January so all I could do I apply with what I have done to this point.

Here are some other details, I really like another specialty (no reason to name specifically) and I'm undecided about which I like better. I'm just running out of time....I wish there was more time between required 3rd year rotations and decision time if y'll know what I mean. I feel like I'd be equally happy in either at this point. The unique thing about ophthalmology is the SF match being in January is I could go unmatched and still do the match in March for the other specialty I like. It doesn't seem that expensive to apply to the SF match and see what happens, but if I have no shot I don't want to do it. I was thinking maybe apply to 10-20 ophthalmology programs and hope for the best ($200-300).

Any insight from those with actual perspective into this field is greatly appreciated. No input needed from premeds. And yes, I know, if I wanted to do ophthalmology I should have taken USMLE. The USMLE ship has sailed, but you can still mention it if it makes you sleep better tonight. Also, any specific programs who might consider my application would be helpful.

Gracious

If you want ACGME ophtho, you need to take the USMLE 1 and 2. Without taking the USMLE you would be wasting your time. And the ship has not sailed, you can still take it if you really want ophtho. If not, just apply to DO programs. No one knows what a 700-800 complex score means anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want ACGME ophtho, you need to take the USMLE 1 and 2. Without taking the USMLE you would be wasting your time. And the ship has not sailed, you can still take it if you really want ophtho. If not, just apply to DO programs. No one knows what a 700-800 complex score means anyway.

100% right.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile