This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mushfu96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I am a Pre-Med Student from Chicago, US. My older brother went to Windsor University for Medical School after completing all his pre reqs from UIC (University of Illinois in Chicago), he did not complete his bachelors degree because it wasn't required by Windsor. Now my family wants me to go the same route because I am almost done with my pre reqs (I have Bio, Gen Chem, Physics, Writing, Math, Sociology, Psychology, Genetics, Biostats) only class I am missing so far is Organic chem.

My brother did make it, he did well on his boards, and just last year started his Internal Medicine residency in a hospital in Chicago. Many of his friends made it too are doing residencies all over the nation. He knows a lot of foreign/international medical students that were matched into residency programs this year.

I am debating whether I should apply to Windsor? and attend it assuming i get admission?

Since I am only a sophomore in college, if I get admitted for the upcoming September trimester then i will save 2 years of undergrad and thousands of dollars of tuition (from undergrad and grad school). American Medical school tuition averages about $200,000+ which I can avoid because Windsor would be about $80,000 total.

If anyone here is a current Windsor student, or a Windsor graduate, or is planning to apply to/attend Windsor, please share your insights, point of views as that will aid me in rendering a final decision..

I kindly appreciate your feedback, thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would strongly advise against this. The matching climate residencies for US-IMGs right now is poor and by the time you would graduate it will even worse with all of the new US graduates.

There are many steps to take and ways to fail before you would want to consider a place like Windsor, and some would say that you'd be better off just finding a different career than going to a bottom tier caribbean school.

Why do you want to be a doctor? What kind of specialty do you think you'd want to practice? Its not possible for you to know as a sophomore and you would be closing most doors by going to such a school. Just because there are some people who match into residencies from Windsor does not make it a guarantee for you and does not mean that its common (50% is a good guess).

My advice for you would be to set yourself up to apply to US allopathic schools by taking all of the prerequisites (including Orgo) and the MCAT. You didn't provide your stats to gauge competitiveness for US schools, but its early on anyways.

Going to a place like Windsor should be NO ONE'S first choice. It doesnt matter if it saves you 5 years of time, you could spend that much time waiting to (maybe, one day, if ever) match. Forget what your parents are telling you, they don't know the system and how it works.

Keep working and try to get into a US school. The path forward will be so much easier for you in the long run.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The landscape is different these days my friend. Go to SGU or don't go at all.

The landscape is different these days my friend. Go to SGU or don't go at all.
Bruh I don't get you. You withdrew from Carib school, bashed Carib for sometime and now you glorifying Carib schools after you decided to apply to SGU. I withdrew from SGU and I can tell you that place is ****ty as any other Caribbean school. Just because you want to go there doesn't make it a good option.

Reactions: 1 users
Bruh I don't get you. You withdrew from Carib school, bashed Carib for sometime and now you glorifying Carib schools after you decided to apply to SGU. I withdrew from SGU and I can tell you that place is ****ty as any other Caribbean school. Just because you want to go there doesn't make it a good option.

My brother, the key to success is to keep your head above water.

Not glorifying Carib schools bruh. You just have to understand how the Carib works and then make your move. Out of all the students who entered the match at SGU, >84% matched and then that number went into the 90's the next year. At other lower-tier Carib schools, that number is 50% or lower. It is possible to become a doc going to SGU but you got go in the most intensity. That's probably why you and I didn't make it at our schools. I'm going back into it to get it done this time.

Ok so I am a Pre-Med Student from Chicago, US. My older brother went to Windsor University for Medical School after completing all his pre reqs from UIC (University of Illinois in Chicago), he did not complete his bachelors degree because it wasn't required by Windsor. Now my family wants me to go the same route because I am almost done with my pre reqs (I have Bio, Gen Chem, Physics, Writing, Math, Sociology, Psychology, Genetics, Biostats) only class I am missing so far is Organic chem.

My brother did make it, he did well on his boards, and just last year started his Internal Medicine residency in a hospital in Chicago. Many of his friends made it too are doing residencies all over the nation. He knows a lot of foreign/international medical students that were matched into residency programs this year.

I am debating whether I should apply to Windsor? and attend it assuming i get admission?

Since I am only a sophomore in college, if I get admitted for the upcoming September trimester then i will save 2 years of undergrad and thousands of dollars of tuition (from undergrad and grad school). American Medical school tuition averages about $200,000+ which I can avoid because Windsor would be about $80,000 total.

If anyone here is a current Windsor student, or a Windsor graduate, or is planning to apply to/attend Windsor, please share your insights, point of views as that will aid me in rendering a final decision..

I kindly appreciate your feedback, thank you :)

There was a Windsor graduate on here a while back who passed all his exams on the first try and didn't match at all! The school is extremely shady and here is one article about them long ago.

Windsor University School of Medicine produces profits, few doctors

Please, try to finish your degree and actually apply to a US MD school, your matching to residency will be much better. Here are match reports to get an idea of the different between US MD, US DO, and US-IMG (i.e. Windsor, SGU, etc). Matching to residency from the Caribbean is nowhere near as good as matching from a US school.

Main Residency Match Data - The Match, National Resident Matching Program

Reactions: 1 users
There was a Windsor graduate on here a while back who passed all his exams on the first try and didn't match at all! The school is extremely shady and here is one article about them long ago.

Windsor University School of Medicine produces profits, few doctors

Please, try to finish your degree and actually apply to a US MD school, your matching to residency will be much better. Here are match reports to get an idea of the different between US MD, US DO, and US-IMG (i.e. Windsor, SGU, etc). Matching to residency from the Caribbean is nowhere near as good as matching from a US school.

Main Residency Match Data - The Match, National Resident Matching Program

That's a good article. I never knew that. I have friends that transferred there too.

I just got information from my cousin who returned back from the island. WINDSOR UNIVERSITY HAS BEEN DENIED CAAM-HP ACCREDITATION FOR THE SECOND TIME AND STUDENTS ARE TRANSFERRING OUT RIGHT AWAY. ALL THE LOANS ARE CANCELLED AND MOST THE SENIOR STAFF HAVE ALREADY LEFT. new students please call the school before you join.

Reactions: 1 user